Bamboo shrimp stuck

Jbabb7

My bamboo shrimp has been in the built in filter on the back of my tank for about 2 weeks now. He is underneath some bio-balls, that are underneath a drip tray. That compartment fills up with water, so he IS completely submerged in about 10 inches of water, with a bunch of bio-balls to swim around and through. I attempted to take apart the filter, take out all the filter media, and catch him in a net. After about 30 minutes I gave up and put the filter back together. I know this is probably tough to picture, but I really just want to know if he can live back there? Hey seems fine every time I look, but I'm a little worried about this set up long term lol.

Yeoy

I mean it can probably survive in there for a while. When I used to have sumps I used to find snails, shrimp and livebearer fry in their all the time and some of them had obviously been there weeks or months.

But for a larger shrimp that likes to feed in the water column like the bamboo, I would think it's definitely not good long term. I'd say set some time aside and properly try and "rescue" it for lack of a better term. You could try putting some mesh or a pre-filter over your filter in-take so it doesn't happen again too.

Upvote 0

richiep

It's amazing where these get to, I've read that when some are rescued and put back in the tank thay go back in the filter or pipe work, some spend their life onto of certain filters and only removed for cleaning, they know exactly where to go for food
In your case I'd agree with Yeoy take him out once but if he returns back to the filter I'd leave him, I know its not what you want as you bought him to to watch but unless you block his way he may very well keep returning
I still get shrimp in filters, I'm amazed how they bypass the impellers and some have to come out of the water to get into the back part of the tanks filter

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Victor Noda
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Still bamboo shrimp