Bamboo

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Janmitch22, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Janmitch22Valued MemberMember

We've got bamboo in the yard. The thin kind. Would they grow if I stuck them in a tank, with a bit of it poking above the waterline, and also monitoring the rot propensity?

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Yes it will grow I have two stalks growing out the top of a tank. Looks really cool.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    J

Janmitch22Valued MemberMember

Lol I breathed a sigh of relief when I read that you'd already done it, Butterfly.  What, did you just cut and stick?

4. Butterfly

Actually what I have is lucky bamboo, it's a little different than what you have. The kind in the yard will do even better. Just cut it, rinse well and plant. Can you get a few roots with a small piece? Watch for it to rot as it does different in all tanks.
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    J

Another good idea! Lucky bamboo is greener than what I have. I may end up switching to it; I like its look. Wait, what tank do you have it in? Can I get a picture? Or two?

6. Butterfly

Sure you can have a pic ;)
    This is a ten gallon with play sand. You can't really see the bamboo for all the other stuff growing.
    The next is over the top of the tank.
    The two short ones to the right are growing in the filter.
    Carol

Attached Files:

7. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

whats in the tank?

8. Butterfly

There are 10 half black yellow guppy juveniles in that tank.
    Carol

9. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

kool when i lived in FL their was a place i would go to all the time that had a forest of bamboo

10. OP
    OP
    J

I do like that! They're growing in sand?

11. Butterfly

The tall one on the left is rooted in the sand and has been since last summer. No sign of rot. The short ones on the right are growing out of the filter.
    Carol

12. OP
    OP
    J

Wow, that really shows the tenacity of bamboo.  We had some in a small bit of the yard and it's just exploded in this southern humidity and heat. But to seed itself and grow out of your filter...! That's cool.

13. Butterfly

Actually they didn't seed themselves. They are just shorter pieces of bamboo that I've put in the filter to grow. I keep plants in several filters, they use some of the nutrients in the water circulating over their roots and help keep the tanks cleaner.
    Carol

14. OP
    OP
    J

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...how clever <writes that down> They need a lightbulb smiley for things like this. I take it you don't need to rinse that filter?

15. Butterfly

No I don't have to rinse the filters with plants in them near as often. the plants love the gunk and use it to grow. when I rinse it I just pull plant and filter media out rinse them in used tank water as usual and plunk plants and media back in until the next time it needs to be cleaned.
    Carol

16. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

I thought you can't use play sand in an aquarium ???

17. OP
    OP
    J

I dunno about Butterfly, but I used pool filter sand in mine. I heard bad stories about all kinds of ick in playground sand.

18. Butterfly

Yes you sure can use play sand in an aquarium. I really like the pool filter sand better, it's not as fine as play sand.
    the problem with sand of any kind is having it pack and form anerobic air pockets. You have to stir it about once a month by hand or keep snails(preferably malasian Trumpet snails) to keep the sand loose and aereated.
    I use MTS in all my sand tanks and have never had a problem.
    Carol

19. OP
    OP
    J

I stir every once in a while ever since I read about the air pockets. When I didn't have any plants, it wasn't a problem. Now that I'm trying to "aquascape", my stirring has to be extremely pinpointed. lol

20. Butterfly

Your plant roots will also help keep the sand aereated. In the sand tank with lots of plants I would stick a drinking straw down in the sand about every 4-5 inches. Sometimes not even that close before I put the snails in. Now I don't stir at all, the snails do my stirring :)
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice