Bamboo shrimp

angelcraze

So I want to pick up some more flower shrimp, I think they are tiny still, and I want to quarantine them for a bit. If I get 6 of them, will they be ok QT'd in my heavily planted established 5.5g? I was thinking they'd do better in a established tank then a traditional QT tank? I will feed them fry food. The tank is covered, it has tall driftwood to perch on, and an 5-20g Aquaclear HOB that pours into the tank.

Dch48

In my opinion, shrimp usually do not need to be put in QT. They don't carry anything that is harmful to fish. It could be different if you have just a shrimp tank with nothing else.

I might be crazy but so far, in my year and a half return to the hobby, I have never quarantined anything.

angelcraze

Yeah, wasn't sure if it was needed, but I'm thinking they are tiny and my other tanks in operation all have adult angelfish!

I could keep them in the 5.5g for a week or so and change my pleco growout to a larger tank and grow them out with the plecos?

Feohw

I don't really quarantine my shrimp. Back when I had a shrimp tank I did occasionally when I got new ones out of fear of ellobiopsidae or something similar. Though depending on the size of the shrimp and fish a temporary quarantine may do them well. I would say they may do fine in a 5.5 if they are small enough and you feed them well.

angelcraze

I don't really quarantine my shrimp. Back when I had a shrimp tank I did occasionally when I got new ones out of fear of ellobiopsidae or something similar. Though depending on the size of the shrimp and fish a temporary quarantine may do them well. I would say they may do fine in a 5.5 if they are small enough and you feed them well.
Ok,will do. I'll keep them in the 5.5 for now (a week or so) and move them to the 40 gallon to grow up.

angelcraze

Bummer, they were sold out. But I ended up buying 2 new angelfish to go with the 7 I just picked up QT. So it wasn't a total bust. Thanks for the info anyways!

tjander

IMO, one of the secrets to shrimping is stability. So QT a shrimp then moving it again shortly after could be a shock. That said, if you already have in the tank leave them alone for a few months. Then move them if you want. Always drip acclimate them over the period of several hours.

You say small how small is small? I am concerned about the angle fish eating them if they are too small and the angles are large.

Bamboo shrimp will grow out to be a couple inches long and would not be eaten by most fish, though the can be picked on. Angles can be very aggressive especially at breeding time.

Good luck.

Picture might be worth a 100 words here.

Feohw

Bummer, they were sold out. But I ended up buying 2 new angelfish to go with the 7 I just picked up QT. So it wasn't a total bust. Thanks for the info anyways!
Bummer, though more angels sounds nice. Are you still planning on bamboos in the future?
IMO, one of the secrets to shrimping is stability. So QT a shrimp then moving it again shortly after could be a shock. That said, if you already have in the tank leave them alone for a few months. Then move them if you want. Always drip acclimate them over the period of several hours.

You say small how small is small? I am concerned about the angle fish eating them if they are too small and the angles are large.

Bamboo shrimp will grow out to be a couple inches long and would not be eaten by most fish, though the can be picked on. Angles can be very aggressive especially at breeding time.

Good luck.

Agree about stability. I'd personally skip the 5.5 for a week if the 40 is viable - unless there are angels in the 40 and the shrimp are tiny. (never mind - no angels - I realized the 40 is for plecos I think?) Or do the 5.5 for longer. Though as the purchase fell through there's not much to worry about. Definitely something to take into consideration if she still plans on them.

Last edited:

angelcraze

Good luck.

Thank you I have one adult bamboo shrimp in my 90g with angelfish. He's 3" long and I've had him for 3 years already! I wanted to get him some friends, but the store was sold out of the bamboo shrimp But tx for the info next time!

Bummer, though more angels sounds nice. Are you still planning on bamboos in the future?

Agree about stability. I'd personally skip the 5.5 for a week if the 40 is viable - unless there are angels in the 40 and the shrimp are tiny. (never mind - no angels - I realized the 40 is for plecos I think?) Or do the 5.5 for longer. Though as the purchase fell through there's not much to worry about. Definitely something to take into consideration if she still plans on them.
Yeah if I find a sale again, I would go for larger shrimp to keep in my community tanks. Maybe even vampire shrimp. But they are expensive, and i'm 'thrifty', so I will wait for a deal.

I was going to set up a larger tank for the plecos and move the bamboos to grow out in there. Ideally I would have put them straight into the 40 gallon if it was set up, but I was leaving right then to pick them up. Ahh well, now I have a better plan for when I do get some new shrimp.

Yep, I'm pretty stoked about my new angels. They are platinum paraiba, can't wait for them to grow out a bit. They were at the store for a couple month, had my eye on them for a while. I just set up a QT tank for 7 angels I got the night before, so it was good timing to add the two others.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

tjander

Anglecraze, excuse me for asking but did I understand you to say your going to put 7 angles in a 40 gallon tank or are you adding 7 more angelfish to the 90g tank?

I ask because you seem to have some experience with angelfish and I would think either tank with 7 or more angelfish would possibly pose problems.

Just more asking then advising.

angelcraze

Anglecraze, excuse me for asking but did I understand you to say your going to put 7 angles in a 40 gallon tank or are you adding 7 more angelfish to the 90g tank?

I ask because you seem to have some experience with angelfish and I would think either tank with 7 or more angelfish would possibly pose problems.

Just more asking then advising.
Sorry I must all over the place. I have 9 tanks going at the moment. My adult 3" bamboo shrimp is in the 90g with 8 adult angelfish. I also had/have 10 amano shrimp in there and the angels leave them alone. Been that way for more than 3 years.

I also have a BN pleco growout tank, but it's pretty packed as it is, so I was going to update their tank to 40 gallons and add the bamboo shrimp to that tank to grow them up a bit before I add them to a community tank with angelfish.

Then yesterday I picked up two new young angels and added them to another 40 gallon QT tank I just set up 3 nights ago. So the two new angels went with 7 others I just added 2 days ago.

So I was talking about 3 tanks so far, 2 x 40 gallon tanks and my 90g. Does that explain it better?

Feohw

Yeah if I find a sale again, I would go for larger shrimp to keep in my community tanks. Maybe even vampire shrimp. But they are expensive, and i'm 'thrifty', so I will wait for a deal.
Highly recommend vampires. Maybe my favourite shrimp. Love their size. Can be pricey though so I understand the turnoff.
Yep, I'm pretty stoked about my new angels. They are platinum paraiba, can't wait for them to grow out a bit. They were at the store for a couple month, had my eye on them for a while. I just set up a QT tank for 7 angels I got the night before, so it was good timing to add the two others.
Sounds lovely. But 9 new angels..... sounds like you have a bit of MAS! Very jealous
Sorry I must all over the place. I have 9 tanks going at the moment.
And MTS, wow. I only have 2 atm.

angelcraze

Highly recommend vampires. Maybe my favourite shrimp. Love their size. Can be pricey though so I understand the turnoff.

Sounds lovely. But 9 new angels..... sounds like you have a bit of MAS! Very jealous

And MTS, wow. I only have 2 atm.
Just a bit of MAS and MTS lol! I had more tanks and more angels at one time because I was breeding them. I plan to breed the new angels with some of the ones I already have as I prefer to outcross them (less genetic deformity). I'm restocking my angels after my camallanus worm outbreak. Can't wait to work with new genes!

Latest threads

Top Bottom