Bamboo Shrimp Question

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by 2040473, Feb 26, 2019.

1. 2040473

2040473Valued MemberMember

2. toeknee

toekneeWell Known MemberMember

A good water flow as they are filter feeders, and a tight lid since they're escape artists.

3. OP
    OP

Ok would a 301 power bead work for current?

I am thinking about getting a bamboo shrimp does anyone with experience have pointers of what could be good tank mates?

4. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Hello welcome
    Bamboo are very placid best kept in pairs any fish is always dicey with shrimp especially if they bite off the bamboo feeder arms so just be careful of what fish you add, what fish are you thinking of that would be better for people to say yes or no

5. OP
    OP

Umm well I have the 29 gallon tank that I’m thinking about putting it in. Right now there is a small school of red eye tetras, two small platies, one guppy, and one golden groumi. Are those all ok to have with the shrimp? None of them have shown signs of aggression.

Also do I need live plants for it?

6. richie.p

Red eyed tetra can be fin nippers and may have a go but the bamboo as size on his side the groumi will eat baby shrimp so size again may help, so you have two species that may give you trouble, make sure he as somewhere to hide and the first sign of trouble pull him out or they will kill him

You don't need live plants they are filter feeders and need to be in the flow or current to pick up particles in the water column

7. OP
    OP

Ok thank you. The tank I am planning to put it in has many hiding spots. Would a 301 power head work for the current? Also do you think I should keep more then one together?

8. richie.p

It's best to keep two and as long as theres a water flow they will feed if you find them scavaging on the bottom you will need to put food in that easily breaks up on the bottom for them

9. OP
    OP

Ok thank you so much for your help!

10. Bab Dat Fish

Bab Dat FishValued MemberMember

actually live plants may help because they trap small waste particles that the shrimp filter feed

11. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Will bamboo breed in a tank? I never thought they would can’t say why I thought no, but I just assumed...

12. richie.p

Not likely they need brackish water just like ammanos. I've never heard of anyone having success I must have had s dozen and never seen one berried like I do ammanos

13. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember