Bandit Corys (Pics Inside) *edited... again!*

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Well there was have it then folks, my little Skunk Corys (thanks to Tom for clarifying):

14.jpg

15.jpg

Andy

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Re: Skunk Loaches (Pics Inside)

I could be wrong, but they look like they're pretty young skunk loaches with some great markings.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I don't know but they look like skunk loaches with very unusual markings.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I thought they looked a lttle strange! :

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score

Tom said:
Those are skunk corys. This is your fish.

This is what a skunk loach looks like.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-morleti
Nice pics though.
Tom
Ahhh, Okie Dokie!!

I was on about corys when I went in there (was looking @ the Sunset Cory's they had - very pretty!), I obviously got confuddled in the store - thanks for clarifying!

Andy

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Re: Skunk CORYS (Pics Inside) *edited*

I guess that explains it.. well, great looking corys.. i'd love to have some myself.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Re: Skunk CORYS (Pics Inside) *edited*

I hate to be a party pooper but these aren't skunk Corys. The scientific name of skunk is Corydoras arcuatus
they are called skunk corys because of the stripe down their back.
What you have are are Corydoras metae which Tom ID with the pic. So not skunk corys but very nice any way
carol

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score
^^^ cool, thanks Carol & Tom!

so, finally, are we all agreed that they are infact called Bandit Corys!?!?!? (everyone nod - like you agree!)

****, never had so mcuh trauma knowing what a fish was, im gonna go let my man @ the store know to change the name!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome. Most people at the pet stores don't really want to change the name for 2 reasons;
1) They won't have the research to back it up.
2) They ordered that type of fish and they will go with what their supplier says over what a customer says any day.
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tom is right about the LFS. They have an order sheet and they order so many of what ever species they think will sell. Most of them don't know if they get the right species or not.
Welcome! This is part of fish keeping I enjoy, doing the research etc. but what tipped me off was because I wanted some skunk corys and couldn't find them so I already knew what they looked like and what their scientific name was Speaking of scientific names, sometimes the LFS will have these listed and if you can remember to write it down then it's much easier to find info.There are too many fish that go by the same common name
Now how many do you have? Since their Bandit corys May I suggest Robin Hood, Little John and Maid Marion?
Carol

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score
^^^ well, they're a local aqautic "experts" - either I got confused when he was talking to me (which is most likely), or it was just some new person working there... they've always been really good in the past (and i've been getting fish there for about 20 years now!)

I actually don't tend to name my fish... infact, only 3 of my fish have names - my dwarf gourami called Mr Blue, a dalmation molly, which my old housemate decide to call Dorine - and my other molly who is called Ginge - because he's orange!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Butterfly said:
Tom is right about the LFS. They have an order sheet and they order so many of what ever species they think will sell. Most of them don't know if they get the right species or not.
Welcome! This is part of fish keeping I enjoy, doing the research etc. but what tipped me off was because I wanted some skunk corys and couldn't find them so I already knew what they looked like and what their scientific name was Speaking of scientific names, sometimes the LFS will have these listed and if you can remember to write it down then it's much easier to find info.There are too many fish that go by the same common name
Now how many do you have? Since their Bandit corys May I suggest Robin Hood, Little John and Maid Marion?
Carol
An example is when I went to buy the sumo loach and the owner/manager said it was a general something loach, so when I got home with it, I looked for it on loaches.com ,while I knew it was a sumo all along, but anywho, there was no general something loach. I even told the guy to go to loaches.com and check it out for himself. Long story short, I got it for about $3 since it wasn't even listed for a price or anything.
Tom
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom