Banana Leaves In Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Latrell, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    I read a lot of info about banana leaves being beneficial for a planted tank and sick fishes...I have a banana tree that's about 7 inches tall and I would take a whole dried out leaf and put it in my tank ..... what are some pros and cons of me doing this
    (It's a 20 gallon high planted tank with a lot of fishes and snails it's literally in my bio......)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    I think it has to do with the tannins it releases, ive seen them used in black water tanks, but not sure if they’re all the same or safe?

Wont help with anything if you’re specifically treating sick fish.

3. Asomeone

AsomeoneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    4 years
    Bannana leaves are similar to almond leaves. The leaves likely will lower your Ph and release tannis. Some sources suggest they have medicinal benefits for fish but it is hard to substantiate these claims.

4. OP
    OP
    Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    That's what I read online but haven't seen any physical proof until I started trying it out for myself

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  5. Tenoch

TenochNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I really love botanics in my tank, they are just the perfect match to my apistogrammas. They get stimulated and breed when I make a litter of leaves, pods, seed etc... There is a bit of the down side when you add botanics, and this is the excess of organics, therefore frequent water changes are require.

All these wonderful botanics are meant to be (but not on) to recreate amazona biotopes, so tanis is the main component here. When the botanics starts to decompose, they look amazingly beautiful as it does really recreate an amazona biotope.

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Banana leaves are used as a botanical in blackwater and shrimp tanks. They release beneficial tannins and are also a food source for micororganisms and invertebrates such as shrimp and snails.

Persimmon, oak, guava, mulberry, magnolia, and loquat leaves are some other aquarium-friendly botanicals.

7. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yep agree, shrimp love banana botonicals.

I use IALs and find they do help injured fish to heal easier and I like the tannins they release. All my tanks have varying degrees of tannins. My soft water fish love them.

8. Tenoch

TenochNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    This "was" my previous biotope, where it was loaded with botanics. You will be able to see the eggs from my apistogramma borelli opal in one of the pods. It was a very nice set up and the fish were breeding constantly, as I mentioned before, the downside is all the organic matter released into the water column, as well it does alter the water chemistry, hence major and frequent water changes.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  9. Tenoch

TenochNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Almost two weeks ago, I've started my aquarium from the scratch. Emptied the tank, adding new ferts under the substrate, started to use organic soil, and less botanics, also Introduced brand new plants in vitro. This is how it looks now.

Attached Files: