Basic aquarium kit recommendation

steph746

Reaction score
Hello,

New member and first post here.

I'd like to get my son (12 years old) a basic freshwater aquarium set (with filter) for his birthday. Do you have any recommendations on a brand and place to purchase it? I'd like to get a nice one, but not too large. Nice meaning not a noisy filter I suppose :)

I'd prefer not to get it on Amazon.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
steph746 said:
Hello,

New member and first post here.

I'd like to get my son (12 years old) a basic freshwater aquarium set (with filter) for his birthday. Do you have any recommendations on a brand and place to purchase it? I'd like to get a nice one, but not too large. Nice meaning not a noisy filter I suppose :)

I'd prefer not to get it on Amazon.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Check out the Fluval Flex. They are available in 32.5, 15 and 9 gallons. I have the 32.5 and 15.

Before getting fish, I’d also suggest you read this. https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

OP
S

steph746

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
Check out the Fluval Flex. They are available in 32.5, 15 and 9 gallons. I have the 32.5 and 15.

Before getting fish, I’d also suggest you read this. Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
Thanks very much. I'll check this out and read through that information. Do you think a 9 gallon tank is too small for a starter tank? Does the Fluval Flex filter constantly run or does it go off and on?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
steph746 said:
Thanks very much. I'll check this out and read through that information. Do you think a 9 gallon tank is too small for a starter tank? Does the Fluval Flex filter constantly run or does it go off and on?
In my opinion, a 9 gallon is too small. Very much limits the type and number of fish you’re able to keep.

Any filter is going to run constantly, but the Flex filters are very quiet.

OP
S

steph746

Reaction score
steph746 said:
I understand. Thanks again for your recommendations. Where would you recommend purchasing this?

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!!
What kind of fish are you interested in keeping?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
steph746 said:
I understand. Thanks again for your recommendations. Where would you recommend purchasing this?
You’re welcome.

While they may not keep them in stock, many local fish stores have them. Same with big box stores like Petco or PetSmart.

P.S. Depending on the type of fish your son wants, the only thing you may need to buy beyond the Fluval Flex Kit is a heater. And of course a stand (or a sturdy piece of furniture).

Shambhalaubie

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I second the Fluval Flex, absolutely gorgeous tank. It has a curved front, which on my 36 gallon looks stunning. I'm pretty sure it comes in various sizes.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shambhalaubie said:
I second the Fluval Flex, absolutely gorgeous tank. It has a curved front, which on my 36 gallon looks stunning. I'm pretty sure it comes in various sizes.
The Flex comes in 9, 15 and 32.5. Here’s my 32.5. . .

547BF3BA-5A2D-483A-A115-A2F97E2D1460.jpeg

A8EED018-3559-4F01-9CE0-5D9732D79781.jpeg

Shambhalaubie

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dunk2 said:
The Flex comes in 9, 15 and 32.5. Here’s my 32.5. . .

547BF3BA-5A2D-483A-A115-A2F97E2D1460.jpeg

A8EED018-3559-4F01-9CE0-5D9732D79781.jpeg
THIS IS GORGEOUS ❤ definitely my dream tank. I ended up with a Bowfront, which is still curved but obviously not Fluval brand. If I ever have room for another aquarium, I will be going with this one FOR SURE. I've heard SO many good things.

Here is a link to a little write up on the 9 gallon Fluval Flex, it's pros and cons and various information about it.

MaximumRide14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello! I was 13 when I got into this hobby (16 now), and from personal experience I recommend going with at least a 10 gallon. Any larger would require more responsibility, and it has room for more fish than a betta (less than ten gallons really removes your options). I didn't really get into fish until I could keep more than a betta, and then soon I got interested in live plants and other things like that. I don't have any recommendations for tank kits, but for a beginner setup I'd recommend a hang on back filter (not sponge filter) and a tank lid with LED lights. Fluval Flex is higher quality, but it's also more expensive, which is why I only have the types of equipment to recommend. As for stocking, I don't know what you or your son would prefer, but I highly recommend some ghost shrimp! They're easy to keep and pretty fun for beginners :)

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
I love the Aqueon kits - heater filter, hood, food sample, net & sample of water conditioner.

easy to set up, no guesswork
I have 10 gallon kit
ascent 6 gallon x2
20 gallon tall ( my 20 long is Aqueon, but I bought each part seperately)
36 bow front
38 rectangle
and just got their 55 set gonna set it up later this week.

almost all of them are 1 year old ( but for the 20 gallons Nov and then Feb) they run flawlessly.

I have many betta tanks. for what it is worth, I did not care for Top Fin tanks. I either gave them away or no longer use. I have 2 glass tanks from Petco & they are fine aesthetically, but as a newbie I found their filter system odd.

I prefer hang over back filter because 1) good flow and easy to use, 2) sits nice with lid

I do have 3 filters that sit inside tank & they are nice but less flow. so the filter type imo depends on the fish you are getting.

I have Three 10 gallon Aqua Culture tanks from Walmart, a little bit cheaper but I had no issues using it for tetras or bettas. The filters are internal and easy to place & use. They run a little bit cheaper, maybe 10-15 dollars. I have 1 still running using it for snails currently. No leaks, no issues at all.

Fluvals are beautiful. I just have no experience with them! Good luck!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you decide to skip the kit I'd go with either a 20 long or 29. These can be purchased for $20 or $29 at petco during $1 a gallon sales (about once every 2 or 3 months). Then you need a filter - while I prefer hamburg mitten filters for you i think a simple aquaclear 30 is adequate. Then you would need about 40 pounds of substrate which is around $24 at petsmart (50lb bag) of crystal river which is a pretty decent substrate if you like light colour sandy substrate.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom