Banjo Catfish

1. Neji Member Member

Hello,

I was wondering... I want to get a banjo catfish to go with my small community aquarium. Right now I have one Firemouth Cichlid, One Common Pleco, One Sail fin Pleco, 3 Colombian Tetras, and 3 X-Ray tetras, and 3 angels.

They are all in my 29 gallon tank for now, and I'll probably move the angels to a bigger tank when they get bigger.

I have heard that the Banjo Cat fish can grow to large sizes. Is that true? If it is, then maybe I shouldn't get it. I'm scared that they may eat my oto cats.

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Hello :)
    here's a helpful post from a while ago:

:;hi1

3. Toddnbecka Member Member

Size depends on the species, there are banjo cats that stay pretty small. They are social fish, prefer to be kept in groups, and are strictly nocturnal. Basically you'll never see them by day, and if you have sand they'll likely bury themselves in it.
    The common and sailfin pleco's will quickly outgrow a 29, they really need at least a 125 or larger tank.

4. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I advise NO!
    They get too large for home aquaria, IMO. And they will eat anything that fits into their mouths. It's the usual catfish behavior.

5. Neji Member Member

Thank you, I know that common plecos will out grow the tank.. I forgot to mention that my other pleco is a dwarf sized one. I've had it for about a year now and it hasn't even grown up to 5" it is still 4" and hasn't grown much. I doubt it will grow any bigger.