Bamboo Shrimp- Dead? Help

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by jay3, Apr 15, 2018.

1. j

jay3 Valued Member Member

So I’ve had this bamboo shrimp for just under a year. My tank has remained the same, except we got a new light bulb yesterday. This one gives off a bit more of a purple glow, but is otherwise the same.

This morning, he was upside down with his fins in the air. He does not seem to be moving his fans. The water parameters are totally fine, no different than they’ve always been.
    He is not pink, still his normal colours, but isn’t moving. I moved him to a bowl because I thought he was dead, but I’m unsure.
    Help?
    Image1523835832.954048.jpg

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Hard to tell from a picture... Is he moving at all? How long has he looked dead? Unfortunately, it doesn't look good.

3. OP
    OP
    j

He’s not moving at all. He’s been like this for at least 5 hours

4. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I would presume he's dead then.... :( keep him in a cup and float him in the tank to keep the temperature warm just in case.

5. OP
    OP
    j

Thank you

6. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Well Known Member Member

The same thing happened to me this morning. He’s just laying there with his fins up. Yesterday he was fine, perched on driftwood eating away. I don’t know anything about shrimp disease. Is it possible he caught something? How long do bamboo shrimp live for?

I’m so sad. I’m sorry for your loss. This sucks.

7. Compatability

Compatability Valued Member Member

It does look dead, I thought maybe it was his skin because they molt but it would be clear and paer thin. I have 2 bamboo shrimp and a ghost shrimp. Brutus is my largest about 3 and a half inches long he has molted 5 times so far. Samson is not far behind him and has molted 4 times my ghost shrimp has molted about 3 times .
    Are you shutting off the light at night? Dies he have places to hide? I had yto get another log for Brutus so he could get in all the way. I sometimes shut the light off during the day, I don't know if any of this would kill him but just thouught I'd give some help . I also have a glo tank so the lights never get even warm. Have you had your water tested lately? Just trying to help. I'm so so sorry.
    2nd pic is Samson. I've had them now for about 7 months. I hope yours comes around , but I'd put him back in his familiar surroundings where its warm.Good luck and keep us posted.

Attached Files:

8. Jellibeen

I have one of those lights that mimics sunset and moonlight, so there is blue light at night although i often turn it off while i sleep. There’s a super great fake log to hide in. One of my shrimp hid frequently, the other did not. They both have molted a few times though i haven’t kept track. I test my water about once a week, it hasn’t had ammonia since i set up the tank months ago. Today i freaked out cos Cecil (the other shrimp) was perched in front of the filter, but wasn’t moving. As soon as i fed him he started filtering again, thank goodness. How old do bamboo shrimp get? I’ve had mine for six months but i have no idea how old they were when i got them.

9. Compatability

I really don't know how long they live, you said one of your shrimp was on the filter, actually they are getting food particles, I bought a tall decoration (all fake) I put it right under where the water shoots out of the filter and he loves to sit on the decoration the highest part and just loves the bubbles to fall on his face lol. I think he gets the particles of food from the filter or he's just strange and likes the bubbles . Haha have to show my newest bunch , I have a 5 gallon tank also and I put mickey mouse fish in there 3 females 1 male .you'll be able to see why they are called Mickey mouse fish. I just love watching them , I have 2 white ones, a silver blue, and , orange one.

Attached Files:

10. Jellibeen

I don't think a thread in which people are upset about their dead shrimp is the best place to show off your new fish.

11. Compatability

Well, if you were smart enough to read my posts before this I told that person how sorry I was about her shrimp, I even gave her some ideas on hopefully bringing him back I thought maybe that would cheer her or him up a little.
    I have to say this site SUCKS! I'm done posting and actually the info on here has been wrong for the most part. If there is a way to try to take this down , I will, this isn't the first time I've had someone take posts the wrong way. I've had enough of snotty people on here .Google at least gives TRUE information. I'm done.

12. Jellibeen

I’m sorry you took my post the wrong way. I did not intend it to be aggressive, just a thought on keeping the topic relevant especially when people are mourning lost critters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice