Banded Bushfish Journal! (microctenopoma Fasciolatum)

Joshaeus

Well Known
Yep...I've taken the plunge I've ordered a trio of these unusual anabantoids for a 10 gallon planted tank from the Wet Spot, and they will be shipping out Monday for a Tuesday arrival. Gorgeous, relatively easy fish that I am going to propagate and spread around...here's a link to some pictures;

When they arrive, I will give you updates often to fill in much needed details on the care of these fishes Happy fish forum-ing!

bitseriously

Well Known
I’m just going to live fish-cariously through you. You post the most interesting journals and threads, and they’re all fish I wish I could get. Sadly, I have neither the space, the money or the time.
Is “neither” used exclusively where there are 2 options, or can it qualify 3 or more options? Eg is “neither a, b or c” appropriate?

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
I did well in English, but alas...not sure how to answer that. Thanks for the kind words, though

Good news everyone! They shipped two hours ago tomorrow I will have my bushfish! (And pictures for you, of course )

THEY HAVE ARRIVED! Here are some pre-acclimation pics (acclimating them right now) - the top one is the male, the bottom one of the females;

33B365AA-CEA7-45F7-84E1-B5444E957AAB.jpeg

81D8AA1C-F46F-46D5-9BA9-A74891197AAF.jpeg

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
The male's fins are already a gorgeous blue color excited to see what they look like when they settle in.

Here's a picture of the fish now that they are actually in the tank! These fish are easy to photograph right now...not crazy active. Not sure what to think of that...

F10DA27F-3572-4709-BF73-91587A3B7BD8.jpeg

Crickey! We have a crude bubblenest in the corner My sister claims she saw them spawning under it, but I am not sure. I guess we will know in a few days

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Oh bother...they are all ill the females both have ich; I can't tell if the male does or not, but he's almost constantly hiding now and has a few fuzzy wounds visible on him (don't know how...this isn't a very aggressive species). Could you please suggest what I should do from here? The tank also has a bristlenose pleco, so any medication needs to be safe for him/her as well. Thanks.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
I use Kordon rid ich plus .
Not the herbal stuff.
If you are nervous go 1/2 strength first day .
If all is well go full on second day and then follow directions.
The pleco should have no issue with meds.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Thanks

The male now has FAR more fuzzy patches on him...worried he isn't going to survive

HI everyone! LONG overdue update...the male died two weeks after he arrived at my house, and not long after that my depression got very bad and I barely cared for any of my fish for months. Thankfully I snapped out of it last month and began caring properly for my fish again...miraculously, there were no casualties Both female bushfishes are still alive and well and even learned to take flake food. They are currently sharing the tank with a lone Betta smaragdina of unclear gender (he/she never colored up), but I just bought them two males from the wetspot to get another shot at spawning them. They will arrive Thursday and will go into quarantine for a couple weeks to check their health and to get these wild caught fishes onto prepared foods...fingers crossed On another note, I also purchased a trio of the critically endangered goodeid Zoogoneticus tequila, the Tequila splitfin, from ebay, and these will also be arriving Thursday...but that will be the topic of another thread

The bushfish arrived yesterday! In spite of being a day late, they arrived very healthy, and they were even taking flake by nightfall However, they quickly began fighting in their 5 gallon quarantine tank, so I had little choice but to move the more dominant male in with the other bushfish. Hope everything goes OK...I would have set up a second QT tank, but I had nowhere to put one.

Here's another update on the new bushfish males...both are doing quite well. The male I moved has already claimed the left side of the 10 gallon tank as his and is keeping the female bushfish and the betta out of that side...not sure whether he's already spawned or whether he is simply ready to do so, as banded bushfish don't usually make obvious bubblenests (their bubblenests, from my research, typically consist of a few scattered bubbles...only when surface plants are scarce do they produce an obvious bubblenest).

Interestingly, these males appear to be from a different population than my original male...they lack any trace of blue on their fins and instead have dark brown fins with transparent patches interspersed within the brown. Still quite pretty, though I will have to get a picture of the male I moved at some point soon.

OY! As of this morning, the male I moved to the 10 gallon is definitely in the mood to spawn - he has a large (but sparse) bubblenest spanning several inches across now, he's almost constantly lurking right below the nest, and I even saw him try to court one of the females (who adopted her own breeding colors...a brown body with a light tan stripe going horizontally down the middle). I'd better get some infusoria cultures going

On a side note...I haven't tried to photograph this fish yet, but it's likely going to be a challenge to photograph him - he is quite nervous of people, and simply entering the room often prompts him to run and hide. Surprisingly, the second, smaller, less dominant male was begging for food from day one...I have decided to name him 'Little Dude'.

EDIT: When I got home from grocery shopping today just past one, the male had built a much more dense bubblenest right above his usual spot. When I came in a few minutes later...he was spawning with one of the females!!!!

Here's a picture update on the new spawn! First, here's the ten gallon where it is happening;
tank.jpeg
The tank has a temperature in the high 70's, but I have not tested other water properties lately...I will later today. This next picture is the rear end of the female who spawned;
female.jpeg
And finally, here is a picture of the male and his bubblenest. I had to slant my mother's phone to get a good view of the nest;
nest.jpeg
Several things surprise me about this spawn. First off, male banded bushfish are not supposed to build substantial bubble nests when lots of plants are present...obviously my male did not read his own species profile Also, bear in mind that just a few days ago he was shipped to me in a box...he sure got comfortable fast. Finally, while not as surprising, this nest is composed of rather large bubbles that are about a half centimeter in diameter each...much larger than those in my paradise fish's nests. I wonder if their nests serve different functions?

HI again everyone! Here is another update on the spawn. Today I was feeding the bushfish tank baby brine shrimp, and I accidentally disturbed part of the nest...sending about a dozen eggs (with visible embryos) flying. Needless to say, this removed any doubt in my mind that the fish spawned

I have also had a lot of time this morning to observe the male's behavior. Although he is fearful of me, he is otherwise an excellent father that keeps everyone - the female bushfish, the betta, and even the ghost shrimp - away from his nest, charging them if he sees them anywhere on his side of the tank. I also occasionally observed him maintaining the nest by adding bubbles, moving eggs, and seemingly eating infertile eggs. Except when pursuing interlopers, the male (whom I have coined 'Romeo') has lost the patterning on his fins, perhaps to blend in to avoid predators while guarding the nest.

Speaking of the nest...I have gotten a better look at its structure. This nest is VERY different from the foamy, relatively compact nest formed by Bettas and most other bubblenesting anabantoids (all of whom are Osphronemids, whereas Microctenopomas are Anabantids more closely related to climbing perch)...in addition to being composed of much larger bubbles, this nest covers an enormous area about ten inches across, with individual bubbles separated by a centimeter or so. I had read that banded bushfish males only make substantial nests when floating plants are scarce, but in spite of an abundance of floating plants Romeo has built a gigantic nest that dwarfs any I've seen out of a similarly sized paradise fish. Still trying to figure out why they are built so differently from a typical bubblenest...my best guess is that the massive extent of the nest makes it difficult for predators to find and eat all of the eggs should they break through the father's vigorous defenses.

On another note...I took a better look at the other male bushfish, Little Dude, in his five gallon quarantine tank today under better lighting. To my surprise, unlike Romeo, Little Dude's fins are VERY blue, like those of my first bushfish male...I wonder if blue finned and brown finned males occur in the same population?

jjohnwm

Well Known
Very cool and interesting thread; looking forward to updates..

Is it possible that the floating plants the fish want to use would be the type that actually float on the surface (water lettuce, frogbit, etc) rather than the types that float at the surface but still completely in the water (hornwort, etc). I can't tell from your pics but it looks like you have only the latter type?

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
jjohnwm said:
Very cool and interesting thread; looking forward to updates..

Is it possible that the floating plants the fish want to use would be the type that actually float on the surface (water lettuce, frogbit, etc) rather than the types that float at the surface but still completely in the water (hornwort, etc). I can't tell from your pics but it looks like you have only the latter type?
Thanks for your interest in this thread! Anyhow...the tank has a thick layer of duckweed, in addition to the java moss and hornwort that are simply near the surface. Currently trying to remove everyone other than the father...I just learned that the eggs can hatch into wigglers in as few as 24 hours :O

OY! I was just removing the plants so I could capture the last female, and dozens of newly hatched FRY dove for cover as I did so...they hatched in less than 24 hours after the parents spawned Romeo is going to be busy for the next few days until the fry start swimming coherently. They are about 3 mm long and, although they are too small for me to make out much detail about them, they still have yolk sacks. They spend most of their time in or near the bubblenest, but if disturbed they will frantically swim towards the bottom before floating back to the nest.

EDIT: I finally got around to testing the water parameters. PH is about 6, TDS is about 346 ppm, KH is about 1 degree, and nitrates are 10 ppm.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Hello everyone! Here's another update on the fry they have gained another millimeter in length and are significantly better swimmers now; they still spend most of their time in the nest, but if disturbed they will not only swim away from the nest but will also swim back up when they calm down. In addition, their yolk sack has shrunk considerably (making them look quite enlongated), so they may start feeding tomorrow...when they start swimming freely, Romeo will be moved to prevent any possible cannibalism.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI again everyone! Just another small update on the fry...they are doing well, but I am not sure whether they are free swimming yet. They still spend most of their time where the nest was (it has largely disintegrated) but when they do swim they are swimming competently in all directions, and their yolk sac is almost gone. I have started feeding the fry infusoria just in case, and Romeo will be moved tomorrow whether they are free swimming or not.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Here's another update...the fry are definitely free swimming now and are no longer confined to the vicinity of the former nest. I fed them infusoria twice today, and a few minutes ago moved Romeo to a temporary setup. Let's hope these fry grow up into big, healthy bushfishes

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Hello everyone! Here's still another update...the fry are doing well. They are swimming all over the tank now, but I still have no clue how many there are because most are hiding in the plants. Feeding infusoria twice a day...may go up to three times a day. I will start adding brine shrimp Thursday (the 25th of July) and switch entirely to BBS a week from then (the 1st of August). Two weeks after that, I will start adding powdered fry food to get the fry onto prepared foods.

As for the adult bushfish...they are currently split between two setups. Romeo, the father, was moved to a 5 gallon bucket with a homemade bottle filter, while all the other bushfish are in a 5 gallon aquarium with a similar filter. Obviously these setups (especially the aquarium) are overcrowded, so tomorrow I am going to move one of the females in with Romeo (the bucket has too much water movement for him to build a second bubblenest and spawn again). I will try to move the fry to a different setup as soon as they are old enough to move safely, but with how much space male bushfish seem to require for territory I may need to rehome Little Dude to keep WW3 from erupting...if I did try to put all four bushfish in a 10 gallon, either the two males would kill each other the moment someone tried to spawn, or the females would be killed trying to avoid them (as the two males would together claI'm the entire tank).

On another note...temps have been hot up here lately! Air temps outside were well into the 90's yesterday and are supposed to be equally warm today. Even my room (where the fry are located) hit 84 degrees yesterday in spite of three air conditioners in my apartment. In spite of this, neither the fry nor any other fish showed any signs of discomfort yesterday (the splitfins could have, but they are in the much cooler living room).

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI everyone! Just a small update...the fry are still doing well. Full bellies and a lot of activity however, I doubt this was a huge spawn...yesterday I disturbed some of the plants and only a few fry came out, so the spawn probably numbers in the dozens rather than hundreds. In all fairness this may be a blessing in disguise...

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI everyone! Just a small update...the fry are still doing well, but they are becoming more shy and trying harder not to be noticed. This made me worry that the fry were dying off, so I removed most of the plants to perform a loose 'census'. The fry number in the dozens...as I have been thinking for a while now.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Hello! Here's another update...today I introduced the fry to baby brine shrimp in addition to infusoria. They seemed quite interested in the baby brine shrimp, but I did not see them trying to eat it today...oh well. They should be eating it by next Thursday at the latest.

Side note...I took a more detailed count of the fry today, and counted at least 33 fry. There could be more, but I now know at least that many fry are present.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI everyone! The fry are still growing nicely They are now getting baby brine shrimp in the morning and infusoria once or twice in the afternoon. They are also large enough that I attempted to photograph them with my mom's phone...unfortunately they are still quite small and most of the pictures render them as smudges, so I circled several of the definite fry in each picture. I hope you enjoy the photos!
Fry 1.jpeg
Fry 2.jpeg
Fry 3.jpeg
Fry 4.jpeg

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
coralbandit said:
You're doing great with these guys !
Congrats !
Thanks It feels so rewarding to successfully breed and raise a species that is almost never kept in the hobby and that so little is written about it...feels like I am a pioneering aquariumist

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
There is little better measure of success then breeding and raising fish all on your own IMO !
Just watching and helping it all happen is very rewarding for me ..
It really does something for me that is hard to explain to others who have not even just tried to breed and raise fish !

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI everyone! Big update today I was just looking at my fry, and many of them have distended stomachs...that are distinctly orange I guess they are definitely eating brine shrimp by now, about 11 days after they became free swimming. However, some of the smaller fry did not have such a stomach, so I am going to still feed infusoria alongside the brine shrimp until Thursday for their sake.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Here's another picture update! As of today the fry (now about 6-8 mm) have been free swimming for about 17 days. They are looking more like fish now, with a less enlongated body, the beginnings of pigmentation on their skin, and a visible caudal fin (the latter two traits are not clearly visible in my pictures, alas). They are getting baby brine shrimp twice a day, and tomorrow I will be introducing them to daily 1 gallon water changes. Anyhow, enjoy the pictures!
Older fry 1.jpeg
Older fry 2.jpeg

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI everyone! Small update today It has been three weeks since the fry have hatched and 19 days since they became free swimming. They are doing very well, eating vigorously and remaining active. I introduced them to daily 1 gallon water changes yesterday, and they have handled them like champs. Finally, I noticed that they have pectoral fins now, though they may have had them earlier...

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI everyone! Another picture update The fry are doing excellently. With the exception of a few runts, they are now about 7-9 mm long, their stripes are now solid brown over partially transparent bodies, and their dorsal and analfins have come in. Also, these are my first pictures that show any amount of detail on the fry. Enjoy!
IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Thanks! They still have a long ways to go before they're adults, though...Thursday I will be introducing them both to 2 gallon daily water changes and to fry powder (to get them onto prepared foods)

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI everyone! Just a minor update...I started 2 gallon daily water changes today in preparation for adding fry powder later this week Also, today I am giving Romeo and one of the females to a fellow aquariumist I am acquainted with so that I can better care for Little Dude and the remaining female.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Very cool to share your fish ,especially in the interest of your other fish and with another enthusiast !
That should surely please the fish Gods !

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Started to feed fry powder alongside brine shrimp today...

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI everyone! The fry hit a big milestone today...they started eating fry powder! Very excited...this means they will be good aquarium fish as adults.

Anyhow...the fry are doing well, but their growth is uneven. The largest fry are more than a centimeter in length, the smallest just over half a centimeter, and the rest about 9 mm. Should I divide the fry between two setups for the sake of the 'runts'?

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
HI everyone! Not much of an update, but oh well...the 'fry' (technically juveniles now) are about 1 cm long now on average (with a few outliers in both directions) and are eating fry powder and baby brine shrimp. I did a 4 gallon water change today without incident, so I am going to be increasing the water changes to 4 gallons daily from now on. In October I will be giving some of the juveniles to my aquarium club for their auction, but I will be growing out the remaining fish to sell next year.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
OH NO! Calamity has struck the fry I was overfeeding them, there were several times as many fry as I thought, and I had not done any water changes in two days...and today it came back to bite me I removed 30 dead or dying fry from the tank today (which smelled rotten) and I still have 48-60 fry, now split between the 10 and a bucket. OY...going to be trying hard to rehome many of the fry, feed the remaining fry less, and get back to consistent water changes.

shrimpforever777

Joshaeus said:
OH NO! Calamity has struck the fry I was overfeeding them, there were several times as many fry as I thought, and I had not done any water changes in two days...and today it came back to bite me I removed 30 dead or dying fry from the tank today (which smelled rotten) and I still have 48-60 fry, now split between the 10 and a bucket. OY...going to be trying hard to rehome many of the fry, feed the remaining fry less, and get back to consistent water changes.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Fishcat said:
Oh, I am sorry. I hope all goes well with the survivors.
Thank you both...they will be fine. Going to give some to my aquarium club, sell some on aquabid...

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Sigh...this morning there were dozens of additional dead or dying fry and even the seemingly healthy fry began showing similar symptoms when I tried to move them to cleaner water. I had to euthanize them all

Fishcat

Well Known
I am very sorry. I hope you aren’t going to give up on bushfish - I am sure you will get this figured out.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Fishcat said:
I am very sorry. I hope you aren’t going to give up on bushfish - I am sure you will get this figured out.
I won't give up...I still have an adult pair and will try again. Thanks for your condolences

I went to a local petco to get an ammonia test. Ammonia was 3 ppm (!), nitrite and chlorine were also above zero (not sure how the latter happened...best guess is that the water company added more chlorine than usual this week), and the employee criticized me about not following the inch per gallon rule, encouraged me to get a power filter, claimed I was using a bad dechlorinator (I use seachem prime) and otherwise treated me like an idiot even though I know far more than he does. It was the best I could do to walk away in a huff...but at least I now know why the fry died. Next time I will definitely need to cull heavily early on and feed the fry less each day; that way, calamities like this are less likely to happen from me simply missing a day or two of water changes.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Here's a question for next time...would an aquaponics system have saved the fry? I was thinking of having a submerged pump send water into a pot filled with a sweet potato and either hydroponics substrate or seachem matrix. The idea is that the substrate/matrix would have provided a lot of extra room for the beneficial bacteria, and the sweet potato would have eaten a lot of the nitrate as soon as it formed.

Fishcat

Well Known
I can’t think of any way that would hurt, so it’s worth trying. I think of my heavy surface plant layer as a backup in case my growing mystery snails strain the filter’s capacity - not the most elegant aquascaping but practical. Does your city use chlorine or chloramines? If the former, you could use a container with an air stone as a pre-dechlorination setup before treating the water to add to your tank, just to be safe.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Hey! Loved reading this, was wondering if you've had any spawns since? I'm really interested in this info as I have a trio of ansorgii.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
I gave away my remaining bushfish, but I believe separating the pair, conditioning them for a week or two, and putting them together in a 10 gallon would do the trick. Not sure that would work with ansorgii, but it’s worth a shot. Note that ctenopoma species (eg leopard bush fish) are scatter spawners that display no parental care and are in general harder to breed than Microctenopoma species like ansorgiI or fasciolatum.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Joshaeus said:
I gave away my remaining bushfish, but I believe separating the pair, conditioning them for a week or two, and putting them together in a 10 gallon would do the trick. Not sure that would work with ansorgii, but it’s worth a shot. Note that ctenopoma species (eg leopard bush fish) are scatter spawners that display no parental care and are in general harder to breed than Microctenopoma species like ansorgiI or fasciolatum.
It's not like anyone can sex leopards anyhow and I don't have the space for 5. Unfortunately I don't think that's one I'll try to breed anywhere in the foreseeable future (though I do have one).
I was googling a bit on this yesterday and read a site that claimed ansorgiI are actually ctenopoma and their classification as microctenapoma is a mistake caused by their size... that was the only source I could find that claimed anything like that (seriouslyfish also has them as micros) but it is a pretty reliable one so.. eh. You know anything about that?

Did you end up losing interest in them? Just wondering why you gave them away (don't need to answer that if you don't want to).

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
I had no choice...we were moving and I had to downsize tanks. M. AnsorgiI is definitely a microctenopoma...no ctenopoma species build bubblenests, but ansorgiis do. Fishbase also has them as microctenopoma ansorgii.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Joshaeus said:
I had no choice...we were moving and I had to downsize tanks. M. AnsorgiI is definitely a microctenopoma...no ctenopoma species build bubblenests, but ansorgiis do. Fishbase also has them as microctenopoma ansorgii.
I see, too bad :( C'est la vie, I guess. Those must have been some hard choice.
Thanks for the info. I guess that info may have been outdated, it was an old article.
I'll let you if I have any success with the ansorgii, though they still have some growing to do before reaching maturity.

New Threads