Bare Minimum Small Tank, Heater, Filter?

WalkGood
Please recommend the bare minimum smallest tank with heater & filter. The very lowest end, smallest setup. Some thing that works and is a step up from being in a bowl with no heater, no filter.

This is for a classroom. Teacher was "sold" on a Betta in a Bowl (see my thread about this situation).

I've seen very small filtered 1.5gal setups , heater with no setting. But terrible reviews.

Need to recommend cheapest setup that will work.

Platylover
I’m fairly certain the kits for at least the 5 gallon at Petsmart include a heater and are around $30. I think that’ll be about the cheapest if your trying to find one with a heater and is suitable for a betta. If you were to buy the heater separately you’d likely find a cheaper tank and be able to keep the temp at the correct level.

Katie13
The very minimum is a 2.5g.

GuppyGuy007
The petsmart kits only include heater starting at 10 gallons

Lorekeeper
You could get one of the $30 5.5 gallon kits from Petsmart, and a decent generic heater for like $10.

Bettafishies126
Topfin makes some good little kits I see them at petsmart all the time

blueangelfish
the heater I recommend is the cobalt 25 watt one. I have it for my 2.5 gallon. its a bit pricey but is adjustable.

Algonquin
Could you look at getting a used one online? Might be worth looking, you might get lucky and find someone selling a 5 gallon set up for less than what you'd spend for new?
I don't think the new lower end 5 gallons kits usually come with a heater.

blueangelfish
bare minimum is 2.5. then I would say a sponge filter and that heater I recommended before. Then some gravel, a marimo moss ball and a cave/hideout so it can hide. Also a betta leaf would be cool too.

75g Discus Tank
The dollar per gallon sale at Petsmart is going on now.
Get a 10 gallon tank and get the other parts off of Craigslist.

I know many people say that 2.5 gallons in the bare minimum, but with adequate decor and substrate, there is about half of that for swimming space.

AJ34
Small tanks are often not less expensive and are harder to maintain (but I understand space requirements)...I've been trying to find a 2-3 gallon for my baby betta and its been a struggle. I ended up throwing together my own set up

Anyways I was thinking of this one for a while but it would not work in the space I had. Looks decent though for the price!

Otherwise Wal-mart has some kits in that range for 20-30... I have an Aquaview 3 gallon round that has been working well for me.

As for the heater on these tanks, you will have to purchase and it might be a struggle...I had a minI preset heater that over heated my wal-mart tank but not my smaller thicker glass tank...I ended up buying a higher watt adjustable heater for the plastic tank. I think the room temp is too variable with the small plastic tanks...

Amazon has some tetra tanks for a decent price 1-3 gallon tanks for $19.99

Depending on the tank and size the filter that comes with it might be a little too strong depending on the Betta but you could probably baffle it with a canopy of plastic cut from a water bottle.

AJ34
The dollar per gallon sale at Petsmart is going on now.
Get a 10 gallon tank and get the other parts off of Craigslist.

I know many people say that 2.5 gallons in the bare minimum, but with adequate decor and substrate, there is about half of that for swimming space.

Good point, I just took some substrate out of one tank to use in another and....I can really add much more water now. I didn't realize how much I had in there! I guess it depends on the fish as well for how much decor you really need. My male Betta he doesn't really hide, he has things to hide behind but he'd rather be where the action is at the front of the tank. I could plant the whole tank and he'd still be out in the open looking for a fight lol. My baby female is scared and hides a lot but she is coming around!

Algonquin
HI Walkgood, just wondering how this all panned out... ? Hoping you were able to get a tank that suited the needs of you and your 'vacationing' fish?

And wondering if the betta and tank went back to school yet?

CanadianFishFan
Topfin makes some good little kits I see them at petsmart all the time
I buy them because it comes with a LED light, glass tank, and a really good heater (Since they redid there tanks) BUt the filter I always sell and buy a sponge filter as the ones they come with are fin rippers to bettas.

Bettafishies126
I buy them because it comes with a LED light, glass tank, and a really good heater (Since they redid there tanks) BUt the filter I always sell and buy a sponge filter as the ones they come with are fin rippers to bettas.
Really? I've never had that problem with any of my 3 bettas and they're all in topfin tanks with the original filter

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
hampalong
Replies
Views
Jen86
Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
Replies
Views