29 Gallon Tank Barbel erosion? or something else?

bmblsad

Hey all

I picked up 6 Sterbai corydoras about 10 days ago. They're my first corys, so I'm learning. The first couple of days they were all over in the water column. Such fun to watch. But over the last 4 or 5 days, they aren't as active. I have 1 in particular that I'm concerned about. His mouth looks odd - sort of white and pasty. I've read Cory's can bruise their barbels or experience barbel erosion, but I'm uncertain if that's what I'm seeing. Most articles/posts don't have pics so it's hard to tell. He's also breathing a bit harder than the others. I'll post a few pics. I have a vid of the breathing but I can't figure out how to post it.

I've quarantined him to a 5g (cycled). He's alone and very unhappy. Do I keep him quarantined and treat him? Move a few of the more lethargic over to the QT tank to keep him company? I'm worried the solitary confinement will cause more stress, leading to more complications.

Medicine Cabinet: I have API General Cure, Erythromycin, Fin & Body Cure, & Furan-2; Seachem Kanaplex & Metroplex; Jungle Fungus Clear; and PraziPro.

Water Parameters: API master test kit

Tank: 29g, planted, black diamond sand substrate over aquasand, running for about 2 years. I do weekly 30% water changes, vac the sand, clean the filters routinely, etc.

Tank mates: 2 guppies, 5 harlequin rasboras, 3 amano shrimp (new addition with the corys), 1 BN pleco, 1 mystery snail, 1 nerite snail

Feeding: tank mates get a mix of floating/slow sinking stuff (like Fluval Bug Bites Betta Formula). While they're busy eating, I drop Fluval Bug Bites bottom feeder formula to the bottom for the corys. I also drop bug bites for plecos, and routinely hang spinach, zuchinni, and algea sheets in the tank for the pleco and snails.

Is this my substrate f-ing with my cory's barbels? or something else?

Thanks for the help. Love these little guys. don't want to see no sadness.

Beth

Attachments

• sad cory 3.jpg
    sad cory 3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 28
  • sad cory 2.jpg
    sad cory 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 29
  • sad cory 1.jpg
    sad cory 1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 28

Dunk2

Hey all

I picked up 6 Sterbai corydoras about 10 days ago. They're my first corys, so I'm learning. The first couple of days they were all over in the water column. Such fun to watch. But over the last 4 or 5 days, they aren't as active. I have 1 in particular that I'm concerned about. His mouth looks odd - sort of white and pasty. I've read Cory's can bruise their barbels or experience barbel erosion, but I'm uncertain if that's what I'm seeing. Most articles/posts don't have pics so it's hard to tell. He's also breathing a bit harder than the others. I'll post a few pics. I have a vid of the breathing but I can't figure out how to post it.

I've quarantined him to a 5g (cycled). He's alone and very unhappy. Do I keep him quarantined and treat him? Move a few of the more lethargic over to the QT tank to keep him company? I'm worried the solitary confinement will cause more stress, leading to more complications.

Medicine Cabinet: I have API General Cure, Erythromycin, Fin & Body Cure, & Furan-2; Seachem Kanaplex & Metroplex; Jungle Fungus Clear; and PraziPro.

Water Parameters: API master test kit

• pH: 8.2
  • Nitrates: 30
  • Hardness: 9 degrees or 161ppm
  • Nitrite: 0
  • Ammonia: 0
  • KH/Buffer: 16 degrees or greater than 214.8ppm
  • Water Temperature: 76
Tank: 29g, planted, black diamond sand substrate over aquasand, running for about 2 years. I do weekly 30% water changes, vac the sand, clean the filters routinely, etc.

Tank mates: 2 guppies, 5 harlequin rasboras, 3 amano shrimp (new addition with the corys), 1 BN pleco, 1 mystery snail, 1 nerite snail

Feeding: tank mates get a mix of floating/slow sinking stuff (like Fluval Bug Bites Betta Formula). While they're busy eating, I drop Fluval Bug Bites bottom feeder formula to the bottom for the corys. I also drop bug bites for plecos, and routinely hang spinach, zuchinni, and algea sheets in the tank for the pleco and snails.

Is this my substrate f-ing with my cory's barbels? or something else?

Thanks for the help. Love these little guys. don't want to see no sadness.

Beth

About the barbels. . . If the black diamond substrate hasn’t already started to cause erosion, it will in time in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Mlou

I think a change into fine sand will only do all of your cories plenty of good. I only use fine sand in all my cory tanks and it's been great. i would also do good water changes every two or three days to keep your water really clean for the fish with the wounded mouth. Clean water does wonders.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
  • Question
Replies
Views