base rocks

1. evo1234 Initiate Member

I wanted to add some rocks to my aquarium. I went looking for rocks but had no luck. I found some at my pet store though for 35 cents a rock. They owner said they are base rocks and just rinse or boil the rocks and put them in the aquarium. I boiled the rocks for 30 minutes and put them in. The rocks made the water cloudy. Is there another way to treat the rocks to make the water less cloudy?

I currently have them soaking in a 5 gal. bucket. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. kribensis keeper Member Member

keep on boiling them and putting them in water until it runs clean that is the water similar to what you do with drift wood

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sounds like the rock might have some limestone or something to that effect in them...they shouldnt make it cloudy at all ...but if your ph isnt already sky high, it wont hurt the cons....its cheaper to go to your local lowes or home depot to find rocks or slate etc..or even outside...

4. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Shawnie. Looks like a very soft rock to me & it possibly contains some limestone or another chalky kind of material. Another place you can get slate is from pool table manufacturers. They will usually be only too happy to give you some of the offcuts they have laying around. They are just going to throw them away & they have to pay for it so you are doing them a favour by taking offcuts off thier hands.

5. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

thanks. i went to Lowes and the rocks were more expensive than at my LFS. The only rocks outside are bricks or have fertilizer on them.

is limestone and slate the only solutions?

Thanks.

6. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Absolutley not. There are heaps of different rocks that are suitable for the aquarium. Seeing as your Cons don't mind hard water all you really need to be careful of is that there are no veins of metal in the rocks that you use & that they have not been exposed to pesticides, fertilizers or detergents. Lava, marble, granite & red dessert rocks are just a couple of the other options available to you.

7. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Try a garden/land scapping place.

Brian

8. evo1234 Initiate Member

thanks for the responses.

thanks for the rocks fishingman. they are not messing up the water anymore.