Bamboo Charcoal Shelter Safe For Shrimps

• Thread starter AmazonPassion
  • Start date

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Hello,

I am debating if I should purchase these Bamboo Charcoal Shelter and wrap java moss around it to make a safe shelter for my Red Cherry Shrimps. Are these safe in the aquarium? Has anyone used these before?

My only concern is from what I heard about Charcoal is that its good for awhile in the fish tank but after time it leaks out impurities...is this true?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Do you have a photo or a link to the product?

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP

That's bamboo charcoal. The shelter is just a tube of bamboo charcoal.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
What a strange item. I've never heard of that or seen it before.

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Its water safe from my knowledge, it provides a great place for the shrimps to hide. However, if you use it with fish make sure its not too small so that the fish can wedge itself in there

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
or should I get this one, wrap with java moss to make a shrimp shelter?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
If it was me, I'd just grab some rocks from outdoors and make my own......

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
I found another option without breaking the bank as I was researching last night. PVC pipes from home depot and glue them together into a pyramid like the picture ;-)

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
bingo!

just be sure to file down the edges so that they are not sharp, which they will be after you cut the pipe to fit.

greenbeanette

The moss alone makes a good shelter too btw

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
I was going to tie down the moss around the pvc to make it look natural.

greenbeanette

Sounds good. I'm not sure moss will attach to pvc, but it should certainly envelop it in time.

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
I read in order for the moss to attach is that you file the entire pipe with sand paper so it will create little groves for the moss to attach

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Right, to make a rough surface. What I'm talking about is sanding down the edges at the ends of the pipes. I should've been more specific. If you have something crawling inside the pipe, you don't want it to get cut up going in and out.

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
just make pinholes in the PVC and use a small needle to thread moss into it, should work. Filing would work too(as I realize not everyone has a drill like that XD)

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
100_0050.jpg100_0051.jpg

Here is a picture of my own Shrimp Condo, instead of purchasing on ebay I made my own.

I ended up sanding the entrance/exits, the sides, and accidentally my fingers as well. I wanted to sand all sides/surfaces to give some rough surface for the Moss to attach. I also sanded the entrances/exits so it wouldn't hurt my precious shrimps/khulis. What do you think?

They are being housed in a separate container and being fertilized (not sure if you can fertilize moss) for about 2-4 weeks so they can attached themselves to the tubes and have a head start in growing. I have enough pieces to make 20 shrimp condos or make some shrimp mansions. Thought about selling some if I have any interest from people.

Top Bottom