Ballooned algae eater

GameVet

Hello, today I noticed that my golden Chineese algae eater is a bit bloated. Internet suggests this may be normal? Can anyone tell me exactly what’s up with it and what I may need to do for it? Please excuse my tacky substrate.
Also, I have recently tried feeding them and my common pleco squash and sweet potato. Could he be bloated from overeating or allergic reaction?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 18

AcornTheBetta

Hello, today I noticed that my golden Chineese algae eater is a bit bloated. Internet suggests this may be normal? Can anyone tell me exactly what’s up with it and what I may need to do for it? Please excuse my tacky substrate.
Also, I have recently tried feeding them and my common pleco squash and sweet potato. Could he be bloated from overeating or allergic reaction?
Hi! To get more information on your situation, please fill out the emergency template. On a side note, CAEs tend to suck the slime coats of other fish as adults so you may want to watch out for that.
See post 2 from candiedradon:
My Cae Is Bloated | Chinese Algae Eater Forum | 369497

From the info that is given, I'm going to guess it is #1, but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

GameVet

Thank you. You are probably right. I usually let the two CAEs and the two plecos share a cucumber once in a while. This time, I was out of cucumbers and tried a sweet potato. They didn’t seem interested so I put a squash in as well. The next evening I found everything was eaten and this guy looking inflated. My only concern was that the other fish seemed fine. Perhaps they have self control.

Upvote 0

GameVet

Hello, I posted this question a little bit ago and decided that the fish had overeaten. But he is still huge and now looks like a walrus a bit. No other fish in the aquarium, to include another cae, are having issues. Can anyone tell me what they think is going on?
Photos:

Attachments

• 6C661CEC-D2C3-4AE2-AD8C-0FA6D120E49F.jpeg
    6C661CEC-D2C3-4AE2-AD8C-0FA6D120E49F.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 2AD41EE2-217C-4BAB-927D-EA1287493D29.jpeg
    2AD41EE2-217C-4BAB-927D-EA1287493D29.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

bcsay720

Though I know him being bloated is a big problem, he looks so cute as a little walrus.

Anyway, did you fast him after you decided he was overeating? How long did you fast him?

Upvote 0

GameVet

I fasted him sort of but obviously it wasn’t working. Since I posted originally I quarantined him and fed him only peas. He seems better now.

Attachments

• 5680B844-64CB-4D89-B914-C7CAE13B8CE5.jpeg
    5680B844-64CB-4D89-B914-C7CAE13B8CE5.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0

bcsay720

Yes, he looks much better. I'm glad that method worked.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views