Balloon Ram

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I bought two balloon rams two days ago and they haven't come out since I got them. They ate the first day but have not come from the back/corner of my tank. Is this normal?

PersephonesChild

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine took about a week to settle in, now they eat like pigs. They do however stay in and defend their little territories much of the time.

A few considerations:

Remember, they like to claim territories with nice hiding spots, and if all the good spots are in back, they will spend more time there. Try putting a cave near the front where you can see in, chances are good at least one will relocate.

Do you have any other peacedul fish to help draw them out? Mine often watch to see if the cardinal tetras get eaten before comming to the buffet at dinner. Do you have "excitable" fish or agressive eaters in the tank that could stress them? Rams bicker amongst themselves, but are pretty non violent otherwise. Tankmates can affect them, for better or worse.

I know there are others with a lot more ram experience than I have, but hopefully take hope in the knowledge that mine did the exact same thing at first, and they got much more confident after adjusting a bit.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
30 long with 2 neons (need to up school just cant find healthy stock on island) and 4 cores (same as neons). They came out yesterday after i got some of the flake food to float down and they explored more. the tank is pretty heavily planted so i can understand that they won't come out because they can hide in the whole tank pretty much.

PersephonesChild

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can get your hands on cardinal tetras instead of neon, they are more temperature compatible and come from the same river system. A good tetra school may help calm your rams, as they will see if preditors come out for the tiny fish before emerging.

PersephonesChild

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Damien808 said:
would neons school with cardinals or would it be different
Yes, the neons will hang with the cardinals. I had a few neons that got moved into my Orionoco tank with cardinal tetras, rams and pepper corys, and they joined right up with the cardinal shoal as if they belonged there.

Charchar2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Damien808 said:
would neons school with cardinals or would it be different
They may hang out together, but they're different species that both need a full school (6+) of their own species to be comfortable. I'd recommend returning the neons and then getting a full school of cardinals, if you can!

PersephonesChild

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Damien808 said:
do you think that they'll eat my cory sinking pellets(omega one shrimp pellets) and their own or will they not notice?
Mine don't touch my cory wafers, but sufficiently small pellets might work. I'd still invest in some frozen foods like bloodworms for a few feedings a week. Your corys will thank you too, they slurp the worms like spaghetti.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What kind of corys do you have? I agree that neons are not temp compatible with blue rams. What temp do you keep your tank at? They may also just be getting used to the tank.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
el337 said:
What kind of corys do you have? I agree that neons are not temp compatible with blue rams. What temp do you keep your tank at? They may also just be getting used to the tank.
They are emerald catfish.
Well the house has been running warm due to weird weather here in hawaii but it will be cooling down soon the rain is coming back. The tank has been at a stable 78-80.

PersephonesChild

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do the petshops even sell heaters in Hawaii? Lol.

Rams should be ok in those temps, though I think to breed it needs to be a touch warmer (that is, if you plan to breed anyway).

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
PersephonesChild said:
Do the petshops even sell heaters in Hawaii? Lol.

Rams should be ok in those temps, though I think to breed it needs to be a touch warmer (that is, if you plan to breed anyway).
lol yeah i have a heater and have never had to use it. dont plan on breeding and if they do ill let it run its course if other fish eat them or they successfully raise fry then ill move them. the petshops here overprice a lot of things in my opinion compared to what i here/see on fishlore. thanks for the help.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Lol this is the only way I can actually see them explore. I have to stalk them from behind the corner to see them comeout

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not even my Corys have gotten used to me and I've had them for a while guess I'm scary lookin to then lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom