Question Balloon Molly had fry

CanadianMolly

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Checked my tank this morning and there was a fry swimming around. So far have seen only one fry. Guess she was already pregnant when I got her. I'm still fairly new to this, so what do I do now? Should I just leave the fry in the main tank and let nature take its course, or should I put them in a separate tank? Thanks in advance.

kcarmartinez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That is a personal choice... Do you want more fish? Will you have a home for them? Can you stand the idea that if you leave them in there they may get eaten?
I personally only save fry if I have a need for them. Stresses me and the fish out to make sure they are safe. If you want nature to take it's course but would like to have a better chance for survival I would suggest Java Moss/floating plants and places for the babies to hide.

CanadianMolly

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I decide to keep the fry in a separate tank, what is the best type of filter for a fry tank. Right now in the main tank I have a power filter, but I've read that with that type of filter the tiny fry will get sucked up into the filter.

CanadianMolly

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well she had a couple more fry today. One didn't make it. Went out and bought a small tank for the fry. They are so cute.

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
congrats on your fry for your filter question personally we put unused pantyhose on the bottom so the fry wouldnt get sucked up. good luck to you

CanadianMolly

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long does it normally take for the female to give birth to all her fry? This is going on the second day. I noticed the first one yesterday and just now found she had given birth to another one.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom