Banana Bread

TheEssigs
HI my fellow FL munch crew...

I made a banana bread today, with walnuts and chocolate chips dusted with powdered sugar.... that is super easy and very delicious....

I thought that my fellow muchers might want the recipe. If you do... let me know...

sirdarksol
I'm always up for another banana bread recipe (though I'll be leaving the chocolate chips and powdered sugar out).
I can no longer tell if my Mom has tampered with her recipes. About five years ago she started making all of her recipes healthy, and I haven't trusted a baked good from her since. (okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but sometimes it's good to just have a nice, fatty, bad-for-you slice of banana bread)

susitna-flower
sirdarksol, you crack me up!!! Those MOMs they sure do ruin all the good stuff!

I appreciate what you said about "every once in awhile", My kids are looking back on our BLAH food at home now, and thanking me I was so careful with the amount of sugar and sweets they had available...they don't drink gallons of sodas or crave candy bars. They all have good teeth, and good health.

Not to say a good banana bread is bad.....IF you are ready for a good walk after a slice!

sirdarksol
Yeah, I actually eat pretty healthy. I have a bag of ground flax that supplements the fiber in my oatmeal. My meals are heavy on the veggies and light on the meat. I often have tofu or meat substitute. I can't even eat KFC anymore. Too much fat, it makes me sick.

It's just that, when I want banana bread, I don't want a meal, I want dessert.

TheEssigs
Here it is: ENJOY

1 stick of butter, softened
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups Sugar
2 Eggs
3 to 4 Medium Ripe Bananas (approx 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup buttermilk (but I use just regular whole milk)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts, any variety (I use walnuts)
1 cup chocolate chips (if desired) (I use 1/2 cup of the minI chips)

I use a bundt pan!

Preheat oven 350. Grease and flour pan. Mix butter and sugar, add eggs, bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat till smooth. Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Lastly add in nuts and chips.

Bake at 350, 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, turn out of pan, completely cool, dust with powdered sugar.

Store at room temp 4 days, or in the fridge for 10 days.

TheEssigs
I just love to eat, healthy or not... all in moderation... I can't help it...

I'm Italian, food is what I do.

zpecialt
Recipe sounds fantastic. Will have to try it while I'm off this week. Thanks!

I just love to eat, healthy or not... all in moderation... I can't help it...

I'm Italian, food is what I do.

Hahahaha! Love that. I'm Italian as well and I drive my fiance nuts! I could eat constantly... too bad it all seems to stay with me.

TheEssigs
z...

Lemme know how you like it....

Butterfly
- I have a philosophy that I have to eat two pieces of everything that way when it goes to my thighs I can still walk straight and I do love banana bread, it's kind of a comfort food. Tastes good and is good for you (there ARE bananas in it after all)
I made homemade yeast cinnamon rolls a couple of nights ago, they made the house smell so good (had orange juice in them so that makes them good for me, right? )
We need to start a recipe thread don't we
Carol

TheEssigs
ummmmm, Carol... I like that idea!!!

I made a cheesecake last week (that was toally awsome), that I also wrote about in my always munching thread... I can share that recipe thread, if you share your cinnamon rolls!!

(and I need to mention to Mike I need a munching smiley!)

Butterfly
How are these
carol

Butterfly
Sunrise Cinnamon rolls

7 C. unsifted plain flour
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C powdered milk (optional)
2 tsp salt
2 envelopes fast rising yeast
1 C water 1 C sour cream
1/2 c margarine (1 stick)
1/2 C thawed frozen orange
or orange /pineapple juice
2 eggs

1) Combine 4 C of flour, sugar, milk pwd, salt and yeast. stir to mix.
2) combine water, sour cream, margarine, juice in a small saucepan. Heat until comfortably hot to touch. Add to flour mixture, add eggs. Blend with electric mixer on low then on medium for three minutes gradually adding in 2C of remaining flour to make a soft dough.
3) turn dough out on a well floured surface and knead about 5 minutes adding up to 1 c of remaining flour until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover and allow to rise until double in size.
4) After rising, punch dough down, knead briefly and divide in to two parts.
Roll each part out into a rectangle spread with soft Margarine and sprinkle with suger and cinnamon to taste. beginning with short side roll up like a jelly roll. cut in 1 inch slices and put on oiled cookie sheet. cover and allow to rise until double in size then cook at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or golden brown around edges.

Frosting
Powdered sugar
Orange juice
melted margarine
1 -tsp vanilla
Mix all together making a stiff frosting use orange juice to thin is needed.
frost rolls while still hot
ENJOY !!!
Carol

angelfish220
know what I like Mashed Potatos. Yep I would rather have mashed potatoes with brown butter than banana bread or cheesecake or cinnimon rolls. oohh and fresh corn mmmmmm

Butterfly
What could I ask please is brown butter ?
Carol

angelfish220
you melt butter in a little pan and let in the pan ontill it turns brown, basically the same idea as toasting nuts, it is the best on popcorn. It is very common in pa amish cooking

TheEssigs
CAROL... I Love, love, love those smileys!! How do I get them into my favs?

Butterfly
W-E-L-L since those aren't FL smileys you can't. They are smileycentral smileys
I thought they were cute and wanted to share them
Maybe Mike can make us some similar.
Carol

TheEssigs
:'( awww, those are awsome.

Well thanks for sharing anyway! ;D they are really cute!

andy65
You know what is WAY BETTER,

Amish peanut butter!!!

MMMMMM!!!! On a nice piece of homemade bread!!

Dang it, now I'm drooling.

We live in Amish country too. There is a large community around here. Not to the extent of PA,OH, or FL.

angelfish220
or the soft cheese and bean soup or stewed crackers I love it. My grandparents were amish. I could live on amish cooking. They invented the doughnut and angelfoodcake yumm
I wasn't informed that amish lived in not by you

andy65
LOL

How about head cheese? My grandfather on my dad's side LOVED the stuff. YUCH!!

I do not know WHAT life would be like without horse and buggys on the road.

angelfish220
you know what I love.... scrapple!! fry it in a pan and put a little molassas on it. do you put salt on your oatmeal? everyone who hears that is grossed out but I love it, mainly because that is how my grandma made it and it was how the amish ate their oatmeal.

You know what life would be like without horse and buggys on the road?
A clean road hahaha

andy65
Nay, we don't eat that much oatmeal.

Sorry TheEssigs, we kind of hijacked you post. I sorry!

Now back to your regular scheduled programing.

Butterfly
Nay, we don't eat that much oatmeal.

Sorry TheEssigs, we kind of hijacked you post. I sorry!

Now back to your regular scheduled programing.
That's why we have this smiley
But was an intersting detour LOL
Carol

angelfish220
I'm sorry! I love banana bread and I will try your recipe the next time I have bananas to use

susitna-flower
zpecialt
One word.... Phenomenal! Tried it today and it was fantastic. Although I did use the buttermilk. Thanks for the wonderful recipe! Even the hubby ate it and he always yacks about how he doesn't like bananas.

TheEssigs
I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Ntruder1400
Great sounding recipes here! I am a great cook, but a horrible baker. My wife is a horrible cook, but a great baker. Together we are fat and happy. I will have to see if she will try the banana bread and sunrise rolls recipes.

Head cheese - I watched a show about how it's made the other day and was kind of disgusted - but I've never tried it.

I<3myfish
I agree, while sweets are awesome I would pick mashed potatoes over them any day.

TheEssigs
Well, I do have a... Garlic Parmesean Smashed Potato Recipe... which is just as fattening, if not more... but equally delicious to any sweet.

(and to top it off, I like to butter a piece of hot Italian bread, and top it with the potatoes!)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Valleywren
Replies
Views
Joshaeus
Replies
Views
Slug
Replies
Views