Bamboo shrimps first molt!

• Thread starter wtusa1783
  • Start date

wtusa1783

Well Known
I came home today and saw an exoskeleton. At first I thought he died but I then saw him and he was bright red! He is the most active I’ve ever seen. I was wondering why he was pale and not moving so much in the past few days. I’m guessing this is a good thing? Is there anything else I should do?

Attachments

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Im no expert in shrimp, but I feel like some extra calcium wouldn't hurt him :)

Lswims11

wtusa1783 said:
I came home today and saw an exoskeleton. At first I thought he died but I then saw him and he was bright red! He is the most active I’ve ever seen. I was wondering why he was pale and not moving so much in the past few days. I’m guessing this is a good thing? Is there anything else I should do?
i love your shrimp he is very pretty. how do you care for him and what other fish do you keep in the tank. wondering as i love shrimp but are unsure of care.

Desi

It looks like he had a very good, clean molt. Making sure parameters are stable and he has a good diet are the two main things. If there’s fish in the tank make sure there’s plenty of hiding spaces.
After molting shrimp are very vulnerable as there exoskeleton will be very thin and flimsy for a little while,

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Desi is right you are not doing anything wrong i'd just like to add why he was pale its all down to pre moult when this happens you get a layer of water between the outer shell and the inner one this helps the old moult to come off easy and can give the shrimp a paler look

wtusa1783

Well Known
Blueberrybetta said:
Im no expert in shrimp, but I feel like some extra calcium wouldn't hurt him :)
Ok how would I give it to him? Why does he need extra?

wtusa1783

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
i love your shrimp he is very pretty. how do you care for him and what other fish do you keep in the tank. wondering as i love shrimp but are unsure of care.
Thanks! I’ve only had him for a little over 2 weeks now. I have target fed him 2-3 times I think. I have a fully stocked community with and angel, dwarf neon rainbows, Rummynose tetras, kribensis, and pleco

wtusa1783

Well Known
Desi said:
It looks like he had a very good, clean molt. Making sure parameters are stable and he has a good diet are the two main things. If there’s fish in the tank make sure there’s plenty of hiding spaces.
After molting shrimp are very vulnerable as there exoskeleton will be very thin and flimsy for a little while,
Good! Yes he has plenty of hiding spots all over the tank.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Bamboo are filter feeders so they sit in the currant feeding off microscopic food spot feeding as youve done is fine, if you ever see him trying to pull food off the bottom then spot feed with spirulina

wtusa1783

Well Known
richiep said:
Bamboo are filter feeders so they sit in the currant feeding off microscopic food spot feeding as youve done is fine, if you ever see him trying to pull food off the bottom then spot feed with spirulina
That’s what I did a few days ago. I had just gotten back from vacation and hadn’t fed in 5 days and I had only had him for a week at that point so he hadn’t eaten to much.

Lswims11

wtusa1783 said:
Thanks! I’ve only had him for a little over 2 weeks now. I have target fed him 2-3 times I think. I have a fully stocked community with and angel, dwarf neon rainbows, Rummynose tetras, kribensis, and pleco
wow that's almost exactly the fish i want in my tank! how many gallons is your tank?

wtusa1783

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
wow that's almost exactly the fish i want in my tank! how many gallons is your tank?

wtusa1783

Well Known
Desi said:
Can I take out the molt?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Yes you can take bamboo moults out they will not eat them like neos

wtusa1783

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
do you just have one angelfish?
Yea. I eventually want to get a 75 gallon tank with a few more angels and some rainbows

wtusa1783

Well Known
richiep said:
Yes you can take bamboo moults out they will not eat them like neos
Ok thanks for the help!

Lswims11

wtusa1783 said:
Yea. I eventually want to get a 75 gallon tank with a few more angels and some rainbows
mine is a 45 tall and that in my whole stocking list minus the kribensis and replaced with cories! do you have any problems? sorry this is not at all about your post just wanting to make sure about my stocking. thanks

wtusa1783

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
mine is a 45 tall and that in my whole stocking list minus the kribensis and replaced with cories! do you have any problems? sorry this is not at all about your post just wanting to make sure about my stocking. thanks
That sounds perfect. How long and tall is it? I want cories but my tank is prob overstocked as it is. Once I move the angels and rainbows eventually maybe I’ll get cories. I don’t have any issues at all. No problem!

Lswims11

wtusa1783 said:
That sounds perfect. How long and tall is it? I want cories but my tank is prob overstocked as it is. Once I move the angels and rainbows eventually maybe I’ll get cories. I don’t have any issues at all. No problem!
it is three ft long and two ft tall.

wtusa1783

Well Known
Lswims11 said:
it is three ft long and two ft tall.
O yea that sounds perfect

Lswims11

Top Bottom