Basil’s Tanks

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I emptied about 80% of the water, and got rid of the wood as it was covered in algae and smelled horrible. Yuck. My wood in the 75 does not smell!
I ended up trashing the tall wisteria as it was covered in algae. I pulled all the crypts except for a few small runners and cleaned the algae off them and let them soak in a bucket of tank water with excel added. The clump of crypt willisi ended up separating so I had several small plants to replant.
I was tired and about out of time at this point so I didn’t change out the substrate.
But I think I figured out what is/was? killing the sids. I meant to rinse the plants in a clean bucket and I forgot.
I think the Excel, even at the correct dose, killed my sids. Loaches are, after all, more sensitive than other fish. Searching revealed a number of posts claiming fish deaths due to Excel. I know correlation is not always causation but.....
I lost 2 more sids before I was able to do a 50% WC. The 3 remaining are doing well.
So here is the tank after the cleaning and replanting. Provided the remaining sids are ok, I’ll get more and put them in quarantine in a couple of weeks.
951D99DC-C95C-42B0-BBBD-55651AEE5481.jpeg

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Today I did some “gardening” in the 75. Pulled out one small piece of driftwood with java fern attached and added it to the 40 b #2.
Also pulled all the anacharis from the 75 and also added them to the new 40.
Even though I added media from my 75 filter to the filter for the new 40, it was testing at 1.0 ppm ammonia. So I added a partial bottle of TSS that I had. 2 days later, ammonia was 0.25 and nitrites 0.25. The next day ammonia 0 and nitrites 0.
That’s good! Added some ammonia tonight so I’ll see what it reads tomorrow. If I don’t see anymore nitrites, I’ll add the golden diamond barbs this weekend.
E7FB0F07-769D-40A9-840F-C05D34814F7D.jpeg

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s been a busy fish week!
This weekend I purchased 6 new dwarf chain loaches and added them to the first 40 b. I know, I didn’t do quarantine but my remaining three seemed stressed and I’ve learned that sids really like a crowd. I will treat the tank with Levamisole. And they are all doing well so far.
I moved the golden diamond barbs to the new 40 b. I really thought I had made a horrible mistake doing that as they were pretty stressed. But they were much better today so I hope they will be ok.
I do need to add some more plants and hiding spots to the tank. They definitely liked to hide some in the 75.
And this morning I added the Tiger barbs from quarantine to the 75. So now that tank has 16 Tiger barbs and 7 Queen loaches. The barbs were all having a grand time getting to know each other. And even the loaches were curious as to the newcomers.
I am thinking about returning the lone cherry barb to my LFS and getting another 6 brilliant rasboras. I am growing fond of larger schools of a single fish. So that tank would be 12 rasboras and 9 dwarf chain loaches.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Make that 15 Tiger barbs in the 75. :(
The smallest green barb has not really grown much since I got him and the past few days had seemed stressed. Then he disappeared. Yesterday, a barb skeleton appeared. I think the loaches enjoyed their extra meal.:eek:

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Too bad you lost 1. I have found that the first few generations of glow fish tetra are sometimes considerably smaller then there black skirt counterparts. Same may be true of the tiger barbs. I've also found them to be less aggresive. Tiger barbs are serious fin nippers. Have you found the glow barbs to be less aggresive?

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dave125g said:
Too bad you lost 1. I have found that the first few generations of glow fish tetra are sometimes considerably smaller then there black skirt counterparts. Same may be true of the tiger barbs. I've also found them to be less aggresive. Tiger barbs are serious fin nippers. Have you found the glow barbs to be less aggresive?
This was a dark green one.
I don’t find any of my tiger barbs to be horrible fin nippers. They mostly chase. And my big glow male is the worst offender lol! Although the chasing has definitely diminished with a greater number of them.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It usually does in large schools. I kept them years ago. Just regular tiger barbs, with each other it was ok. But nothing else would work with them. Not even cichlids. Either the cichlid would eat them or the barbs would fin nip the cichlids. This was maybe 30 years ago. I always wanted a large species only tank with 20-30 of them.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dave125g said:
It usually does in large schools. I kept them years ago. Just regular tiger barbs, with each other it was ok. But nothing else would work with them. Not even cichlids. Either the cichlid would eat them or the barbs would fin nip the cichlids. This was maybe 30 years ago. I always wanted a large species only tank with 20-30 of them.
I saw some gorgeous albino Tigers in my one LFS a few months ago. They were more orange than tan. Can’t get them out of my mind so I might keep an eye out for them in the spring. 4 of them would bring the number to 19 Tiger barbs. But that should be fine in a 75. Along with the 7 Queen loaches of course.
If someone had told me when I started this tank 18 months ago that I would stock it with such a large group of tiger barbs, I would have told them they were crazy lol!

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Video of the 75 from yesterday. Please excuse the Ravens game in the background lol! (But what a great game!)

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Basil said:
I saw some gorgeous albino Tigers in my one LFS a few months ago. They were more orange than tan. Can’t get them out of my mind so I might keep an eye out for them in the spring. 4 of them would bring the number to 19 Tiger barbs. But that should be fine in a 75. Along with the 7 Queen loaches of course.
If someone had told me when I started this tank 18 months ago that I would stock it with such a large group of tiger barbs, I would have told them they were crazy lol!
I'm considering giving all my guppies in the 40 to the cichlids in the 125 and putting a big school of tiger barbs in the 40.

There good with live plants right?
Basil said:
Video of the 75 from yesterday. Please excuse the Ravens game in the background lol! (But what a great game!)
Haven't watched your video yet , but Baltimore has been doing great since they handed the Patriots there first loss.They're definitely going to the playoffs this year.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dave125g said:
I'm considering giving all my guppies in the 40 to the cichlids in the 125 and putting a big school of tiger barbs in the 40.

There good with live plants right?
They are great with live plants. I think a moderate to heavily planted tank is a must with them.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Basil said:
They are great with live plants. I think a moderate to heavily planted tank is a must with them.
Thanks man. My 40 is very heavily planted.
With that I will stop hijacking your thread.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dave125g said:
Thanks man. My 40 is very heavily planted.
With that I will stop hijacking your thread.
Lol! No problem! It doesn’t get much traffic anyway. :happy:

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I did a northern LFS trip yesterday and purchased 6 more brilliant rasboras and some plants. :)
I put all in the 40b #1.
I think it’s sufficiently planted now!
Fingers crossed it all grows. I also just switched from Flourish to Nilog ThriveC so hopefully that makes a difference.
I added hygrofila augustifolia which is supposed to grow like crazy, crypt balansae, and dwarf sag.
A week ago I had purchased wood on slate. I usually make my own but this was only $20 so I couldn’t resist! It soaked all week and I rinsed it with boiling water. Today I glued on some java fern propagated from the 75 and added that also.
I bought too much dwarf sag so the 75 got one and the 40b #2 got three.
Although I’ve been really good about quarantine, I figured with adding the sids last week, and the rasboras yesterday, I’ll just treat this tank with Levamisole. Doing a 40 isn’t so bad.

DDAF1B94-4AEE-4B37-970B-A2B01067A4A7.jpeg

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh and I moved my lone cherry barb girl to the quarantine tank.
I’ll get some more cherries and add them in with the golden diamond barbs after quarantine.
I was going to do Corys but the golden diamond barbs really do like to hang out at the bottom which is probably why the loaches were chewing on their tails in the 75.
So I’ll skip any bottom dwellers in this tank.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Arghhh, my 40 b #1 is going to do me in lol!
I lost 2 more sids. So on Sunday, I did this:
4F1606FE-32FF-4B8D-AB63-3AB9B4C18D24.jpeg

Absolutely empty. Got rid of the sand and replaced it with BDBS which I also have in my 75.Replanted everything and of course, I didn’t get it exactly like I had it.
The good news is so far, my remaining sids are doing well. Then on Monday, I saw one flashing. That pretty much means one thing. And today I saw about 3 spots on one rasbora and just 1 on another.
But I’m not surprised. Two fish additions and then a total tank overhaul=stress.
Turned up the temp and added the half dose of Super Ich Cure. I’ll do the modified protocol I did when I treated the sids in quarantine which is 2 additions of half dose 48 hours apart, 50% WC and then treat again with 2 half doses 48 hours apart, another 50% WC and then put charcoal in.
And I’m crossing all appendages that I don’t spread it. Against my better judgement, I used my pump to put 10 gallons of the old tank water back into the tank. I did not have enough RO water made up.
I usually only use that pump for clean water into the tanks.
Of course, I had drained 50% of the water out of the 75 today for its WC and then decided to freak about cross contamination:eek: But I had rinsed the pump tubing with very hot water so please let it be ok.

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The “problem” tank looks good this morning. Nice, active fish. I have one sid who is apparantely staaaarving and is swimming in the middle of the rasboras going after the flakes right along with them! I love it.
Still slowly raising the temp up to 82. Bit I only see one white spot on one fish.
The bdbs isn’t as sparkly as the Caribsea but that’s ok.

E147E7BD-87F1-4A68-B208-E4FD6D562532.jpeg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom