banded kuhile locaches not available in my area???

Blk69

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Visited a few LFS and only the black solid color Kuhie's are available. Recall as a kid having the banded ones. Is this an oddity for my area or are the banded (striped) Kuhie's harder to get now?

Also, recall weather loaches were very popular as a kid. Now not available at LFS. Did they suffer the same fate as the banded Kuhie's?

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good questions . I am 69 and I remember having them both in my younger years. I now live in Fla. and have for 8 years and I have not seen either one for sale in my area. I have only seen them online. Alison

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My lfs says they can order the "banded" kinds ( usually in the red and black color ) but says they are not as popular and more $$$ than the black ones.

Our local Petsmarts and Petco usually carry the black ones AND the Golden dojo loaches ( AKA Weather loach ) regularly.

You might have to check online to special order.

Blk69

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wonder why the black kuhile are more popular? I always thought the banded ones looked better.

MichaelM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My lfs only carries the banded ones.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

bluOlive

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We have 3 banded Kuhlis. I purchased 2 a few years ago in one town and recently purchased 2 more in another town (one passed). So for us they are fairly normal site. But these two stores are both mom/pop kind of stores and have a say in what they purchase.

Blk69

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm in the mid west. Petco and couple other LFS all claimed the same that the black are a regular stocked item and the banded could be special ordered (for a premium).

That is just odd.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dojos are illegal in a lot of states these days because they are potential invasives, even up north. Banded Kuhlis are less common because they are not easily bred on a commercial level, and they have been overcollected in the wild. Those you see in the stores these days are often bred by hormone treatment, a lot of work.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom