Banana plant questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by jnm324, Jul 22, 2015.

1. j

jnm324 New Member Member

Just recently bought 10 medium size banana plants from a local seller on ebay, some are in rough condition due to shipping, and I want to grow them to their fullest. i have a mixture of medium grain sand and gravel in my tank. How should i go about securing them onto a particular place in the tank? I want to give them optimal light, and Ive noticed no matter what i do, they end up being moved by fish into a corner, or coming out of the sand & moving around. I bury the rhizome about 1/3 into the sand. Can i thread a needle through the plant and tie it down without damaging it? Its annoying honestly.

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

I take some seachem reef glue..and just dab a couple spots on the plant and stick it on a sliver of slate. I then bury the slate in the substrate. The plant aint going anywhere.

3. OP
    OP
    j

jnm324 New Member Member

Perfect solution. Any advice on getting them to grow? Some are missing leaves completely and are a spotty brown. Im using osmoscote tabs in the sand as a fertilizer.

4. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Trim off any dead leaves. These will feed from the water column as well as the "bananas" until they finally establish a root system at which point the banana may completely shrink and disappear. The Bananas are actually nutrient storage. Once roots establish and the bananas shrink or disappear, its time to switch to root tabs.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice