Bare Bottom?

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So i have been contemplating going bare bottom with all my betta tanks and just get plants like anubias that i can attach to wood and floating plants etc.. nothing that has to be planted basically. I have been breeding bettas and the main reason i want to do this is to make my cleaning day easier since i have a couple of tanks already set up (they are all planted)

So basically i just want to know the pros and cons of bare bottom tanks and your opinions?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I bred guppies all their tanks were bare bottom with just guppy grass. Yea it makes it so much easier.

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meh, I have one bare bottom tank and it actually requires the most maintenance to keep the tank looking presentable since everything's just out in the open... Doesn't look that great either.

I guess if these are breeders instead of displays asthetics don't matter as much anyway, skipped over that bit.

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Easier but more regular maintenance since the waste is more obvious. Algae will also grow on the bare bottom. A couple of snails will help with that.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree with mentioned Pros/Cons. Planted Tanks for me. But just started my "Discus" journey, Decided to go bare bottom since it's highly recommended and better for the growing fish.. Just not the same with "Potted Plants".
Been an "Underwater Gardener" as soon as I learned enough to not kill them. A few more months and I'll be setting up the New larger tank with a substrate and Plants.

Good Luck!

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since I don't care about appearances for my bare bottom tanks (which is just my single baby betta tub, my Molly grow out tub, and my quarantine tub), I don't mind seeing any waste. I like seeing the fish have been pooping and it's easy to siphon out. I find it really useful for fry and hospital or quarantine so I can monitor their bowel movements and thus partially health. I use a turkey baster to suck it out.

Besides looks, cons would be no substrate or gravel to grow beneficial bacteria or root plants, but that's to be expected.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone for your imput! I have done planted tanks for years and i will
Obviously keep my shrimp tank planted but im definitely going bare bottom for the bettas. At this point im looking more into making the cleaning easier as i have been very busy with my new job. Especially in my smallest tanks with the plants and the substrate have been difficult trying to scrape algae off glass without making a mess. I have eco-complete and it keeps breaking into dust

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom