Basic Dog Commands

zeebo
Hi,

I was just wondering.....

Other than the Come, Sit, Stay commands, what other commands are used on dogs?

It will be good to share how you train yr dog to understand that particular command.

x

gremlin
My puppy knows sit, stay, down, shake, sit pretty (sitting up with front paws in the air), roll over, jump (through a hula hoop) and occasionally, come. When she was a puppy, she would jump on everyone. I could not get her to stop jumping on people. so I taught her to jump through a hula hoop. Now she doesn't jump on people, but she will jump through the hoop. I'm trying to teach her to crawl (on her belly) but she keeps sticking her rump in the air. Oh well, she'll learn it eventually (I hope). after all, it only took 5 minutes to teach her to shake! She also knows 'out' (which means get out of my garden). I finally had to fence off my garden, she was stealing my tomatoes and bell peppers right off the plants. she would come up behind me and steal the carrots right out of my hand.

zeebo
HI gremlin,

hehe yr dog sounds so adorable.

How do u get her to shake and sit pretty?
What's the command u use for 'crawl on her belly'?

I am still trying to teach mine to come but he doesn't always respond. I can't proceed to other commands since I haven't quite achieve success with come.

I realize some people use 'down' and some use 'drop'.....it means the same thing right - get the dog to lie with his belly and all 4s on the floor?

MissMTS
To get a puppy to shake, you should teach them to sit first. After they learn to sit, tell them to sit, and then say "Shake" and grab their paw and shake it. Then praise them and give them a treat. After a few times they will get the idea. After they master this you can modify it and have your dog wave (which is basically shaking without grabbing their paw). I also find "lay down" a useful command.

zeebo
HI newbeefishlover,

Oh! Shake means to shake hands!

I thought shake meant shaking his entire body, u know, like how a dogs would shake his entire body after shower to get the as much water off him.

My puppy is so stubborn I can't get him focus during training.

Frogger
Before you try to train him take him for a walk or do something with him that will cut down on his energy. The less energy the better he will be able to focus on you and not get all crazy hyper.

nmwierman1977
A good way to train your puppy is to have the treat in your hand and making sure he sees it. I taught my dogs how to sit,stay,down(which is lay down)fetch and bring back and give back,leave it( which is when there is something you don't want them to get on the floor or something you tell them to leave it),dance, sit pretty, shake, and give 5. You can train them to do anything with a treat as long as they know you have one. I also trained them how to go potty in a litter box with a treat because we used to live in an upper condo and it was easier to have them go potty in a litter box then it was to take them up and down the stairs every hour or so. If you want to know how I did any of these things I can tell you. Natalie

gremlin
MystI (my dog) would always be putting her paws on things and people, so I basically had her put her paws on things it was ok for her to. I had her sit, then held my hand out. she would paw at my hand and I told her 'good shake' until I put my hand out and said 'shake' and she put her paw in my hand. I don't always use treats to train her, because sometimes she would be more focused on the treat than on what I was asking her to do. as for sit pretty, I had her sit, then I held a treat just out of her reach over her head. Not high enough she had to stand up to get it, but enough that she had to lift her front paws off the floor to reach it. Once she was comfortable with doing that, I introduced the words 'sit pretty'. So now, I just tell her to sit pretty and she sits with her front paws in the air. I also taught her 'touch' where she touches something with her nose. So far, pretty much she will touch my hand. We haven't gone any farther than that yet, but she will touch my hand with her nose no matter where I have my hand. The next step will be to have her touch something IN my hand, then touch that item when it is just BY my hand, then when it is just sitting somewhere without my hand being there. Instead of telling her 'touch', I will tell her to "touch the ball" or "touch the rope" or "touch whatever I want her to touch". As for crawling, I tell her 'crawl' as a move a treat along the ground right in front of her nose when she is laying down. She still gets up to follow it. I thought about teaching her to shake her whole body on command. She has a spot on the center of her back that is ticklish. If I scritch that certain spot, I can make her shake her body. I would have to pick a word to use as the command - maybe tickle or shiver - then scritch her back and when she shakes, tell her 'good tickle/shiver' and give her a treat until she starts to shake on command. She still isn't entirely reliable on the come command. She loves to run and if the gate is opened, she will sneak out so fast she leaves her shadow behind! Once she gets in the front yard, she will take off down the street and the only way we can get her back is to follow in the car. She loves to ride in the car, so I have the side door of the van open and call her and she will come running and jump in the van. If we are at the dog park, she is much more reliable. She will come every time I call her. It is just when she is loose in our front yard. I think it is because we haven't really practiced a whole lot. After all, I don't really want to let her run loose where she might get hit by a car. If she has her leash and harness on and I have her in the front yard, she comes right away. If she has a leash on, but it is not attached to anything, she won't come until she is done with all of her explorations.

zeebo
HI Frogger, nmwierman1977 & gremlin,

Thanks for the replies.

nmwierman1977, Thank you for sharing with me how you train your dog. I tried treats. He responds to treats but without treats he refuse to come. After a while, even the treats don't attract him anymore.

U can get yr dog to dance???!!! WOW!! How do u do that? U have taught him many things. Any advise from u is appreciated.

gremlin, Thank you for sharing with me how you train Mysti. MystI sounds so lovely. My puppy will not respond once we let him out in the garden. He would not come no matter how we call for him. I have to go get him myself. Otherwise he only shows up at the door whenever he feels like, all filthy with dirt & grass.

After a bath he runs away from me and gets himself dirty again. I have to re-bath him.

He also keeps chewing on his lead.

He goes potty for No.1 in his box. But I can't get him to No.2 in the box.

I desperately need to train him.

x

angelfish220
My dog will basically do anything for cheese. so we train him new tricks with cheese. He does sit, down, high five, shake hands, bad dog ( he covers his nose with his paw), door (we trained him this because we live on a farm and sometimes you would be trying to do something and he tries to 'help' which is basically getting in the way so when we motion this he goes to the house door steps ands sits there till we whistle) jump (through a hola hoop) talk (bark) bang (you make a motion like a gun, say bang, and he plays dead on the floor) and at the moment we are trying to get him skate board.

and he does all that stupid stuff, for cheese.

zeebo
HI angelfish220,

Thanks for your post.

just Cheese? WOW!

How do u get him to play dead....I mean how do u get him to understand he has to lie down and not move when u go BANG?

My pup whimpers and whines a lot.

gremlin
Yes - you just have to find the one thing that your dog will do anything for. I watch a couple of dog training shows and they use boiled chicken a lot. sometimes a bit of peanut butter (if you mix it with some store bought bread, you can make a peanut butter paste that can be rolled into balls so it isn't quite so messy). With any command, you should start somewhere with no distractions. That's why I still haven't got MystI completely trained with the come command in our front yard. There are just too many distractions for her to pay attention to me. as for potty training in the box, you may want to put some of his #2 in the box so the odor is there and he sees it there so he knows it is ok to go there. Does he prefer grass, gravel, or dirt? How does that compare with what is in his box? MystI will go #1 just about anywhere, but she prefers short grass for #2. If I haven't mowed the back lawn for a while, she will find the shortest patch of grass to use or will go on the back walkway (cinder block). I guess the tall grass just tickles...

zeebo
HI gremlin,

Thanks.

I am going to find some treats that he will like and I am going to put his pooh in his box.

My grass is short. We are facing a drought.

angelfish220
Well after we got him to know lay down and bad dog and stay. then we got him to do lay down and bad dog at the same time, then we added stay to the eqation and the whole time we used the 'gun' hand motion. That's another thing, I find that dogs respond to hand motions easier than words, they tend to get words confused.

zeebo
hI angelfish220,

Thanks!
I found this
and will use the hand command together with verbal command to train my pup.
Wish me success!

gremlin
I use hand motions for MystI too. Sometimes she will respond better to the hand signal than the spoken command. - You can also use a verbal command and teach your dog to go potty on command. I haven't tried that yet because you have to make sure your dog has no place to go unless you are there and can put a command to it. Basically, potty training your dog all over again.

zeebo
HI gremlin,

I so wish I can get my pup to potty on command.
So far has has learned to sit, stay & down.

He knows where the potty box is and he will do it in the mornings when he wakes up BUT he eats his #2 if I don't wake up early enough.

Though he knows where the potty box is, he refuse to go there other times and runs to the study to do his #1 ops:.

I am trying to teach him to stand on command.

gremlin
poop eating actually has a name, but I don't remember it right off. You can purchase a supplement that makes their poop taste bad, or you can try a 'home remedy' that actually works pretty well. Feed your dog a piece of pineapple every day. It makes their poop not tastes good. also, sometimes they try to "recycle" because their food is not fully digesting. Either because of the quality (or lack thereof) or because the dog is eating too fast. If your pup eats too fast, try feeding smaller amounts throughout the day (toys that make them work for their food are good for this if you can't be home) or sit by your pup when he is eating and drop about 6-7 kibbles in at a time. Wait for him to eat those pieces and look at you before you put more in his bowl. (this is also a good way to get dogs who guard their food to not be quite so possessive about their food bowls).

King_Snuggles
come, sit, lay down, stay, no noise, find the car, find the chair, sit on the cat, pee and poo on command (make busy), ring the bell to go out, find the door, fetch, give, go to bed, and that's all I can think of at the moment. ooo and four an the floor (no jumping)
her name is Liz and she is a 8 month puppy and she really does all that on command.

zeebo
HI King_Snuggles,

OMGosh!
I can't believe you taught her all that! That's really impressive.

Can you share how you train her to :
1) no noise,
2) find the car
3) find the chair
4) sit on the cat
5) pee and poo on command (make busy)
6) ring the bell to go out
7) find the door

x

King_Snuggles
Liz is a seeing eye dog in training, so everything is done by repetition.
no noise I whenever she makes any noise you take her firmly by the snout look her in the eyes and say no noise
find the car doorn and chair are all by repeating it whenever you are going to that object. she is getting good at finding the car now she will stop at the right one when we try to keep walking

sit on the cat is because she is much bigger than the cat and she has been yelled at when she bites her. she figured when the cat would attack her ankles she would just sit. so we would tell her to sit on the cat when she was already sitting on the cat and then praise her. now we can tell her to sit on the cat and she will try the cat usually runs though. they really love each other.

make busy is the pee command and when ever she would pee we would tell her to make busy and big busy is . . well you get the idea. she would always go in the same spot and has to be with in a foot of your feet. (a blind person doesn't want to search very long)

because she is not aloud to make noise its hard to tell when she want to go out to make busy she would sit by the door and just look at us so we hung a bell and would tell her to ring it then we would let her out. she cought on really fast.

we are working on no sniffing the crotch now. she will wait for someone to come to her to be petted. she would go up to them and sit then look with that puppy face till they petted her but once company would touch her she would sniff the crotch so she is getting yelled at for that now but she is learning fast.

just a side note she has a lot of rules because she is not our dog we have to raise and train her a certain way. she has never had people food, never been hit (scolded phiscialy) and she does not get treats of any kind ecept ice cubes and never when training. just as a snack.

zeebo
HI King_Snuggles,

Wow. I am beyond words. Actually I was rather moved reading that you are training Liz to be a Seeing Eye Dog. Training without treats and solely on repetition requires so much patience. On top of that, successful Seeing Eye Dogs later do so much for their owners.

I applaud you.

I am going to be more patient with my pup.

Thank You.

King_Snuggles
we as in my mom, sister, dad and me, are only puppy raisers when she is ready (around 18 months) we will give her back the Southeastern Guide Dogs and they will train her for another 6 months to do the really hard stuff like not crossing the street when a car is coming.

but we get to get a new puppy every 18 months and they are so fun (once house trained)

zeebo
hehe,

Keep up the good work, King_Snuggles.

yeah I understand they can be fun when house trained.
I am still training my pup to go potty in his box.
He does it sometimes and sometimes not.

Shaina
Your guys' dogs do some pretty cool stuff, and training a future service dog is no small task! I currently have two dogs; this is what they know:

Download the original attachment

**Kim**
- 13 months old, rescued at 12 weeks w/ no training

Sit
Down – Lay down/fold down
Stand
Stay – Can be used for sit, down, or stand
Wait – Like stay, but she can change positions as long as she doesn’t move her from her location – more temporary
Up – Jump onto/into indicated object
Off – Remove yourself from indicated object (car, couch, human, whatever)
Here – Come to me immediately and sit in front of me
Heel – Stay close on my left, head-shoulder by my leg
Side – Like heel, but on the right (just learning this one now)
Front – Move to sit in front of me
Around – Move from front back to heel by going around me
Swing – Move from front back to heel directly, swinging butt around
Easy – Slower
Jump – Jump over indicated object
Get it – Pick up whatever I’m pointing to (retrieve)
Bring it – Carry whatever’s in your mouth to me
Drop it – Drop what’s in your mouth
Give it – Drop what’s in your mouth in my hand
Take it – Take what’s in my hand into your mouth
Crate – Go in your crate
In – Go through doorway
Okay – Generic release command (allowed to break stay/wait, etc.)
All done – training time is over
Go Potty
Shake – Target left paw to my hand
Paw – Target right paw to my hand
High Fives – stand on hind legs and target each front paw to the corresponding hand
Touch – Touch nose to my hand
Watch – Look directly at my face (good for getting attention amidst distractions)
Where’s <DH’s name> – Go to him
Dinner – Stop what she's doing: it's time for her breakfast/dinner
This way – When off lead or on long lead, turn in the direction I’m going
Come on – When off lead or on long lead, move toward me (don’t have to come all the way – kind of an informal recall)
Back – Move straight backwards
Leave it – Leave whatever food/smell/other thing you want alone (good for when I drop food by accident and don’t want her eating it or when passing overflowing dumpsters or whatever, so I don’t have to dive for her to keep her off it)
Good – That’s what I was looking for
No – Don’t do that

We’re working on Bow, Crawl, and Wave right now and, hopefully, finding my keys for me

**Web** - 11 months old, but we've only had him 3 weeks; he had no training either

Sit
Down
Crate
Dinner
Wait
Come (Kim’s “Here”)
Shake
Paw
Potty

I got into training because KI'm was really shy and fearful when we got her -- afraid of us, other animals, the wind, you name it...training really drew her out and she picked things up quickly, so we just kinda, kept going.

King_Snuggles
around swing and jump is all Liz does not know.
agility dog? my old dog Ginger did agility in her youth she took the gold is some local thingy but I think that's are far as she went

Shaina
around swing and jump is all Liz does not know.
agility dog? my old dog Ginger did agility in her youth she took the gold is some local thingy but I think that's are far as she went

She's just starting agility and novice obedience (very different disciplines, I know), so I imagine we'll be learning a lot more over the next few weeks. I have a lot of spare time right now, being summer, so I figured taking some dog classes would be fun. Can't play with the fish all the time

zeebo
HI Shaina,

great training with KI'm & Web.

Do u use hand signals?
If u do, what's yr hand signal for:
1) Wait
2) Front
3) Side
4) Here

x

Shaina
HI Shaina,

great training with KI'm & Web.

Do u use hand signals?
If u do, what's yr hand signal for:
1) Wait
2) Front
3) Side
4) Here

x

I do use a lot of hand signals, especially in training, as KI'm seems to pick up on them more quickly than words.

I don't, however, have hand signals for wait or here -- wait is usually momentary so I did bother with a hand signal, and a recall (here) is not allowed to have a hand signal in Obedience trials. If we are out somewhere and I call her to me from a distance I'll wave an arm so she can see me more easily, but that's about it.

Front is taking my right hand (for some reason if I use my left she sits crooked), holding it out in front of me at a downward angle, loose, then pulling pulling it in toward my navel while saying "front". This gives her a target, which tends to place her close and square in front of me...the slight upward motion of the hand helps remind her to sit (her sit in a flat, horizontal palm raise)

Side, I start with my left hand off my hip on the left, then draw a U by moving my hand back then forward again, ending on my hip, while saying "swing", if that makes sense. Basically "drawing" an abbreviated version of the pattern I want her nose to follow to get to my hip. This signal probably sounds even weirder than the first one, but it evolved from teaching her to "swing" by luring.

nmwierman1977
Have you thought about taking him to training classes? When I first bought my first dog we took him to Petsmart. He was there for a few sessions and we learned a lot, but then I had to take him out cuz he had gotten ear mites from another petsmarts grooming salon. If the treats stop to work then praising him goes a long way. When he does something you want make sure you make a big deal about and praise him. Like when you call him to you and he comes Say "good boy " with excitement in your voice and pet him. Make a big deal about it. Training dogs is like raising a child. They always respond well with praise and some kind of reward. Most of all just like with children you need to have patience with him and take your time. I hope you find something that helps you. Natalie

zeebo
HI Shaina & nmwierman1977,

x Shaina for sharing.

nmwierman1977, I don't have time to take him for classes so I am training him myself.

Now, he has learned to sit, down, stay, & eat on command.
I am teaching him stand at the moment.

It really helped with you guys sharing on this thread coz I pick up your tips and apply them.

He also knows his potty box and has also begin to do his #2 there.
Only problem is he will only go to his potty box when he wakes up in the morning. The rest of the day he refuse to go there and would do his #1 anywhere he likes. Now, we are trying to teach him to go to potty box no matter what time of the day.

nmwierman1977
Well it sounds like you are doing a good job with him. Everything takes time like I said and you just have to be patient. He eventually will catch on and will do it all the time. Keep up the good work. natalie

zeebo
x nmwierman1977

zeebo
Hi,

I am so delighted I have to post!
my pup for the 1st time went to his potty box on his own to pee!

gremlin
congratulations ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I know you made a HUGE fuss over how wonderful he did...

zeebo
HI gremlin,

You bet!

nmwierman1977
That's great Zeebo. See I told you he would eventually do it for you.

angelfish220
Yeah!!!! Now we need to get him to pee in the toilet like Butterfly's cat...

zeebo
hehe Thanks guys!

Redwagtail
HI there.
I have 2 bichons which just love doing tricks. They walk forwards and backwards on their back legs, beg like this:
and roll over. They also do basic comands ( sit, stay, come, lie down, roll over, shake, high five etc). They love the agility courses we take them to as well. Poppy loves the tunnel, lillie loves the see saw. Another cute thing we do is hide and seek. we say hide and lillie hides. We then say to poppy "where's lillie" and she searches the whole house looking for her. I love playing hide and seek with them, it's so cute! I also hide sometimes and poppy gets so excited when she finds you! Lillie also goes on her hind legs and spins in a circle!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jenmur
Replies
Views
gabyjaspan
Replies
Views
Mary765
  • Question
Replies