Bamboo Shrimp Mia

Lchi87
So for about 12 hours I was a proud owner of a new bamboo shrimp....until I went to bed and woke up the next morning to find him missing. He was kept in a 10 gallon with a betta, ghost shrimp and mystery snails. I still haven't found him but he is definitely not in the tank. Checked the filters and surrounding area but I'm having a hard time believing he made it a long way off.

Does anyone have any experience with escaping bamboo shrimp?

Is it possible he felt claustrophobic in a 10 gallon and decided to go exploring?

He turned a reddish color last night so I'm guessing that means he was happy? ( based on my reading)

FishObbessed
Idk but I have had an Amano Shrimp escape and get a far distance.

KarenSoCal
He could be molting...are you absolutely sure he's not up inside a decoration or something? They can be hard to see, especially if on driftwood.
Do you have a good tight lid on the tank?

Lchi87
He could be molting...are you absolutely sure he's not up inside a decoration or something? They can be hard to see, especially if on driftwood.
Do you have a good tight lid on the tank?
I checked the only ornament in the tank and he was 100% not in there. I have no wood in that tank currently and moved every rock and plant. If he's in there and I managed to miss him after all that, I might jump out of a window LOL. The lid has a gap to allow the HOB clearance to attach to the tank so I'm thinking he crawled up the intake and through the gap.

KarenSoCal
Gosh, I'm sorry. My girl has never (to my knowledge) tried to get out. She pretty much stays on or in or near her rock cave. She rarely even ventures to the other end of the tank, a 20 long. They are fast...look everywhere, even if you think it's too far. Sure hope you find him!

KarenSoCal
Something occurred to me...they like to climb. Is there anything close to the tank he could have gone up? A curtain, windowshade, etc? This kind of thing drives me nuts! LOL!

Fanatic
If you didn't find him timely, he'd dry up without water.

Lchi87
Something occurred to me...they like to climb. Is there anything close to the tank he could have gone up? A curtain, windowshade, etc? This kind of thing drives me nuts! LOL!
LOL no, no curtains or anything above that tank. Its on a stretch of bare wall by the kitchen and the only thing on that wall is the tank and iron stand. Yesterday my SO and I looked under the furniture and rugs with flashlights to see if we could find him but no luck so far. I can't see him making it to the back of the condo where the bedrooms and bathroom are though...or am I underestimating this shrimp? If they do prefer to climb than scoot around on the floor, we haven't been looking in the right places then. Thanks for the additional info though!
If you didn't find him timely, he'd dry up without water.
I am certain he is shriveled up by now

toeknee
Before I put a lid on my tank I lost a harlequin rasbora...I couldn't find him ANYWHERE. I gave up, 2 months later I found a shriveled rasbora under my bed. So he flopped out of my tank in the living room, down the hallway and into my bedroom for a total of 25ish feet!

Lchi87
Before I put a lid on my tank I lost a harlequin rasbora...I couldn't find him ANYWHERE. I gave up, 2 months later I found a shriveled rasbora under my bed. So he flopped out of my tank in the living room, down the hallway and into my bedroom for a total of 25ish feet!
Whoa okay so maybe I am totally underestimating this shrimp then...I wonder if having carpet flooring helped him get around faster or slower...

Fanatic

Wow, that is quite far! I would've screamed if I had found a missing fish under the bed.

James17
I don't know if it would do any good, or if it's been too long but maybe a couple bowls of water on the floor.

KarenSoCal
Somewhere I read that in the wild, male bamboos will leave their current stream, and go to a nearby stream to check it out. I don't know how far that would be, but they can do land for a bit. I'm fairly certain yours is dead by now, but would be interesting to solve the mystery! You don't have a cat or dog, do you?
Edit: I think he would look for another body of water, and then a cave of sorts. How about potted plants?

Lchi87
I don't know if it would do any good, or if it's been too long but maybe a couple bowls of water on the floor.
I wish I had thought of this sooner but over 24 hours out of water...I don't think he's alive . Unless someone thinks otherwise; I'd love to be wrong here!
Wow, that is quite far! I would've screamed if I had found a missing fish under the bed.
I would have done the same; shrimp creep me out and fascinate me simultaneously so I am sure I will shriek and run away if I ever stumble across his dried up body.

Lchi87
Somewhere I read that in the wild, male bamboos will leave their current stream, and go to a nearby stream to check it out. I don't know how far that would be, but they can do land for a bit. I'm fairly certain yours is dead by now, but would be interesting to solve the mystery! You don't have a cat or dog, do you?
Nope, no other critters aside from my aquatic ones. I would love if he turned up in another tank....my 40 breeder is directly across from the 10g.

EDIT: I'll have to check my plants when I get home then!

James17
I think I would take a flashlight and look in every room, no matter how far, there's always hope till there's not.

KarenSoCal
See my edit, post # 13....

Lchi87
See my edit, post # 13....
Saw it! I'm going to check my plants when I get off work.

Fanatic
I would love if he turned up in another tank....my 40 breeder is directly across from the 10g.

What if he did, and flopped all the way down, and crawled into another tank.

Edit: This makes me want to prepare super well before getting my amano shrimp. I wouldn't want one to get into my bedroom, and in my bed.

Lchi87
What if he did, and flopped all the way down, and crawled into another tank.
If he made it safely into another tank, I would be thrilled...unless it was my 55 gallon cichlid tank... Then he most likely turned into a snack.

Fanatic
I can imagine that as a cartoon.

Hmm, where's the nearest tank. Woah! There's paradise, I'll go there and live peacefully! Uh, oh. Aaa!

PatrickShrimp
Crustaceans are interesting when it comes to breathing. Under their shell is where the gills (kinda gills but kinda not) are located. As long as they remain wet, it'll be able to breathe the air.

Lchi87
Crustaceans are interesting when it comes to breathing. Under their shell is where the gills (kinda gills but kinda not) are located. As long as they remain wet, it'll be able to breathe the air.
Well I'm 100% sure he's dried up by now unless he miraculously found a way to keep himself moist without water....

My boyfriend surprised me with 2 new bamboo shrimp yesterday so hopefully I can get these guys to stay in their tank!

PatrickShrimp
Is the tank planted? I would put them in the 40 breeder if I were you.

Lchi87
Is the tank planted? I would put them in the 40 breeder if I were you.
Yes, all my tanks are planted. I did put them both in the 40b this time. I'm anxious to get home for lunch to make sure they're still there!

Florian Pellet
I've had a bamboo shrimp escape once. I noticed because my dog brought it to me... I read somewhere that they do that if they don't like it where they are. And this might not necessarily mean poor water quality but since they eat by spreading their fans out, if there isn't enough floating stuff in the water, they'll go and look for a better home.

My second bamboo shrimp, in another tank, never tried to escape. Parameters are the same in both tanks but the second one has more free floating stuff

Lchi87
I've had a bamboo shrimp escape once. I noticed because my dog brought it to me... I read somewhere that they do that if they don't like it where they are. And this might not necessarily mean poor water quality but since they eat by spreading their fans out, if there isn't enough floating stuff in the water, they'll go and look for a better home.

My second bamboo shrimp, in another tank, never tried to escape. Parameters are the same in both tanks but the second one has more free floating stuff
That makes total sense actually. The 10 gallon I had the first one in was a bit "cleaner" in that aspect. Thanks for weighing in.

KarenSoCal
Also, you can supplement their fanning by adding a supplement. I put a very tiny amount of HikarI First Bites into the filter output every couple days. I just ordered some 5-50 micron Golden Pearls. They stay in the water column longer.

Lchi87
Also, you can supplement their fanning by adding a supplement. I put a very tiny amount of HikarI First Bites into the filter output every couple days. I just ordered some 5-50 micron Golden Pearls. They stay in the water column longer.
What are Golden Pearls?

I just fed them defrosted daphnia mixed with tank water in a squirt bottle. So cute how they opened up their fans for the food! I've read that they are omnivorous...do they lean more towards meat or veggies you think? I was thinking of pulverizing some algae wafers for them too.

James17
So far you still have not found him?

Lchi87
So far you still have not found him?
Nope, the original shrimp is MIA still..

Namtab
Wow, have bamboo shrimps become more popular or something? (Is that correct grammar?)
Making me jealous

You might want to get something to increase the flow a bit (you use an AC110 right?) as that will assist them in finding food and their all around happiness, it might also give them a bit of an incentive to stay in the tank.

Upon looking them up, golden pearls seem to be a high protein (apparently 60%) type of food used for feeding fry and corals. (Amazon.com "Golden pearls fish food"

Lchi87
Wow, have bamboo shrimps become more popular or something? (Is that correct grammar?)
Making me jealous

You might want to get something to increase the flow a bit (you use an AC110 right?) as that will assist them in finding food and their all around happiness, it might also give them a bit of an incentive to stay in the tank.

Upon looking them up, golden pearls seem to be a type of food used for feeding marine fry and corals. (Amazon.com "Golden pearls fish food"
Yes, an AC110 and AC 70 also. So should I get a powerhead or something? I've never had one of those before.

KarenSoCal
Golden Pearls can be used for anything that needs small food. They come in different sizes to accommodate different fry. They are good for filter feeders because they are made with a process that puts the tiniest amount of air into the pearl. They float in the water column, not settling out, for a longer time, giving the babies or shrimp more time to find and catch them.

Namtab
Yes, an AC110 and AC 70 also. So should I get a powerhead or something? I've never had one of those before.
The bamboo shrimp at the lfs always seem to be in the areas with the most amount of flow, so I would recommend it, unless the fish in your 40B prefer low amounts flow

Imo it would also make feeding easier.

Lchi87
The bamboo shrimp at my lfs always seem to be in the areas with the most amount of flow, so I would recommend it, unless the fish in your 40B prefer low amounts flow

I keep my juvie EBAs in there along with some special needs angels so I don't think the powerhead will work out

Golden Pearls can be used for anything that needs small food. They come in different sizes to accommodate different fry. They are good for filter feeders because they are made with a process that puts the tiniest amount of air into the pearl. They float in the water column, not settling out, for a longer time, giving the babies or shrimp more time to find and catch them.
I'll definitely have to check that out, thanks so much for the tip!

KarenSoCal
What are Golden Pearls?

I just fed them defrosted daphnia mixed with tank water in a squirt bottle. So cute how they opened up their fans for the food! I've read that they are omnivorous...do they lean more towards meat or veggies you think? I was thinking of pulverizing some algae wafers for them too.
I'm sure algae wafers would be good, but my thinking is that every living creature needs protein. And it seems to be a little more difficult to find protein small enough for bamboos. That's why I've been using First Bites, and now Golden Pearls. She gets lots of plant material from my moderately well planted tank.

Florian Pellet
The bamboo shrimp at the lfs always seem to be in the areas with the most amount of flow, so I would recommend it, unless the fish in your 40B prefer low amounts flow

I concur. Mine sometimes goes right inside of the Lily pipe (not at full flow though). It seems to like as much current as possible.

Lchi87
Okay so I may have to see if I can figure out a powerhead situation that won't blow the baby fish around but still keep the shrimp happy.

KarenSoCal
Re' the powerhead...my bamboo is in a 20 long. The AquaClear 50 is on the right rear, and I have a small internal filter from Petsmart on the left rear. I removed the spray bar from the small internal one, and let it bubble out of its "output" hole. With some experimentation, I have it positioned so there is a gentle circular surface current that pushes all food into the AC output. Here are pics to explain better...
1st is internal filter beside spare sponge on left, with a photobombing ghosty.
2nd is AC on right.
3rd is entire tank.
Bamboo sits on driftwood on right where snail is now.
60c8f4c5c49eb41379932581cc83a8ef.jpg
5dae71e2785b205ebd03055e85be6d6e.jpg
acb84766f002b71d9fd01b437cf3344e.jpg

Edit: I have not put any polishing media in my filter. Really don't want the very fine particles filtered out!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jellibeen
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views
LyndaB
Replies
Views