Bamboo Shrimp Tankmates

Jellibeen

I have a ten gallon with two bamboo shrimp. The zebra danio fry I have in there are approaching the size where I can move them to their permanent home. I am starting to think about what else may be appropriate to keep in the tank. I would like to keep red cherries but I am not sure they would be good tankmates. If not, I am thinking some interesting snails. I have seen some very pretty ones available online. My tank can get a little messy since the bamboo shrimp are filter feeders. I do water changes often to keep the substrate clean. It would be nice to have some critters to help with that. I think the waterflow may be too high for a betta to be comfortable.

RainBetta

I may be wrong, but I think that you are fully stocked. Bamboo shrimp have a minimum of 20 or 30 gallons if I recall correctly. If not, then a sparkling or honey gourami would be nice

Aqua Hands

If, you speak of Singapore Flower Shrimp here is my advice.

If, you keep some make sure that they always have food. ALWAYS, I have a 10 gallon that's been up for I think 10 months??? I got them after about 5 month. I made sure my tank could support them.

Dakotablue

RCS have basically no bioload so should be ok but you need to make sure the bamboo have enough to eat. RCS will just pick up the scraps. A nerite snail could help keep things toda too if you're feeding a lot.

Once the fish are out it should be better in terms of bioload if your filtration is decent.

Jellibeen

Yup, I feed them frozen baby brine shrimp or powdered algae wafers/krill daily. The tank is heavily planted and they are nearly always perched somewhere fanning.

goldface

I may be wrong, but I think that you are fully stocked. Bamboo shrimp have a minimum of 20 or 30 gallons if I recall correctly.
No, that doesn’t sound right at all.

aussieJJDude

Cherry shrimp are a great choice!

Maybe consider a couple of ember tetras (likea group of 6)?

Jellibeen

No, that doesn’t sound right at all.
I’ve read stuff that says that says that as well, though it seems to have more to do having a filter with enough current.

Jellibeen

I am happy to hear red cherry shrimp will be good in the aquarium. They are what I originally set up the 10 gallon for. I had to move Mario and Cecil over when I was medicating my 29 gallon. They are so much more active that I didn't want to move them back. It's so nice to see them perched all about instead of hiding.

GuppyGirl3

I may be wrong, but I think that you are fully stocked. Bamboo shrimp have a minimum of 20 or 30 gallons if I recall correctly. If not, then a sparkling or honey gourami would be nice
Yeah. I've heard sizes as large as 40 gallons. I'm not sure why they need such big tanks, but I agree with you

aussieJJDude

Yeah. I've heard sizes as large as 40 gallons. I'm not sure why they need such big tanks, but I agree with you
The big tank thing probably is due to water quality - they require good water quality... which I'm assure you know and have since you got the shrimp - and also the food source they require. A larger tank will theoretically have more food than a smaller one.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
Shamannite80
Replies
Views
Timmy1027
  • Question