Bamboo Shrimps And Vampire Shrimp Battling

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by BklynsBurning, Aug 24, 2019.

1. BklynsBurning

BklynsBurningNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    i added 3 bamboo shrimp to my planted tank over the course of the last 2 months....they are doing well and feeding fine as well as good tankmates....i decided to toss in a vampire shrimp 2 weeks ago...

...the largest bamboo promptly got into a boxing match with the vampire...seems the vampire lost and spent all his time at the bottom of the spray bar while the others are at the top

he must be eating ok because he isnt foraging the substrate...but today i see he tried to move up the bar a bit and boxed the smaller bamboos...(the larger is wandering around in the moss on the other side)

are they just creating a pecking order?...i read they get along fine but i am getting different results

you can see the cholla wood that i added to give them more habitable space..2 of the bamboo are currently occupying it and the vampire is hiding below in the swords again

Attached Files:

2. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,315
    Experience:
    1 year
    Vampires and bamboos shrimp are generally very peaceful shrimp. Vampires tend to be more shy too. There have been cases where they will get into little scuffles with one another, but they don't have any weapons that can cause serious damage. They are likely just jostling one another for the prime feeding spots.

My vampire tends to spend most of his time on the ground rather than climbing as your bamboos do. It may just be because of his large size that he doesn't. But as long as your vampire is feeding down where he is he'll be fine. I always know my vampire is eating from his pleco level poo.

Just keep an eye on them to make sure they are eating and remaining healthy. I've heard of no cases where they would kill one another or wound one another so I wouldn't expect anything like that. How big is the vampire compared to the larger bamboo?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    BklynsBurning

BklynsBurningNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    same size

4. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,315
    Experience:
    1 year
    Once the vampire gains some size he may become a bit more confident around the larger bamboo. They are definitely the shyer of the two. Otherwise as long as they are all eating I wouldn't expect the battling to amount to much. Just vying for the best spot in the flow.