Balloon Molly Has Blisters On His Head!

buddhasgroove

Hello!

I have a balloon molly (approx 6 months) He has developed what I can only describe as water blisters on his head. He had one a few month ago and I sought online info to treat him. (meds/salt) This quickly got rid of his issues but now they are back FULL force. Almost overnight and they have multiplied. I have moved him to a 20 gal tank all by his lonesome since as I am worried about my other mollies. Can anyone give me some advice on helping my fish? Is he suffering, seems to be swimming ok but this looks pretty bad to me.

This is my first time posting though I have learned so much from Fishlore. I really hope someone can help me as I am just at a lost what I should do. THANK YOU

BHK3

Can you post a picture of the blister? Can you share your water parameters please (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) for the original tank and the tank he's currently in? Water issues can present as a variety of afflictions on fish.

buddhasgroove

Sure! Here is the photo...I thought I attached but this is my first time so whoooo knows where it went!
IMG_0598.jpeg

BHK3

Can you share your water parameters please (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) for the original tank and the tank he's currently in?

buddhasgroove

Oh boy I am sorry holy cow that was a large photo...
Water Parameters:
Old tank (55 gal)
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 8ppm
Nitrites 0ppm

Current tank...
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 5ppm
Nitrites 1.5 ppm . (Is this due to medications....I need to lower?)

I hope this info helps and REALLY thanks for the help!

I should've said this in my original post...The bubbles on his head were clear first. Then they started taking on the color of the body.

buddhasgroove

Can you share your water parameters please (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) for the original tank and the tank he's currently in?
Since my last message it has deflated...this is what happened last time and he seemed healed.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpeg
    IMG_0609.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 84

buddhasgroove

Why did you even ask me for info then just leave. I guess to point out that I didn't give the info needed. I will have to find another source for help.

BHK3

Why did you even ask me for info then just leave. I guess to point out that I didn't give the info needed. I will have to find another source for help.

For some reason I didn't get an email saying that you posted, and I've been in the hospital most of the last two weeks and haven't been on here much. I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. Is the fish continuing to do well?

This is weird and I've never seen anything like this. My gut says that it's something particular to this fish and not something contagious, but definitely don't quote me on that. It's possible that last time the blisters actually popped and healed on their own and all the salt & meds did were to prevent secondary infections in an open wound, which is definitely very important. What meds did you use last time? I would definitely make sure the water quality is absolutely pristine to help prevent any infections or fungus from setting in.

In the quarantine tank he's in, do you have a filter with cycled media on it? If not, that could be the source of the nitrites and it'll be even more important to do regular water changes with treated water (using something like Seachem Prime).

It sounds like he's eating and acting pretty normally based on your original. Quality of life is really important so I wouldn't worry too much as long as he's otherwise acting healthy.

I'm hoping other will jump in with some advice here. TexasDomer have you ever seen anything like this? Thoughts on QT vs putting the fish back in themain tank? Do you think something like this is contagious?

TexasDomer

I've never seen anything like this. For now, I would keep up with large and frequent water changes until your nitrites go back down to zero.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• taf2778
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
Prana_58
Replies
Views
Coradee