Basil’s Tanks

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah a lighting adjustment almost always does the trick. You know in our hobby it's a game of patience. My 40 took over a month of adjustment to get the algae to stop. What a nightmare but rewarding.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dave125g said:
Yeah a lighting adjustment almost always does the trick. You know in our hobby it's a game of patience. My 40 took over a month of adjustment to get the algae to stop. What a nightmare but rewarding.
I just, hopefully, programmed it for 12 hours of complete darkness while still having the sunset occur. I do live the sunrise and sunset! Since I’m not at work tonight, l’ll see what it does. Then I’ll do the same with the other 40.
I think the 40 b is a challenge size since it’s shorter and wider.
Working with horses for 40+ years has certainly taught me patience lol! So I’ll get it right eventually!

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah the 40 is tough. Shorter tanks means brighter lighting towards the bottom. I'd love a ramping up light and ramping down light. Using CO2 makes those tough dial in. Plus those are expensive.

I too worked with horses from age 12 to 17. It does take patience my friend.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sitting on the couch watching the water pump back into the 40 b #1.
The sids are having a ball vacuuming whatever was stirred up off the plants and rocks. Love those little guys!
DBB55177-8E72-4F7F-9207-AF2F54563054.jpeg

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ah aquarium equipment lol!
My fancy Finnex heater in the 75 isn’t keeping the temp up with winter setting in. Sigh. So I just put my backup Aqueon pro on the other side of the tank
And the aqua stop n the Fluval 406 canister is leaking. Just received the replacement so that is a job for my day off tomorrow. After I spend almost a $1000 for new tires on my car! Really good tires but still Ouch!! But all my fish are thriving and happy!
So now off to do weekly WC on 40b #2, then take care of the horses, and go to work.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh and on the algae fighting front, I’ve done a couple of days of “cloudy” setting and then turning the lights off at about 2 pm. It will probably take another week or so to see if there is a difference.
I’m also thinking about Otto cats in all my tanks. My small LFS regularly stocks them. Just hope the loaches in both tanks don’t bother them.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The extra heater in the 75 seems to be doing the trick. Back up to temp. Now I need to purchase another backup heater!
Replaced the aqua stop and gasket on the Fluval 406 today with minimal water spillage. Go me lol! So far, no leaking. Yay!
And did the weekly WC on the 40b #1 today. Sooooo happy that tank is thriving now. I think (all appendages crossed!) that I nipped the Ich in the bud so I was going to purchase my remaining 4 sidthimunkis some friends but I just spent a good chunk of my paycheck on new tires on my Subaru. So bring it on winter!! :p
And more sids will hopefully happen in 2 weeks. They are rather expensive little buggers.
So I’m sitting in the couch while the new water pumps in and I’m loving the contrast between the two 40b tanks. One dark with black sand and background and one light with PFS and blue background.
And I’m enjoying watching the golden diamond barbs alternate between grazing in the sand and then swimming around the floating anacharis. I can’t wait to add the cherry barbs to this tank.
E5DC0AEF-A069-4188-A5FF-FA2FBD135D6D.jpeg
5ACB32BB-34D4-45E7-84AA-3BC89821B134.jpeg

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WC today for the 75. Placed some root tabs and did a little trimming to the red tiger lotus. I’ve let it get a bit out of hand so it is now sending all leaves up to the surface. Oops. So I trimmed about a third of these leaves in hopes that it will sprout bottom leaves again. I’m also removing duckweed daily to make sure the lotus gets enough light. It is however, sending out runners so that’s good. The large wisteria in the left ended up covered in algae a few weeks ago. Trimmed it back and started adding Seachem potassium to the tank. It’s starting to come back nicely. But the majority of leaves are rounded which I read can be from lack of light. So hopefully trimming the lotus leaves and diligently removing the duckweed will help.
Pictures are of my platinum green tiger barbs.
FA23F317-6417-42EC-BF47-AB0C0C37A318.jpeg
6325EF97-7D23-4E8A-8F43-97C9F35A90C8.jpeg

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ughh. Probably the main reason I’m petrified to try CO2.
We get power blips *all the time*.
Sometimes my stove clock blinks and I know it’s happened and sometimes, like just now, it’s not long enough to affect the clock. But I know it affects my light timers as I’m constantly resetting my lights to my custom 24/7 programming. Which maybe is why I’m having more algae than I would prefer as the light than default to the normal 24/7 settings?
I’ll need to pay more attention when a light doesn’t not seem to be following its custom schedule.
Anyway, back to CO2. I think most systems are on a timer? My luck, the electric would blip and the CO2 would not shut off. Need to research more.
Merry Christmas everyone!!

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Finished WC on 40b #1 and enjoying an adult beverage and admiring my tanks. Beverage of choice is a nice Rose from a local Maryland winery. :happy:

On both 40 breeders, although it is a bit labor intensive, I’ve been turning the lights to “cloudy” at about 1 pm and then to “moonlight” and then off by 2 pm. Then I reset the custom 24/7 so the lights come on at 6 am and ramp through sunrise to high sun lighting.
That really seems to have decreased the algae growth.
And I’m over the top happy about how my problem tank, 40 b #1 is doing. Fish are doing great and plants are growing! I’ve now trimmed the tallest H. augustifolia twice and replanted the top. The wisteria has nice new growth and the dwarf sag is sending out runners. And I just caught 2 of the sids doing a drive by while I’m trying to photograph plants lol!
526ADD55-F062-4C26-A14A-14E3487B94C9.jpeg
8AFD3A7A-A63E-444B-83B8-4DC9B6AA234E.jpeg
92603AC3-2BCC-4021-91E1-C00B872773CB.jpeg
473C3C7F-A323-4D15-8F99-981C8279FA08.jpeg
E50A0E3D-0E64-405F-9D61-90FEB0A14BC1.jpeg
F5D4F9DB-746F-405A-A0DF-9F5847D247D9.jpeg
FCFCC2BD-E036-4F47-A09A-054AB6956BDA.jpeg

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Woohoo! Look guys! This is the hygrophila that I cut and planted a week ago in 40b #1. No algae!!
So maybe my light regiment is working.
I’m still going to play around with the lights though. Really want it to be automatic. I may try a dimming timer and using the default 25/7 feature instead of the custom 24/7.
Supposedly, when the lights are turned off in the default 25/7 and then turned back on, the cycle is supposed to be on the correct time. The custom setting comes back on in the time of the cycle where it was turned off. So I’ll see.
B4689B91-5814-4AC2-96D0-7BB754D10201.jpeg

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The golden diamond barb gang is in the doghouse lol!
I discovered they have been chewing on the plants. I’ve been scratching my head about why those plants haven’t seemed to be growing as nicely as I thought they should.
So I guess I’ll go back to feeding these guys twice a day but a small amount.
I want to add more plants anyway. My northern LFS usually has a nice selection of fairly large plants.
That will be my next project.
Meanwhile, I’m currently acclimating 6 new sidthimunkis in the 40 b #1. :D :;bananawater

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Busy fish weekend!
I’m impatient. There I said it lol! Wanted to fill in the 40b #2 so I ran up to my northern LFS and purchased some more plants.
Added Brazilian pennywort, green myrio, super red ludwegia, and red jungle val. I gave a stern warning to the barb gang to leave the plants in the sand! However, I won’t be surprised to find a good many floating plants in the morning.
F58830B5-8237-4EFE-99B9-320DA4B87C29.jpeg
In other news, I was watching my rasbora crew tonight in the 40b #1 and noticed just a couple of white spots on two of them. Arghh. The ich is back. I don’t know if it resurfaced from 3 weeks ago or came with the new sidthimunkis. But I don’t see any spots on the sids. Dosed the tank with a half dose of super ich cure and turned up the temp. I’ll again do my modified treatment schedule that seems to work when only using a half dose. And crossing all appendages.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Finished ich treatment in the 40b #1. Fingers crossed it stays away this time. All fish look great!
Moved the cherry barbs into 40b #2 on Monday. Everyone is settling in.
Now to start scaping my sparkling gourami bedroom tank. :)
Cherry barb pictures!!
4C8145FF-BD96-4604-96C8-EF7D30E69D7F.jpeg
A1E057A3-FE62-43E9-BDAE-ED7F87424F94.jpeg
5707763F-7901-40F3-A69B-4CF70C28E556.jpeg

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ughh. Just started a thread about seeing some sort of small red protrusion that looks like its coming from one gill of one of my golden diamond barbs. I also saw him flashing but he’s done that every now and again even before I moved them from the 75 gallon.
Then I’m watching the 75 and notice 2 of the Queen loaches flashing. I sat right next to the tank and looked and looked for an ick spot but could find nary a one.
I’m currently pumping water back into the 40 barb tank and I’m going to treat with Prazipro but keep a close eye on them looking for ick. After all I just got finished treating the 40b #1 for ick and I know contamination is going to occur no matter how careful one is.
Tomorrow is WC day for the 75 so I’ll then dose that one.
Sigh. All the fish I’ve added to the 75 and the barb tank were quarantined and treated with Levamisole. Might need to add Prazipro to that regime.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom