10 Gallon Tank Balloon Molly Pregnant or Bloated?

PandaCory101

Hello All!
I am new to fish keeping and I can’t tell if my balloon Molly is pregnant or bloated. I have 2 tanks, one of which is a 10 gallon and one is a 3 gallon. I separated her because she was stressed and I noticed her stomach getting larger than my other balloon Molly’s. I have a 10 gallon with 3 balloon Molly’s (2 females, 1 male), 4 zebra danios, and 3 panda corys. Oh and 2 mystery snails. I will attach pics of my female. She is a lot calmer and less aggressive in my 3 gallon. She has on/off eating and swims in one spot for about 15 minutes. She can seem tired and then 10 minutes later have a large burst of energy. TIA!

Fishfriendof315

Dropsy, maybe ate something can't pass. But definitely don't look preg

PandaCory101

Fishfriendof315 said:
Dropsy, maybe ate something can't pass. But definitely don't look preg
Do you have any suggestions that aren’t frozen peas? I tried those and she didn’t eat them.

bettalover101

did you say she was with males i n the 10 gallon.

PandaCory101

bettalover101 said:
did you say she was with males i n the 10 gallon.
Yes, she was in a 10 gallon with 1 regular male Molly and one male balloon Molly

bettalover101

did you notice any chasing behavior from the males when she was in there.

PandaCory101

bettalover101 said:
did you notice any chasing behavior from the males when she was in there.
Yes, all the time. That was about a 2 weeks ago. Sadly he died a few days ago.

bettalover101

ok how long has she been this big?

Cryoraptor

It's hard to say if she's pregnant or not without a side pic.

PandaCory101

Cryoraptor said:
It's hard to say if she's pregnant or not without a side pic.
Hope this helps
bettalover101 said:
ok how long has she been this big?
About a week

Cryoraptor

PandaCory101 said:
Hope this helps

About a week
Ok I'm gonna say bloated. Did you just wake up one day and she was suddenly this big or was it more gradual?

PandaCory101

I will also take a pic of our other female balloon Molly as reference

bettalover101

is she staying in one spot and is she eating more. and is she hiding more.

PandaCory101

Cryoraptor said:
Ok I'm gonna say bloated. Did you just wake up one day and she was suddenly this big or was it more gradual?
Very gradual

Cryoraptor

It's perfectly reasonable to conclude that she might be heavily pregnant, but my main concern is that she seems to be inflated in the frontal abdomen and not so much towards the back. Pregnancy causes everything to expand with an epicentre in the central-rear abdomen. She also doesn't seem to have any kind of large gravid spot that would suggest she's pregnant, but I am aware that some strains don't have an obvious one.

bettalover101 said:
This.
PandaCory101 said:
Very gradual
Ok. So has she been slowly getting bigger since you first got her and it only became so large for you to be concerned in the last week, or did you notice the expansion in the first week?

PandaCory101

Cryoraptor said:
It's perfectly reasonable to conclude that she might be heavily pregnant, but my main concern is that she seems to be inflated in the frontal abdomen and not so much towards the back. Pregnancy causes everything to expand with an epicentre in the central-rear abdomen. She also doesn't seem to have any kind of large gravid spot that would suggest she's pregnant, but I am aware that some strains don't have an obvious one.

This.

Ok. So has she been slowly getting bigger since you first got her and it only became so large for you to be concerned in the last week, or did you notice the expansion in the first week?
I notice it at about the second half of the first week.
bettalover101 said:
Definitely. She likes to hide behind heater and filter as well as plants

Cryoraptor

PandaCory101 said:
I notice it at about the second half of the first week.

Definitely. She likes to hide behind heater and filter as well as plants
Any fin clamping (holding fins inwards towards the body) or rubbing on surfaces?

PandaCory101

Cryoraptor said:
Any fin clamping (holding fins inwards towards the body) or rubbing on surfaces?
She likes to run along the side of the tank and hold the 2 fins on her belly in and only let them go if she is swimming up for air.

VioletKeepsFish

It's perfectly reasonable to conclude that she might be heavily pregnant, but my main concern is that she seems to be inflated in the frontal abdomen and not so much towards the back. Pregnancy causes everything to expand with an epicentre in the central-rear abdomen.
Definitely agree with that, I'm leaning that she's Bloated rather than pregnant since it's more in the location of the central-front abdomen.
As well, pregnant mollies tend to look more boxy, and your molly's abdomen seems more round than boxy.

Cryoraptor

PandaCory101 said:
She likes to run along the side of the tank and hold the 2 fins on her belly in and only let them go if she is swimming up for air.
What about the anal and dorsal fins? Does she hold them inwards at all?

This probably should have been asked of you much earlier, but what are your water parameters?

bettalover101

ok than that shows signs of pregnancy just watch and see cause a molly is pregnant for 60 days which is 2 months so just watch for fry in that period of time. hope this helps.

Cryoraptor

bettalover101 said:
cause a molly is pregnant for 60 days which is 2 months
Well, 60 days is quite a long time. It's usually closer to 1 month. But I've had swordtails that have taken up to 3 months to give birth from conception so I suppose it's not that uncommon in the larger livebearers.

PandaCory101

VioletKeepsFish said:
Definitely agree with that, I'm leaning that she's Bloated rather than pregnant since it's more in the location of the central-front abdomen.
As well, pregnant mollies tend to look more boxy, and your molly's abdomen seems more round than boxy.
Thank you, this was all very helpful.

TheFishBoss

PandaCory101 said:
Hello All!
I am new to fish keeping and I can’t tell if my balloon Molly is pregnant or bloated. I have 2 tanks, one of which is a 10 gallon and one is a 3 gallon. I separated her because she was stressed and I noticed her stomach getting larger than my other balloon Molly’s. I have a 10 gallon with 3 balloon Molly’s (2 females, 1 male), 4 zebra danios, and 3 panda corys. Oh and 2 mystery snails. I will attach pics of my female. She is a lot calmer and less aggressive in my 3 gallon. She has on/off eating and swims in one spot for about 15 minutes. She can seem tired and then 10 minutes later have a large burst of energy. TIA!
Pregnant over fed or dropsy

emeraldking

Well, she could be overfed (in a group of fish, there are always one or more that will eat more than the others), pregnant or even an issue with the swim bladder. Having an issue with the swim bladder doesn't always cause swim problems. For that depends when the swim bladder grows how it will exceed. If it's dropsy, the scales should have an open position as in a pine cone. If it's not, you can rule dropsy out.
The problem with balloon mollies, balloon platies and balloon guppies is that it's hard to tell wether they're pregnant or not. Balloon versions won't all square off because of the cropped bodyshape. So, let a non squared off bodyshape not be a specific reference in this case to tell wether she's pregnant or not.

Cryoraptor

emeraldking said:
If it's dropsy, the scales should have an open position as in a pine cone. If it's not, you can rule dropsy out.
This. Very true.

emeraldking said:
balloon platies and balloon guppies
Wait, those are things? Why do people make this kind of stuff?

emeraldking

Cryoraptor said:
Wait, those are things? Why do people make this kind of stuff?
Yes, also balloon platies and balloon guppies do already exsist. I myself dislike them. And the bodyshape is not even healthy for a fish. The intestines are cropped in such bodies.
Well, the japanese came with these varieties. Unfortunately, there's a market for such fish.

Cryoraptor

emeraldking said:
Yes, also balloon platies and balloon guppies do already exsist. I myself dislike them. And the bodyshape is not even healthy for a fish. The intestines are cropped in such bodies.
Well, the japanese came with these varieties. Unfortunately, there's a market for such fish.
I will never understand why people like deformed, balloon varieties of fish. They can't swim properly, they are more inbred, they die early, the list goes on. I don't understand what the appeal of a goldfish with a massive tumour on its head and a water balloon for a body is. I just want to put the poor things out of their misery whenever I see them.

PandaCory101

PandaCory101 said:
Hello All!
Hello Again! So my fish was pregnant in the end. The fry were birthed yesterday and are all doing great. I have put them in a separate tank and they are all happy. She had a total of 24 babies. Sadly 8 of them died, but I read that this is not uncommon. I will be posting later about my Zebra Danios. Thank you for your help!

Cryoraptor

PandaCory101 said:
Hello Again! So my fish was pregnant in the end. The fry were birthed yesterday and are all doing great. I have put them in a separate tank and they are all happy. She had a total of 24 babies. Sadly 8 of them died, but I read that this is not uncommon. I will be posting later about my Zebra Danios. Thank you for your help!
That's great news, good luck with your baby mollies

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom