Bark On Driftwood: Yay Or Nay?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Fahn, Nov 27, 2018.

1. FahnFishlore VIPMember

So I made a post recently about acquiring some root wood from a fallen magnolia tree. They are covered in a flaky, crust-like bark that easily comes off in some places but trying to remove it from the tinest, most delicate areas breaks off the finer roots that I'd like to keep.

Will keeping the bark on the wood cause any problems?

IMG_20181127_085208.jpg

2. CanaculusWell Known MemberMember

Don't think so. Watch someone more experienced come in and be like, "oh never use that, it's awful" lol.

3. AuthmalValued MemberMember

Bark is typically going to break down and be problematic. That's why you never see driftwood that's being sold for aquarium use in a store that has bark on it.

Not all wood is aquarium safe. Softwoods will break down and taint your water chemistry significantly, causing you more work. Some will leach toxins into the water, causing death and more work.

I don't know enough about magnolia in particular to say whether it's generally safe or not. I'd do some internet searches for more answers on that question.

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

I know I have used the leaves as a cheap source of shrimp food and tannins, and even Tannin Aquatics sells the leaves and cones. Shrimp were multiplying like crazy and would eat the leaves until only the central vein and ribs remained.

I cannot find any sources for the wood, though.

You think boiling it would help the bark peel off? It's going into a 9 gallon so it's going to be most small pieces.

5. AuthmalValued MemberMember

Boiling would, I'd imagine, help remove the bark.

Keep in mind that just because one part of a plant is safe, that does not mean the entire plant is. Look at rhubarb as an example.

6. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Literally used rhubarb as an example in my original driftwood post the other day!

Same with potatoes. Edible tubers, the rest of the plant can make you very sick.

7. AuthmalValued MemberMember

Magnolia is technically a hardwood, so things should be good as far as deterioration is concerned. That said, I've not heard of it being used in an aquarium.