Balloon Molly In A 15 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Rack, Jul 20, 2017.

1. RackValued MemberMember

20x13x14

There's 1 honey gourami in this tank, would a single balloon molly be fine or it is too small?

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

It's a ten gallon, I believe. I would never buy a balloon because they have intentionally had a genetic disease of the spine bred into them, to make them smaller and less mobile. It means that while a healthy molly wouldn't fit in that tank, a balloon would. I'm pretty sure that's for the wrong reasons though - the practice of breeding spinal deformities would bother me every time I looked at the tank.
    Most people don't know that's how balloon shapes were created, but when they find out, they are often unhappy.

3. OP
    OP
    R

RackValued MemberMember

No it's a non standard 15 gallon. I calculated the volume, it said 15.8 US gallon. Does the fish suffer from this deformity? If not I don't see the problem.

4. NavigatorBlack

It is a form of Scoliosis - balloons have much shorter lifespans than healthy mollies, and often die of digestive problems. The curvature of the spine compresses the intestines. Often, death comes as a result of pregnancy for females, as I imagine that increases the pressure on the guts.

We have a lot of breeder deformities in the hobby - look at goldfish where a lot of young die from an inability to swim upright due to body shapes humans like. Whether the individual suffers or not probably depends on the degree of the deformity - just how "balloon" they are.

From a fishfarm/store standpoint, they are made for smaller tanks - that is one of the goals in reducing their size and growth potential. A healthy molly would be very cramped, but a balloon is born with cramps to begin with.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Not enough space for the balloon molly. Same with your honey gourami (they need a longer tank).

6. NavigatorBlack

Why?

If it is the real Trichogaster chuna honey gourami, not the recent hybrid that is sometimes sold under that name, it maxes at a few cm and has plenty of room in a 15! I had a colony breeding in a well planted 15 for 2 generations - adults and young doing just fine, with enough growing up in there that I was able to keep it going for a couple of years. I moved them to a taller, but same footprint 20, and they were fine there too.

The confusion might come from commercial hybrids, which are larger and more aggressive than honey gouramis. I notice that if you google the bigger thick lipped gourami, labiosa, you get some pictures of the hybrid often sold as a honey. I suspect there was a petrie dish cross between chuna (the honey) and labiosa (the almost twice as large, much rougher thick lip) and that's where the misinformation about tank size comes from.

Now, the OP has to figure out which fish he/she has...

7. OP
    OP
    R

RackValued MemberMember

How many honey gouramis did you had in your 15 gallon colony?
    Pretty sure it's the real honey, here's a picture if you can confirm it:

8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I think it's too small for mollies. And as mentioned, I wouldn't keep balloons anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice