10 Gallon Tank Bamboo shrimp mistake-what do I do?

StupidQuestionMan
I visited my local pet store and saw bamboo shrimp for sale. I had read about other shrimp and how to take care of them and I had an empty 10 gallon tank at home. I had no idea that they had way larger tank size requirements. I was really quite sure that a couple would be fine, but I did a quick search just to be safe. The first few results all said 10 gallon as the minimum, and so did the store employee. I bought 2 and took them home. When I got home I did a little more research and found that the recommendation was 10 gallon as the absolute minimum for just 1, and that 20 was really more suitable. I am now absolutely freaking out because I don't know what do do with them. I bought plenty of food and the tank seems otherwise suited for them. I just need to know if there's any chance they'll be alright if I feed them often, and if not what do I do? Do most pet store's allow returns on the basis of having made a personal error, I'd assume not. I don't know anyone with a fish tank and I really just want them to be safe and happy. Please, please let me know if there's anything I can do so that the shrimp don't have to suffer for my stupid mistake.

mimo91088
I can't speak to their care, but if it's a good store they'll take them back. If they refuse, I'd bring your business elsewhere.

AggressiveAquatics
I don’t think that it would be an issue as long as they are the only thing in there. Just make sure you use really small foods and have some flow so they can catch their food. They only eat food off the ground if they are starving

veggieshark
I don't know if you should freak out. If you are able meet their feeding needs, you are probably good enough to be able to keep them in a 10g.

I would not blame a fish store if they don't want to take back their fish (other than to compensate for their own error, for example if they sold a diseased fish). Live animals is risky, and by the same sense of responsibility they would not want to introduce an animal coming from outside in to their system. Once it is with the customer, it is now an outside animal.

Cherryshrimp420
StupidQuestionMan said:
I visited my local pet store and saw bamboo shrimp for sale. I had read about other shrimp and how to take care of them and I had an empty 10 gallon tank at home. I had no idea that they had way larger tank size requirements. I was really quite sure that a couple would be fine, but I did a quick search just to be safe. The first few results all said 10 gallon as the minimum, and so did the store employee. I bought 2 and took them home. When I got home I did a little more research and found that the recommendation was 10 gallon as the absolute minimum for just 1, and that 20 was really more suitable. I am now absolutely freaking out because I don't know what do do with them. I bought plenty of food and the tank seems otherwise suited for them. I just need to know if there's any chance they'll be alright if I feed them often, and if not what do I do? Do most pet store's allow returns on the basis of having made a personal error, I'd assume not. I don't know anyone with a fish tank and I really just want them to be safe and happy. Please, please let me know if there's anything I can do so that the shrimp don't have to suffer for my stupid mistake.
Do you have the proper setup for them? They feed off of detritus in the water column which means you need debris filled water with high flow. Feeding them with food generally doesn't work well

Top Bottom