Bamboo Shrimp Question

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by gef21, Apr 4, 2010.

1. gef21

gef21Valued MemberMember

Ok so my fully cycled 38 gallon tank currently has 6 corys and 2 gouramis. My LFS has bamboo shrimp which I just couldnt get over staring at. Would they be ok to add in my tank?

The guy at the store said that they and the corys would be fighting for same food but from everything I read I dont think that is true.

2. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Yes the corys and the bamboos would be fighting over the same food. Most shirmp eat left over food, many of them do not actually eat the algea (some do) I'm not sure about the bamboo shrimp but I'd be sure to look up what they usually eat. If they eat the algea then you're probably okay to add a couple.

3. haedra

haedraWell Known MemberMember

Bamboo shrimp eat by filtering microorganisms through their fans. They will only eat from the bottom of the tank if they cannot get enough food from the water column. You actually want to avoid that from happening, because doing so can damage their fans.

If you need to supplement their feeding, you can always try target feeding them with a turkey baster while they are perched somewhere filtering what they can from the water. :)

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

As Haedra said, the two should not ever compete with for food.

The first thing you need for healthy bamboo shrimp is an extremely mature tank. A somewhat arbitrary (but good, nonetheless) definition of a mature tank is "one that has been running for six months or more." The reason for this is that this allows for all of the wonderful micro-organisms that bamboo shrimp consider to be lunch to grow to full colonies in the tank.

The second is places to perch, preferably in the output of the aquarium's filtration and/or powerheads. They love to sit in current, hold their fans out, and let food come to them.

My opinion is that you should hold off until the end of summer, at which point it should be ready for bamboo shrimp. I know it seems like a long time, but when you consider that I've been waiting for two years to get some of them (I don't have any decor tall enough to give them a proper perch, and have been too cheap to buy any driftwood that fits the bill), six months isn't all that long ;D.

5. OP
    OP
    gef21

gef21Valued MemberMember

thank you for all the responses. Ok I will def hold off on the bamboo shrimp until my tank is more mature. I have the height ( i have some decently tall bamboo plants as well as a nice piece of drift wood) but i want my tank to develop.

Thanks guys!

6. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Are the bamboo plants live or plastic?
    Live lucky bamboo (which isn't actually bamboo, it's a dracaena plant), is often sold as an aquatic plant, and it can survive for several months underwater, but is really a terrestrial plant. It will eventually die in the water, as it's not built to survive constant submersion.

7. DSwoffordValued MemberMember

I have had my lucky bamboo fully submersed in my aquarium for 19 months now with no ill effects. I know all the information out there says otherwise but mine is going strong.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice