Balloon Ram purposefully scraping itself??

1. dSan223 Initiate Member

Occasionally I catch my electric blue balloon ram purposefully scraping its sides against objects in the tank (the coarse sand, driftwood, rocks etc. ) I dont know why its doing this but I'm afraid its going to rub itself raw!

Any advice about why its doing this?

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Update:
    I've updated my tank info but I'll include it here for convenience.
    10 gal tank
    Current tank contents:
    -2 kuhli loaches
    -4 neon tetras
    -1 dwarf gourami
    -1 electric blue balloon ram (the one in question!)
    -1 otto
    -1 farlowella
    -2 snails
    -1 japonica shrimp
    ammonia - maintained below .25 PPM
    pH - climbed to 7.6 over the long weekend due to neglect (just added a dose of adjuster to bring back towards to the usual 7.2)

Upon returning to my room today, I've noticed that the ram in question has started to rub some scales off its left side. Also its left eye is cloudy.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!!!

If you could finish filling out your aquarium information, we might be able to suggest somethings based on your info. Scraping can be anything from ich, fish lice, gill flukes, to ammonia issues. I hope he/she doesnt rub raw!!!

3. dSan223 Initiate Member

I've updated my tank info but I'll include it here for convenience.
    10 gal tank
    Current tank contents:
    -2 kuhli loaches
    -4 neon tetras
    -1 dwarf gourami
    -1 electric blue balloon ram (the one in question!)
    -1 otto
    -1 farlowella
    -2 snails
    -1 japonica shrimp
    Ammonia - maintained below .25 ppm
    pH - climbed to 7.6 over the long weekend due to neglect (just added a dose of adjuster to bring back towards to the usual 7.2)

Upon returning to my room today, I've noticed that the ram in question has started to rub some scales off its left side. Also its left eye is cloudy.