Balloon Molly Help

1. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

Ive been noticing our balloon molly has lost a lot of color since we got him 2 and a half months ago. Will attach a picture of how he looked when we got him and now he’s just plain black. Barely any white on him. Is this a bad sign or does the color just fade when they get older?

Picture is from March 26th.
    His top fin where it’s white everywhere is just all black now. Same as his tail. Only white he really shows is his belly.

Attached Files:

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Sometimes when there is too much ammonia the fish will get black marks. Highly doubt this is the case, probably not the case. Just in case do a water change.

3. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

In the picture, it looks like he has a lot of new fin growth on his top and back fins. You see how ther are clearish in the picture? My guess is the color is nit returning to the new growth, thats all

4. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Fish change colors all of the time. What's your water parameters?

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

You really see this in bettas. A lot of times, the breeders want to sell their fish asap and wind up with juviniles that haven't developed all their color yet.

6. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

He’s been through cycling a tank twice. Just recently moved him over to a 20 gal. Right now it’s .25, 0, 5
    Thought we were cycled as we were reading 0,0,5 but now ammonia is up a bit. But his color has been that way for about a month or so.

That could be!

7. Sarah73

you just answered your own question. when ammonia is up, it can make the colors change. Next to look for is red gills. Did you use prime when you used the balloon molly in the cycling tanks?

8. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

I’ve been using prime for months every day when there is ammonia present. They show no sign of ammonia poisoning besides his color fading.

9. Sarah73

what are you doing to get rid of the ammonia? water changed? or just naturally letting the ammonia go away?

10. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Water changes when it goes above 1 because we have 1ppm of ammonia in the tap. So have been using stability and prime if under 1. But like I said he’s been showing discoloration way before this tank.

11. Sarah73

He is likely just growing older. So, yeah it's just normal. is he ever stressed? that's the other reason they change color.

12. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Only time I’ve seen him stressed is when we first got him. He’d hang out by the heater. Then when we upgraded tanks he hid around the top for a few days but now he’s normal. But he is constantly trying to mate. I mean constantly. Is that normal? We already have about 20 fry and had about 13 the last round and I think both females are pregnant again from him. Is that a sign of stress?

13. Sarah73

Males are always trying to mate. That's not a sign of stress. It's very normal. He is just being a guy. just make sure the females have plenty of hiding spots.

14. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Ok that’s good to know. He’s always trying even though they are already pregnant again. Sigh lol. They don’t seem to run from him when he tries.