Bambi Needs Help!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are two identical white spots on Bambi's gills. One is on each side. Does she have cotton mouth disease or is it something else? I first saw them this AM when I got up at about 7:00. When I came home from bible study the white spots were still there.

What do I do for her? She is in the ten gallon with 4 otos. Benji is already in the Q tank being treated for fin rot so I can't put her in there--unless I divide the five gallon in half. I was going to change the water to remove the Fungus eliminator and begin treating Benji with Furon 2. Could I medicate them together if the tank was divided? ???

CherryRose

Here is a picture of Bambi with the white spot showing. In the picture it looks like she has another white spot further down on her body, but no matter how closely I inspect her in her tank I can only find the spots by her gills.

CherryRose ???

Benji is now being medicated with Furon 2 in the Q tank. I did a 90 percent water change first. I also divided the Q tank so I can put Bambi in it to medicate her and Benji together if I am so advised.

Right now Bambi is in clean, warm water in the 10 gallon after an 80 percent water change. The temp is 82. All water paramaters are at 0 except nitrate which I haven't tested for yet.

The picture is not nearly as clear after I posted it as it is in my picture library at home. You will have to look very closely just before the little fin at the base of her gill, in order to see the spot, and it is very faint in the picture. It is quite noticeable when viewed in person however.

Maybe I am worrying too much. I have also been wondering if the fact that she has an identical spot on both sides of her gills might mean that it is just part of her coloring which has not yet fully come in. What do you think? ???

CherryRose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would just keep a close eye on it and if you see that it isn't getting any better and it's getting worse maybe getting some fungal medication because it could be fungal. Natalie

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's probably nothing. Keep an eye on her and see if more spots develop. See if her behaviour changes and she gets more listless. Females do tend to changes colors so it might be her coloring. If the spots are raised or she gets more I would treat with Coppersafe AND Maracyn 2 as it could be ich or some sort of parasite.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks everyone. I am continuing to keep a close eye on her. Bambi is very active and swims so fast that it took a long time for me to get that picture of her. She also loves feeding time. The spots are the same size as when I first discovered them, but I still don't like the looks of them. Also, they do seem to be a little raised, kind of like a very tiny cotton ball.

I think I am going to start her on meds. I don't see how it could be ick as her water has always been 80 to 82 degrees. The only spots she has are on each side at the bottom of her gills, just in front of her little fins. I am still concerned that it is some type of fungus. I don't have any Coppersafe or Maracyn of any kind. I have the Furon 2, which I am treating Benji with, as well as Fungus Eliminator, Triple Sulfa, and T.C. capsules.

I am still wondering if I can put her in the divided 5 gallon with Benji on the other side. If not, can I treat her in the 10 gallon with the 4 otos in it, or would I have to remove the otos ? :-\

CherryRose

I decided not to put Bambi on meds. I closely examined my other Bettas and found that they all have a lighter spot in the same place. Bambi's spot is just more noticeable. She is still very active and is eating like a little pig. I will continue to observe her for any changes.

CherryRose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
that's good news. With so many sick bettas, I think we are all on edge.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was wrong about Bambi being okay. Bambi has ich.  I caught her and looked closely at her while she was in my hand, and she has another white spot up above her eye, and one on her body.  I am cranking the heat up to 86 in her tank for now.  I had to put a new heater in, as her tank temp had dropped to 76 degrees and I discovered the heater was not working.  I am also researching to find an answer to my otos and medication question.  I am very tempted to put Bambi in the divided tank that Benji is in and medicate them together.

CherryRose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that the spots are just a part of her. Natalie

Yeah just crank it slowly to 85 a drgree an hour and she should be fine. You shouldn't have to medicate her. The heat will get rid of it by itself. You just need to keep it at that temp for 14 days, regardless whether the spots are gone or not. Natalie

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, at least Ich is easy to treat, good luck!!!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Watch the size of them and their width (raised area) and keep us informed.  Please do not use Coppersafe in any tank you have Otos or any other scaleless fish in.  They can be burned by it.  The Furan will be okay for most things and can be used with anti-parasitic meds like the Fungus Eliminator or better yet a Formalin based product called Quick Cure.  

Furan-2 is safe for Otos as is Quick Cure.

Keep us informed.  Take care.  

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you Rose and nmwierman. Bambi's tank is now at 82 degrees and I am still slowly raising it. The reason it got so low is that when I changed the water I knocked the termometer off the side and it was floating where I could not see it. I had turned the heater up a very small amount and assumed it was warming up. I accidentally left the heater in when I was doing the water change, so that is probably why it stopped working. It seems like I am prone to accidents that harm fish.

I didn't think I had any quick cure, but decided to look into the bag of accessories that my d-in-l gave me with the guppies in it. Low and behold I do have quick cure. I am now adding that with the Furon. I am glad it is only ich and not something more serious. I will get the heater up to 85 and keep it there for two weeks as was advised.

Thank you again.

CherryRose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom