Banned Plants

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just discovered that the 2 most popular plants from my early aquarium days are now banned in New York. They are Anacharis (Elodea) and Cabomba. I especially used to like Cabomba. It's a shame these plants are banned because they are both beautiful additions to an aquarium.

I was born and raised on Long Island, NY and had my first aquariums there. I then moved to SW Florida in 1971 when I was 23, spent 35 years down there and now am back in NY for the last 12 years. I'm now in northern NY right on Lake Champlain. If I drive 20 miles to the north, I'm in Canada. I just got back into aquarium keeping after having been out of it since about 1990.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are they banned completely (not allowed at all) or are they banned from being brought into the state?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like Hornwort is not banned--yet. It is classified as a weed in some places.

TexasDomer said:
Are they banned completely (not allowed at all) or are they banned from being brought into the state?
Banned completely, cannot be sold.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would do a double check on the anacharis since their are multiple species. Quite a whiles back i found out that not all species are banned and you can still get a few where you live. However, i'm pretty sure all the cambomba is banned where you live.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Banned completely, cannot be sold. This is since 2015, so not that long ago.

July

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh that's a bummer. I'm moving to NY in about a months so I guess it's good to know in advance.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom