60 Gallon Tank Bamboo shrimp in a guppy tank?

Sanderguy777

Member
I am new to the shrimp game. I have always wanted a bamboo shrimp (or twenty), but I have never had an established tank that had the right filter to allow them to feed on the particles.

So, my questions are:
1. Do I NEED a filter or powerhead that circulates unfiltered water, or just a bit of flow, and then small food to feed them?

2. What other needs do they have? I have a planted, sand-based tank with manzanita wood and lots of guppies and some corys. I can get coconut shells and stuff for hiding places if they need them, but wouldn't the wood and plants be enough cover?

3. I want to get a small species of apistogramma and maybe some neo shrimp at some point, will they be ok with namboo shrimp and vice-versa?
 

Timmy1027

Member
1. For one bamboo shrimp, you don’t need extra power head. It will find a best spot and stay there almost all the time. Since your tank is large enough with plants, I don’t think you need spot feed it either. But if you want to keep 20, it is better to have a power head and large feeding station facing the power head. Otherwise, they will fight and some of them won’t have enough food filtered out of weak current.

2. could you please share a picture of your aquarium build? Based on your description, I don’t think you need more stuff to fit one bamboo.

3. I heardApistogramma will bite shrimps and eat them. The fans of bamboo shrimps are fragile. Therefore I don’t think it is a good idea. As for the nano shrimps, guppies can eat anything fitting their mouth size, such as shrimp babies. I don’t recommend adding nano shrimps into your tank if you want to breed them at some point.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sanderguy777

Member
Timmy1027 said:
1. For one bamboo shrimp, you don’t need extra power head. It will find a best spot and stay there almost all the time. Since your tank is large enough with plants, I don’t think you need spot feed it either. But if you want to keep 20, it is better to have a power head and large feeding station facing the power head. Otherwise, they will fight and some of them won’t have enough food filtered out of weak current.

2. could you please share a picture of your aquarium build? Based on your description, I don’t think you need more stuff to fit one bamboo.

3. I heardApistogramma will bite shrimps and eat them. The fans of bamboo shrimps are fragile. Therefore I don’t think it is a good idea. As for the nano shrimps, guppies can eat anything fitting their mouth size, such as shrimp babies. I don’t recommend adding nano shrimps into your tank if you want to breed them at some point.
1. Good to know. I'll probably start with 1 or 2 and then get more if I want a tank devoted to them.

2. Oops, ill attach one at the end.

3. I hadnt thought about the apistogramma biting those fans, but that would make sense. I'll definitely be careful getting other fish in that tank.
The smaller shrimp would be less of a breeding project and more of another critter that looks cool. I have a bunch of java moss in one part of the tank so i expect they would bw able to hide if they needed to (and they would have TONS of food there too because that tangle collects all kinds of food and algae!)

Edit: oops, forgot the attachment!
 

Attachments

Timmy1027

Member
Sanderguy777 said:
1. Good to know. I'll probably start with 1 or 2 and then get more if I want a tank devoted to them.

2. Oops, ill attach one at the end.

3. I hadnt thought about the apistogramma biting those fans, but that would make sense. I'll definitely be careful getting other fish in that tank.
The smaller shrimp would be less of a breeding project and more of another critter that looks cool. I have a bunch of java moss in one part of the tank so i expect they would bw able to hide if they needed to (and they would have TONS of food there too because that tangle collects all kinds of food and algae!)

Edit: oops, forgot the attachment!
What a beautiful tank! I think for nano shrimps, they will have plenty of hiding space and even are able to pass generations. The only downside is that you may need introduce a dozens of nano shrimps to be able to see one or two at a time.

As for the bamboo shrimp, if I guess correctly, the white pipe to the left is where filtered water coming out of? Is it strong enough to push waves to the right side? If true, I think the bamboo shrimp will like your driftwood to stay on. Otherwise, it may attach to the airstone near the bubbles.

Thanks for sharing your tank.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sanderguy777

Member
The white pipes are part of the air powered matten filter, but don't have hardly any flow (at least with regard to the other side of the tank).
I am actually expecting to get rid of the matten filter because it is a messy hassle to clean it and the sponge filter is probably plenty of surface area for BB to live on.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment on the tank and letting me know that the shrimp will like their home!
Will the bamboo shrimp be fine with "fry food" from aquarium co-op? The squirty bottle of powder? That's the stuff I feed my guppies since they have such tiny mouths...
 

Timmy1027

Member
Sanderguy777 said:
Will the bamboo shrimp be fine with "fry food" from aquarium co-op? The squirty bottle of powder? That's the stuff I feed my guppies since they have such tiny mouths...
Yes, bamboo shrimp can feed on fine powdered baby fish food. I am dosing the Hikari brand(Robot Check). The size is 50-300 micro meter in diameter. But you need waves to put food through their fans.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sanderguy777

Member
I have plenty of surface agitation, that food i feed goes over half the tank, bht it goes straight down. Does it need to go at an angle into their fans?
 

Timmy1027

Member
Sanderguy777 said:
I have plenty of surface agitation, that food i feed goes over half the tank, bht it goes straight down. Does it need to go at an angle into their fans?
Horizontal circulation is preferred, but bamboo shrimp can also face upwards. I think you can start with one and observe how it goes. If it is working well, you may consider adding a small power head, which can be adjusted and anchored however you want.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sanderguy777

Member
Sounds good!
I am wanting to get some tonight, is there a nano shrimp that would go well with them?
Like neocaradina as opposed to ghosts? (Caradina are out as I have 7.0 ish water)
 

Timmy1027

Member
Sanderguy777 said:
Sounds good!
I am wanting to get some tonight, is there a nano shrimp that would go well with them?
Like neocaradina as opposed to ghosts? (Caradina are out as I have 7.0 ish water)
I have kept bamboo shrimp together with ghost shrimp, amano and a variety of neocaridina/cardina. There is no problem at all. Bamboo shrimps may be most peaceful shrimp. Looking forward to your pictures of new members.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sanderguy777

Member
We ended up not getting them. I will, but im going to look for a different LFS. This one is too expensive unfortunately.
 

Timmy1027

Member
Sanderguy777 said:
We ended up not getting them. I will, but im going to look for a different LFS. This one is too expensive unfortunately.
What is the price? My LFS sells adult at$15 and juvenile at $10 each. The cheapest online resource I found is Aqua Huna. Perhaps you can do a bit search. Good luck.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sanderguy777

Member
Timmy1027 said:
What is the price? My LFS sells adult at$15 and juvenile at $10 each. The cheapest online resource I found is Aqua Huna. Perhaps you can do a bit search. Good luck.
I just found aqua huna! Mine wanted $18 for what I assume is an adult (~2" long).
AH only wants $21 for 3!
I was thinking about a tiny species of rainbow since I'm getting a shipment from aqua huna.
Are the blue eyed fork tails going to cause problems for the bamboo shrimp?
(Sorry, I just see pretty much any fish and fall in love!)
 

Timmy1027

Member
Sanderguy777 said:
I just found aqua huna! Mine wanted $18 for what I assume is an adult (~2" long).
AH only wants $21 for 3!
I was thinking about a tiny species of rainbow since I'm getting a shipment from aqua huna.
Are the blue eyed fork tails going to cause problems for the bamboo shrimp?
(Sorry, I just see pretty much any fish and fall in love!)
haha, you are greedy! I have no experience with that fish, but you may find answer by google.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sanderguy777

Member
Timmy1027 said:
haha, you are greedy! I have no experience with that fish, but you may find answer by google.
Ok, I'll take a quick peek. They only get like 2 or 3 inches long and the lady at the LFS today said they would be safe with the bamboo shrimp (they had a couple that were in with a few apistogramma, but I didn't want to jump on them till I was sure they would work).

I thought they were one of the prettier rainbowfish in the world, but now that i started looking, they are still high on the list, but there are SO many types!
 

Timmy1027

Member
Sanderguy777 said:
Ok, I'll take a quick peek. They only get like 2 or 3 inches long and the lady at the LFS today said they would be safe with the bamboo shrimp (they had a couple that were in with a few apistogramma, but I didn't want to jump on them till I was sure they would work).

I thought they were one of the prettier rainbowfish in the world, but now that i started looking, they are still high on the list, but there are SO many types!
Glad you find a new world.
 
Top Bottom