Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis spinipes) aka Singapore Flower Shrimp Any Experience with ?

R3licx
Hello there fish friends !

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with these guys. I recently ordered from from Aquaticarts.com and wanna see what other peoples experience with them have been. Let me know !

Pfrozen
Make sure your tank is well matured and I wouldn't use floss in your filter. They exclusively column feed. If you see them eating off the substrate then it means they're starving to death, just a heads up. The also appreciate areas of high flow where they can perch

R3licx
Pfrozen said:
Make sure your tank is well matured and I wouldn't use floss in your filter. They exclusively column feed. If you see them eating off the substrate then it means they're starving to death, just a heads up. The also appreciate areas of high flow where they can perch
I was concerned about the water column. How do you know where your flow is ? I did email them to see fi could change the order cause im not 100% sure i have what they need.

Pfrozen
R3licx said:
I was concerned about the water column. How do you know where your flow is ? I did email them to see fi could change the order cause im not 100% sure i have what they need.
Post pics I might be able to give some pointers :) what's your filtration like?

R3licx
Pfrozen said:
Post pics I might be able to give some pointers :) what's your filtration like?
This is my tank now, i have 2 sponge filters an just a powered filter without anything in it to keep the water flow.

Pfrozen
R3licx said:
This is my tank now, i have 2 sponge filters an just a powered filter without anything in it to keep the water flow.
Ah sorry to say but that tank would not be suitable for a bamboo shrimp :( I kept one in a very similar setup when I first started out and the poor thing ended up starving

R3licx
Pfrozen said:
Ah sorry to say but that tank would not be suitable for a bamboo shrimp :( I kept one in a very similar setup when I first started out and the poor thing ended up starving
Yeah i dont want them to starve, what would be a good change to allow him to come in ?

Pfrozen
R3licx said:
Yeah i dont want them to starve, what would be a good change to allow him to come in ?
You would need some live plants and a piece of driftwood for him to perch on sitting directly under the outflow of your power filter. The issue is more that your tank isn't mature though... it takes awhile for microorganisms to colonize and appear once a more natural ecosystem is established. You can feed powdered flakes or fry food while you wait but its not a guaranteed solution

R3licx
Pfrozen said:
You would need some live plants and a piece of driftwood for him to perch on sitting directly under the outflow of your power filter. The issue is more that your tank isn't mature though... it takes awhile for microorganisms to colonize and appear once a more natural ecosystem is established. You can feed powdered flakes or fry food while you wait but its not a guaranteed solution
Thank you for the info. I was able to change him out for some other shrimp. :) i was worried about spending 22 dollars an not being able to take care of him. :)

skar
R3licx said:
Thank you for the info. I was able to change him out for some other shrimp. :) i was worried about spending 22 dollars an not being able to take care of him. :)
FYI.. you should have a mature planted tank for almost any shrimp to thrive.
Most feed off biofilm and or algea.

Good luck.

Latest threads

Top Bottom