Balloon Molly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sheryl, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Sheryl

SherylValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have 4 Balloon Mollies (3 female, 1 male...siblings) who were born in my granddaughter's tank. They have since moved to another state so we moved her tank to my house. I now have them in one of my 20 gallon community tanks. Have never seen fry even when in her tank. I know they could very well have been born and eaten quickly. Always had lots of floating Anacharis in both tanks just in case. Very little floating now although the tank they are in is planted. I really don't need more fish as all my tanks are stocked but if I see fry, they are going into protective basket and I'll decide what to do with them later. LOL. My question is...one of them looks squared off. All but male are FAT of course! LOL Does this mean she will give birth soon? I don't want to stress her by putting her in basket too soon. These are not beautiful, colorful fish but are very friendly fish and I have an emotional attachment to them because of their history. Any help?

2. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,227
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    With balloon mollies it's always hard to tell wether a female is pregnant or not. EVen if a female balloon molly looks a bit squared off, it's uncertain if she's pregnant. For it's a modified molly and sometimes a belly may look diffferent from a regular balloon molly.

3. OP
    OP
    Sheryl

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    1 year
  4. OP
    OP
    Sheryl

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks for replying. She is the only one of the 3 females that look like this and they all looked the same before. That's why I was wondering. Their mother was a pretty yellow color, but these girls are just a tad peachy color that fades to cream as it goes down . Their fins ans tails are black with a gorgeous pattern but doesn't really show up much unless you are focussed in on them. The mom gave birth the very next day after putting her in the tank. My granddaughter came home from school to them hiding in the floating Anacharis. Unfortunately, she got wedged between the basket and tank glass a few weeks later and my granddaughter woke up one morning to this. She was already deceased. These babies are over a year old, and have survived have their whole aquarium home moved to my home and then moved to my community tank to avoid the Angelfish (that my granddaughter just HAD to have), who was picking on them unmercifully. Mr. Angelfish, who my husband has named Butthead, had previously nipped the male's complete tail fin off. It grew back and he is fine but happy to not be in the tank with that agressive "Butthead"! LOL If we save any offspring I might just set up another tank just for the Balloon Belly Mollies so my granddaughter can see all of her babies and their babies happy together. LOL

5. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,227
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Looking at the shape in this picture, she does look pregnant.

6. OP
    OP
    Sheryl

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    1 year
    I thought so, too. And different than the other two females. I put her in a baby basket with lots of Anacharis last night. This morning she looks the same. How long should I let her stay? I don't want to stress her too much. I'd like to have babies but if I had to choose between, I'd choose her. She seems okay and happy to eat (as usual...lol) this morning, I just don't know how long to leave her in there.