Basil as floating plant?

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, today my mom sent me a picture of her basil floating in water and growing roots so that got me thinking. Would it be possible to have basil grow as a surface plant in an aquarium? Lol, it sounds so weird. Thx!

SixThreeOh

Well Known
Reaction score
Probably not. It grows really well in aquaponics though. Most things will grow in water for a short period while it develops, but dies after a bit.

OP
AcornTheBetta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SixThreeOh said:
Probably not. It grows really well in aquaponics though. Most things will grow in water for a short period while it develops, but dies after a bit.
Ok. I'm pretty sure basil growing in water for a long time.

barbiespoodle

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought some rooted basil. After I used what I needed for the recipe, I then rinsed off the roots, put it in water and added it to my kitchen windowsill garden. It did last for quite a while, giving me even more basil as I needed it.

But it did not last for long. In short, I would not consider it a long term plant for emersed roots in the aquarium.

On hind sight, I should have know better, Basil is an annual, has a single growing season, there was no way it would continue on once it's restricted growing season is over. It is keyed to grow, seed and then die off. I grow it every year and no matter what I do and I am someone who overwinters a lot of plants, I have never had it last more than a year.

If you really want to get into emersed roots in a tank, and they are great for a tank, actively suck all kinds of bad things in the tank, may I suggest pothos as the all out queen of emersed roots. I also have peace lilly's, and angel wing begonia's, but it is the pothos that are the best as far as having perennial emersed roots and above water leaves .

But back to your question, Sure, try Basil as an emersed plant in your tank, just make sure you use them in cooking and be prepared to have to replace them. It's just a thing with me, I don't use up valuable space in my tanks with short term plants. I'll plant the basil seeds I have not, but they will remain outside in a decorative pot to be used in recipes.

New Threads