banana plant roots

1. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

My banana plant now has two stems that reach to the top with leaves on the surface of my 20gallon. Am I supposed to leave those there or cut them off as mentioned above? Or does it even matter?

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Hope you don't mind I moved your post as we are cleaning the profile out and didn't want to lose it :)
    thanks
    Carol

3. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I posted this a while back and kind of forgot about it, but I was wanting some advice. In my 20 gallon high tank, my banana plant now has three lily pads at the top. They are very neat except the stems are so long they kinda loop around my tank and are tangling up in my other plants. So, would you leave them or cut them off? The reason I'm asking is because it looks like I have another stem growing and I'm starting to think it's going to cut off most of the light in my tank. I have the marineland LED lighted hood, so it's not terribly bright as it is.

I'll try to attach a picture.

015.jpg 014.jpg

I know my honey gourami enjoys the ones floating on the surface. I've tried looping them up to keep them out of the way, but the current keeps spreading them back out. During water changes like the one I just did they get all tangled with the other plants and uprooting them when I fill the tank back up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

you can chop it off and let it float around untell it grows little roots and replant it to grow another banana plant. Or you could just leave it, its up to you ;)

5. Steve106 Member Member

Hey, if you were to cut it off, as cichlidswaga mentioned, in order to form a new plant, would you cut it off close to the leaf, or at the bottom of the stem close to the plant?

6. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I cut it off close to the plant at the bottom and then left about 3-4 inches at the top but cut off the rest. So they're just floating around now. We'll see what happens...

7. tpasser2 Member Member

Let us know! I'm interested because I have a banana plant but it hasn't taken off like yours has.

8. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I have 3 total. The one in the 20 gallon is the one that is the largest that I just trimmed up. I have another in a betta tank (7.5 gallon) that is doing the same and one in a 5.5 gallon that wasn't doing so well so it's in the 20 gallon now and already has 2 new leaves. My largest one has recently started yellowing on the leaves, so I added a root tab to see if it will perk back up.

9. Steve106 Member Member

Awesome! let me know what happens! I have a runner on mine right now that is just about to surface, so if it works out for you, i'll probably do the same thing : )

10. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

FYI: All of my cut off floating leaves turned mushy, so I took them out. I'm not sure what happened to them, but I have a nother runner at the top in both my 20 and my 7.5, so I plan to leave them alone for now.

11. Steve106 Member Member

, was hoping that workd. I remember seeing somewhere (probably youtube at some point) that banana plants don't just send the surface runners up, they also send ground runners out along the top of the substrate, and they reproduce through these. If your way worked that would have been awesome, we wouldn't have to wait for the plant to make special runners. O well, thanks for following up on that.

12. tpasser2 Member Member

Yeah, too bad but thanks for the update

13. blizowman1 Initiate Member

ive read that you can cut the leaf that reaches the top off leaving about two inches of stem attached to the leaf and bury it upside down in the substrate leaving the stem coming up out of the substrate and it will start to grow eventually developing bananas

14. Steve106 Member Member

Would you wait for the leaf to fully open up, or just do it when it first reaches the top of the tank still in its bud form?

15. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Wait until the leaf fully opens.

16. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I've cut a few leaves and replanted when roots formed. They've survived, but have been growing very slowly. It looks like it's been msotly root growth, but one of the cuttings has a second leaf coming up out of the substrate.