Battery Operated Gravel Cleaner?

Zoomo
Does anybody have one they love for in between cleaning? I have really no suction on my python because the sink is level with the tank and is 3 rooms away, so was looking to find something to such all the dead snails out of the gravel and any eggs might be there, etc. They sell quite a few but was looking for somebody who has one and it works great with strong suck.

Fanatic
Do you leave the faucet running when using the python?
I don't know of any battery operated gravel vacuums, only manual prime ones.

Zoomo
Do you leave the faucet running when using the python?
I don't know of any battery operated gravel vacuums, only manual prime ones.

Yes. Recently, I started sucking the tubes so that I can get more suction by having it empty outside or into my bath tub, and that gave me more suction and cleaned the gravel more. I wanted something I can do like w/o having to pull out the python like on water change day. I found a few on Amazon, like Eheim makes one, but I have no idea how well they work.

Thanks.

Zoomo
Ordered this and we shall see.

51lz14DCo4L._SL1001_.jpg

jmaldo
Thought about one but the reviews were 60-40 negative. Looking forward to your review.

Zoomo
I got it yesterday but have not used it yet. I will post a review of sorts when I use it.

TheeLadyG
I'll be interested to hear it!

Zoomo
Still have not used it yet, sorry. It is sitting in it's box. I was going to use it for my betta tanks today but they are too short so the water would flip out of the tank. I will post once I use it.

Tol
Just noticed this thread, I am interested in what you think of it. I have been thinking of ordering one myself.

fa4960
I bought one of these, the AX-260. The brand is Sunsun who actually make some really great canister filters.

sunsun ax.jpg

This is btw not battery powered so you need to deal with the cord also, that however is not the main problem(s).

• The pump head is heavy and the tubing is flimsy so when you attached a 3/4 inch hose it is not easy to keep it together, plus the balance is not great with the heavy pump head at one end.
  • The build quality is poor - would need to replace the very thin metal pipes from the pump to the hose with some pcv tubing instead to get a solid handle
  • It clogs very easily - will work okay for a bare bottom tank but otherwise gravel and rotten plant parts will clog it in no time

Fortunately is was cheap because it won't get much use in the future....

Whatever you do, don't take this route to "easy" vacuuming and water change without lifting buckets!

Tol
  • The pump head is heavy and the tubing is flimsy so when you attached a 3/4 inch hose it is not easy to keep it together, plus the balance is not great with the heavy pump head at one end.
  • The build quality is poor - would need to replace the very thin metal pipes from the pump to the hose with some pcv tubing instead to get a solid handle
  • It clogs very easily - will work okay for a bare bottom tank but otherwise gravel and rotten plant parts will clog it in no time

Fortunately is was cheap because it won't get much use in the future....

Whatever you do, don't take this route to "easy" vacuuming and water change without lifting buckets!

Good to know on that one!
Yeah I really just want a decent vacuum that doesn't remove water so I can spend a little more time vacuuming. I use a Python to do water changes and would never go back to doing it any other way, but you really only get so long before you have to stop and fill it back up.

fa4960
My brother uses the Eheim battery powered vacuum. I haven't seen it in action but he is quite happy with it. I just prefer not to make the water more cloudy than necessary and hence prefer the vacuum to discharge out of the tank, but with the amount of water and dept of tank I also have more time to vacuum.....

BichirKeeper84
I use the eheims battery powered vacuum in my bichir tank for in between cleanings. Bichirs are notorious for not finishing their supper and leaving uneaten particles behind. I'm very happy with mine

Zoomo
I finally tried it. I liked it. It works great in my 40G, not so much in the smaller tanks and the ones on racks due to overhead room. I had my water half full, and used it to suck out dirt in the gravel. The only think is I cannot figure out how to get the collection net off to clean it. I have to read the instructions. Probably won't use too much though because I use the python to clean the gravel generally. It might be beneficial for spot cleaning.

TheeLadyG
Thanks, man!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zoomo
Replies
Views
mrHDpants
Replies
Views
Rivieraneo