Bamboo Shrimp Missing Fans After Multing?`

jeovw007

So I noticed my bamboo shrimp has been hiding, saw him shoot out yesterday and hes a sduper bright orange now and all 4 of his Fans are gone! I found his exoskeleton mult in the tank so he just multed. I can't tell if they are stuck to his mouth or if he has lost them. I highly doubt my fish messed with him, and my only guess is something went terribly wrong during the mult? Is this normal? Idk what to do, but he hasnt eaten for 2 days and I'm getting worried. Since I got him from the fish store, he had gained tons of color, seemed awfully happy, and it took him almost 3 weeks to mult for the first time in my tank. I swore he was super healthy but now IDK if he has some sort of deficiency. Does anyone know what is happening or if there is anything I can do to help him?

jeovw007

=(

jeovw007

anyone have any idea what's going on?

bitseriously

If he just had his fans tucked under his mouth, which they can do, would you know it? I mean, would you be able to tell that apart from not having fans?
Moving forward, here’s your scenarios.
  1. It does not have fans. There’s only one outcome, it’s just a matter of time.
  2. It has fans, is choosing not to feed at this time, will feed when if feels like it. It will be fine in the long run.
  3. It has fans, is choosing not to feed and this time, and never will. Same outcome as number 1.
Thing is, whatever scenario you’re in, there’s nothing you can do to change the outcome. All you can do is watch, and observe.
Okay, maybe you can reconfigure the tank, or change filters in an effort to influence its behaviour.
But i’d just let it play out.

jeovw007

If he just had his fans tucked under his mouth, which they can do, would you know it? I mean, would you be able to tell that apart from not having fans?
Moving forward, here’s your scenarios.
  1. It does not have fans. There’s only one outcome, it’s just a matter of time.
  2. It has fans, is choosing not to feed at this time, will feed when if feels like it. It will be fine in the long run.
  3. It has fans, is choosing not to feed and this time, and never will. Same outcome as number 1.
Thing is, whatever scenario you’re in, there’s nothing you can do to change the outcome. All you can do is watch, and observe.
Okay, maybe you can reconfigure the tank, or change filters in an effort to influence its behaviour.
But i’d just let it play out.
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I hope they are just tucked

jeovw007

So update is they were just tucked, this was my first time going through a mult with my shrimp, and I did as much searching as possible to see if they tuck their fans after a mult.

Conclusion: Bamboo shrimp tuck their fans for a couple days after multing because they are still soft, and I guess they are trying to protect them until their exoskeleton hardens a bit. Hope this helps someone else.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Still bamboo shrimp
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
Replies
Views