Balloon Molly had fry Question

Discussion in 'Molly' started by CanadianMolly, Mar 30, 2010.

1. C

CanadianMolly New Member Member

Checked my tank this morning and there was a fry swimming around. So far have seen only one fry. Guess she was already pregnant when I got her. I'm still fairly new to this, so what do I do now? Should I just leave the fry in the main tank and let nature take its course, or should I put them in a separate tank? Thanks in advance.

2. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

That is a personal choice... Do you want more fish? Will you have a home for them? Can you stand the idea that if you leave them in there they may get eaten?
    I personally only save fry if I have a need for them. Stresses me and the fish out to make sure they are safe. If you want nature to take it's course but would like to have a better chance for survival I would suggest Java Moss/floating plants and places for the babies to hide.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks for the advice.

4. OP
    OP
    C

If I decide to keep the fry in a separate tank, what is the best type of filter for a fry tank. Right now in the main tank I have a power filter, but I've read that with that type of filter the tiny fry will get sucked up into the filter.

5. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

You could do an internal sponge filter, or put a sponge over the intake tube of a power filter. I think some people have mentioned puting unused pantyhose over the intake.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks

7. OP
    OP
    C

Well she had a couple more fry today. One didn't make it. Went out and bought a small tank for the fry. They are so cute.

8. red020804

red020804 Valued Member Member

congrats on your fry :) for your filter question personally we put unused pantyhose on the bottom so the fry wouldnt get sucked up. good luck to you

9. OP
    OP
    C

How long does it normally take for the female to give birth to all her fry? This is going on the second day. I noticed the first one yesterday and just now found she had given birth to another one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice