Banana plant growing long stem

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Shortfuuzze, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

I've had my banana plant for about 2/3 months now and I noticed 2 days ago that it's finally sprouting a long stem to the surface....and wow does it grow quick!!

It's grown a few inches in just the last 2 days....few more to go and it'll be at the water surface. I assume it won't grow passed the surface?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

I've never had a banana plant go that high! They are supposed to do that..but I think my Severum and Bloody Parrot make sure it does not. I have a 29 gallon with just Barbs of all colors..and this is a plant that I wasn't sure of what it was..but here are some pictures. It was just a bulb with some little white roots and a few little copper leaves. It IS growing without being eaten in the 29 gallon.

IMG_4016.JPG IMG_4017.JPG IMG_4018 (1).JPG

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

chrt396 I think it's a dwarf aquarium lily. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

The banana plant will sent shoots to the surface which will then turn into round lily pad like leaves. They also can send up a shoot with a flower from time to time. Its interesting to note how water current effects the length of these shoots, my banana plants are on the ends of my 55g tank, and with the surface current pushing them, ive noticed some of the shoots get 24-30" easily before finally finding a surface in the water that the plant decides is calm enough to open the pad.

6. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

That is EXACTLY what it looks like when I Googled it!! Thanks!!

7. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

It needs calm surface water to bloom? That is helpful to know....I'll turn down the output of one of my filters! Thanks!

8. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

No that's not what I meant, just that the surface flow will make the stalks run and grow longer on the surface before opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    Shortfuuzze

Oh alright I understand what you mean now.....it's gotten a bit longer and hasn't bloomed yet....hopefully it will soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice