bare on top - need fish!?

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
what are some fish that like to swim in the top part of the tank? the top third of my tanks are bare most of the time. thanks for any help!
Denise

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have some danios in my tank and they spend most of their time in the top part of the tank. They are very active and are fun to watch.

Gwenz

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have some silver Hatchet fish in my tank and they are allways near the top of my tank.

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
my mickey mouse are always in the upper portion of the tank and my tetras, barbs and shark share the middle and bottom section

jrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have some zebra danios they always stay at the top.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My guppies are in the top a lot.

palomino78

Reaction score
I have some golden white clouds (minnows) that hang out at the top. I had the opposite problem...I couldn't get middle swimmers.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Zebra Danios and Silver Hatchetfish are great additions to a tank for the top layers.. the general rule of thumb for top-layer fish is any species with an upturned mouth, they only eat from the surface of the water and so tend to stay in the upper levels.

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mollies would be good. But check for compatibility between your existing fishes and new ones. If not, you will have more troubles than you can imagine

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone! I never thought about the upturned mouth, but that makes sense! I've only got 2 cherry barbs in this tank now, and they are sooo timid. They have shared a tank with my other fish, and were timid, so I put them by themselves, and they are still hiding most of the time...I plan on getting 3 more cherry barb, and something that swims in the upper part of the tank...I also think I need something to eat the brown algae that keeps growing on my rocks and bubble wand...I really appreciate
all your suggestions!!
Denise

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Denise Cherry barbs are a little shy anyway and will appreciate more of their kind and well as some plants(real or artificial) to hide in. Otos love that brown stuff growing on your bubble wand
As for the top water I have three kinds of Danios(Choprae, Kerri,and Roseaus)in my 55 gallon for top water dither fish and they all school together and I love the business that tank.
Carol

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks Butterfly, I have 2 fake plants (but they are sparse) and a ruin shaped like a house, and a little tunnel made out of 3 rocks (2 sides and a roof)..one cherry hides in the house where I can hardly see him, and the other hides in the tunnel. I used to have 3 cherry barbs but 1 died, so maybe with a few more playmates they will come out of hiding.

I appreciate you telling me about your danios! I'll look them all up so I can see what they look like..the Petsmart here only has zebra danios and I would like to see other varieties.

I believe I've read I'll need 2 or 3 otos...would 3 be too much for a 20 gallon? also do they prefer sand or gravel? I want to change my substrate, as it is the multi-candy-colored gravel and I think it detracts from the fish.. thanks!
Denise

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Three otos would be great and they don't seem to have a preference for substrate.
Oh and I forgot there are zebra danios(rerio) in there too Here is a great place to look at danios
carol

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks for the site, Carol. I'll be looking...do endlers swim up top? I don't here much about them.
Thanks! Denise

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Endlers pretty much swim all over the tank
Carol

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh, okay. thanks!