Bamboo Shrimp Eating RCS

1. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Yesterday I bought three Bamboo Shrimp from PetCo and divided them up. Two into my 40 gallon where there's already another one, and one into my 10g betta tank. Before I introduced the bamboo shrimp, the betta tank had a lot of RCS crawling all over everywhere, on the gravel, on the driftwood, plants, etc.

However, since the bamboo's gone in, virtually every RCS has vanished. This can only mean the bamboo ate them. I thought it would be safe with RCS since bamboos have fans and not claws, but apparently I was wrong. Good thing I didn't add one to my RCS breeding tank, I had actually been thinking about adding a few...

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I mean, these guys are filter feeders... I know they're opportunitists but how can it eat every RCS in a matter of a couple of hours? There were a good number of them...

Also, I've noticed them picking at the gravel and sand in both tanks. Does it take time for them to find the filter outflow and start feeding from it? Any way I can supplement their diet? Besides RCS...

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Are you sure the bigger shrimp just didn't send them into hiding?? o.o

3. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I've even picked up the driftwood and there was nothing. I've searched for them in each plant. Nothing. Even when I originally introduced the RCS and the betta went on a snacking spree but he left enough to repopulate themselves then never bothered them since, I could still find the survivors.

Not this time.

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

It took mine a day or two to figure out the filter flow location. I also have branches that end where the flow comes out so they have a perch of sorts.

I find it hard to believe that the RCS couldn't get away. I'll bet they're hiding while they figure out who this guy is.

5. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I hope so. I enjoyed them in that tank. The driftwood doesn't have many nooks or crannies for them to hide in, not like the ones in my 40g. All of the plants in this tank are stem plants, the majority being Water Wisteria. I've found none on the leaves or between leaves.

I should've done the research on this one...

6. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, I would not have expected that either.

7. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You know, it's quite possible that with the introduction of the bamboo, your betta went on a snacking spree, like he had before. Although he had adjusted to having the RCS in his tank and learned to co-exist with them, once the bamboo entered the tank, it changed the whole dynamic.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Lynda makes a good point.

9. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You expected something less? :D

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

:p

I just wasn't thinking along the lines of tank dynamics, thats all LOL Clearly, none of were!

11. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, well, you know..... someone has to be the Grand Poobah..... might as well be me. :p

12. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

That is definitely possible. After all, he is still a betta...

I just don't see how 80 RCS can just disappear overnight. His belly doesn't look full and he just came to me begging for food. The gravel is white so I could pick the RCS out easily and I haven't seen a speck of red.

Ah, well. Poor RCS, they're the wimps of the aquatic world.

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I just HIGHLY doubt the bamboos could do it, they don't even have proper mouths for the job.

14. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Any chance the RCS abandoned ship and jumped out of the tank? I mean, bamboos do look like alien creatures from the dark lagoon..... Are you sure you don't have a single solitary hiding place for them in your tank? Something hollow perhaps?

15. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

LOL! No, the tank is pretty well covered.

I don't know. I'd have to take everything out of the tank and rescape it to actually see if there are any RCS left. Which is just as well, since the Water Wisteria have been blocking the light to some of the Ludwigia Repens and I need to rearrange them so everything gets light. The 40g definitely needs rearranging, it's a complete mess...

I don't have anything hollow in there. I do have a couple of small terra cotta pots that could serve as a safe place for them. Do you think it'd be safe to restock it with more RCS from my breeder tank after rearranging the tank?

As for the bamboo's mouths, I've read reports of them eating flakes or bloodworms when they happened to catch it in their fans, so I'm not sure I'd put them eating at least baby RCS past them.

16. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'd give it a couple of days and see if you don't witness RCS sightings in this tank.

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Me too :;ufo

18. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Before rearranging it?

19. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Yes........ the Grand Poobah has spoken...... so it shall be written, so it shall be done..... bwaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa :p

20. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Yes, Your Majesty!

I shall hold off for a couple of days.