Batta tank buddies?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Paicavi, Apr 8, 2010.

1. P

Paicavi Valued Member Member

Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting a Betta for a 5gallon tank my friend is going to give me. I just think they are gorgeous. I would like to put acouple more fish in though but I know they can be aggresive. I was thinking maybe a couple of tetras? I won't put more than 3 fish because of the tank size, any recomendations from the experts on witch fish they get along with? Maybe by personal experience?

2. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

So far I have tried snails and corys. So far so good--actually my betta seems more offended by the snail then the corys... probably because the cories scatter when he starts looking at them sideways; his sence of superiority is assured and he goes about his buisness. :rolleyes:

... the snail on the other hand, just stays motionless and that seems to disturb him :p ...silly betta!

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sometimes a betta will get along with Corys or Otos but they really don't like much of anything that swimms at the top level. Tetras can also be bad to nit the bettas flowey fins.

Since your tank is a 5g I wouldn't recommend anything other than a couple of Otos. The water changes need to be kept up because Otos are very sensitive to water quality.
    Carol

4. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

I wouldn't recommend tetras. They pretty much all seem to be prone to nipping fins now and again. I got a betta out of a Walmart tank of black skirt tetras(they ran out of cups to put them in) and most of his fins are chewed off. Of course, there were about 50 of them in a 5 gal, so that makes a big difference. How about a platy? They come in all different colors and are interesting to watch. Good luck w/ your new tank!

5. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I would go with one mystery snail. They are very fun and will take care of any algae problems that might come up. Plus they get really big and look awesome! Lol heres one of my mystery snails Homer.
    100_3382.JPG

6. OP
    OP
    P

Hi there, so I was reading about Ottos as you suggested them as tank buddies for a Betta and it seems that they need a lot of extra stuff. Will I have to plant live plants? See I only have fake stuff in my current tank and I have no experience with algae eaters. It also said they need a bubbler (only have one on my q tank) and all sort of stuff. Is it your experience that they indeed need all this or are they easier to keep than the literature says. I trust you guys better. Any thoughts? Shoul I just do Corys instead?

7. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Otos prefer live plants (mine LOVE to chill on the leaves of my sword plants). I don't know about a bubbler, mine do fine without them. I have two in my 55gal and two in my Hex5 with my feathertail male betta. Emmett (the feathertail male) would flare at them at first, but now he just ignores them and goes about his business, even when they freak out and start darting around the tank when I turn the lights on. They are very sensitive, though, and they are all wild-caught using cyanide (no oto you find in a pet store will be tank bred), so they tend to be less hardy than many other fish as they are stressed and usually half-starved in the pet stores. I overfeed both my 55gal and Hex5 so that the otos have a constant supply of diatoms (brown algae), which is their preferred diet. I've had some that have been with me for over a year, while I've had others that have died within a few days. They aren't what I'd consider a "beginner" fish (even though I was a beginner when I got them...I was lucky).

Cories like more room to move as they are VERY active fish (I have one albino in my 55gal and he is ALL OVER that tank all the time), so a 5gal might be a bit small for them. You could try it though, just make sure you stay with one of the smaller cories like the albinos, peppereds or pygmies and only get one or two.

8. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Also panda corries are one of the smaller kinds.

Phil :)

9. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I knew there'd be one I forgot. :p Yeah, pandas are ADORABLE! I want some, but we don't have any around here. :/

10. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

cories really like to be in larger groups, not 1 or 2. Pygmies need even larger groups to feel secure.

11. OP
    OP
    P

Awesome guys thank u. There is a really good fish store in the city and they might have pandas, I'll call. I can't wait to set up the tank, I think Bettas are just gorgeous.

12. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i think pandas can be a bit sensitive as well as ottos. peppered or julii are less so i think. perhaps if the tank was a bit more established, that might help? i agree with furallich (great pic btw), about snails. i have two nerites in my 20g. and though i don't have one with my bettas, it could be a nice friend to try. they are fun to watch. always seems like they have a plan lol. :D

but you'd want to stay away from fin nippers, like barbs, tetras. rasboras are peaceful....but like to be in a little larger group than just a couple.

13. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

My betta ate 3 ghost shrimp the other day! Bamboo shrimp do well with him though. My betta has also taken a bite out of my two mystery snails..... one lost a tentacle. He is nice to cardinal tetras though. (I thought he was getting along with 2 of my mollies.... till I woke up to a black molly with a eye injury and a bite out of his side gill). Betta are like pitbulls, they seem fine...... till one day......

14. E

Ekrindul New Member Member

I wouldn't put a mystery snail in a 5 gallon. They are just too messy. Nerite snails would be better if you want snails. They stay much smaller than apple (mystery) snails and do a much better job of cleaning the tank.

I also wouldn't put any other fish in that small of a tank with a betta. It's impossible to predict how the betta will behave with other fish and 5 gallons give the other fish no where to hide if he proves to be unpopular. My current betta used to live in a 10 gallon and he went after a platy I put in with him and had to take right out; he went after pigmy cories who had to go to my main tank; and he would have gone after anything else cause he's just aggressive. Now that he lives in a 26 gallon tank, he's much less aggressive. He still hates platy, but he completely ignores a school of 12 neons, 2 ottos and 3 amano shrimps (actually, he just gave up trying to catch them ... way too fast for him).

What I would suggest for a 5 gallon tank is a plant or two to help keep the water clean. Water wysteria would be perfect. It grows in low light and betta love to nap in it. It can grow fast so it eats up alot of the chemical waste products in the water. It also does not require special substrate or fertilizer. Just plant it in plain gravel.

15. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

zebra danios?

16. OP
    OP
    P

Why is it that the pretty ones are always the mean ones if you catch my drift :p . It is just cracking me up how the Bettas are described ( nice analogy with the pitbull btw) no training them since they're puppies I guess, bummer. It looks like the luck od the draw to me if you get an agressive one or not. I'm really thinking about getting another 10 gallon if my friend flakes out on me but I don't know if I can afford it. I called the fish store and they have panda corys witch btw are adorable as you said. They sure seem like a pain in the rear, but so was my dog and I love her to death!!!! I confess I'm not big into snails ( childhood trauma maybe?) although the pic was awesome. I would get sooo mad If I saw him biting my other fish, good thing I have another tank. I'm writing down all the suggestions btw so keep them coming !!!!

17. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi paicavi, I only skimmed the thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned.
    Imo, a 5g is just enough room for the betta.
    I wouldn't add cories.
    If you'd like to try that combo, definitely invest in the 10g.

18. OP
    OP
    P

Hey bass if you are ever in salt lake, they have them here in a couple of places

19. OP
    OP
    P

It seems that way Lucy thax, this is such an addiction!!!! I think I'm gonna end up using my rent money to get it!!!! So I need another opinion, I found on craigs list a 30 gallon tank, fully equipped with heater, thermometer, thermostat, bubbler, the works, 3 years old with al decorations and 5 fish for $200, what do you think

20. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Yep, it's an addiction. lol

Imo, too much $.
    I got my 30, everything included for $45.00.
    No fish though.
    What fish are in the tank? A lot of times they're fish that don't belong together or are in too small a tank.
    Their problem then becomes your problem. (need bigger tank or need to separate them)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice