Balloon Molly Had Babies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rmperron, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Rmperron

Rmperron New Member Member

Hi all,

I bought 3 balloon Molly about a week and a half ago for my 10 gallon tank. 2 days ago one of the Molly gave birth, another looks and is behaving similarly to the one who just gave birth so I think she might be pregnant too.

Obviously we can't keep that many fish in a 10 gallon tank. There's around 20-23 fry ( they move too fast to count accurately). We are purchasing a 55 gallon setup on Sunday (that's when the seller can meet). I plan to use some of the gravel and one or 2 decorations and some of the water from the 10 gallon to seed the 55 gallon but I know it will still take a while for the tank to cycle. In the mean time I've been doing 20-30% water changes twice a day. That's been keeping the ammonia around .25, the nitrites at 0 and the nitrates between 10&20 but I know that won't be good for them in the long run. All of the fish seem to be doing really well for now though.

Is there anything else I should be doing now?

Are there any other ways I can speed up the process of getting the 55 gallon tank ready?

Also, I have some concerns in the long run. I've read that these fish could give birth a few more times in the next few months even with no males in the tank. I don't think the 55 will be big enough for that many fish and I don't want anything bigger. Is there somewhere that I can sell or donate any extra fry? And I'd like to try to eventually separate the males and females (since we'll have 2 tanks) so we won't continue being inundated with fry. How difficult is that to do?

2. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

I also have a 10 gallon with 3 balloon mollies, had them for about 5 months now and they've given birth 2 times, I let nature take its course as sad as it is...hors d'oeuvres is what we call them;/

3. OP
    OP
    Rmperron

So far the adults aren't taking any interest in eating them though. I suppose that could change.

4. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Valued Member Member

You could see if your LFS would take them. Otherwise let nature do its job.

5. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

That's good! I was actually a bit saddened but didn't have room anyway. I agree about trying your LFS and see if they can take any.

6. OP
    OP
    Rmperron

Is there a way to cycle the 55 gallon tank faster so we can get the fish into a larger space sooner? I think we'll end up bringing the males to a Petco as we don't really have any other fish suppliers in the area that I know of. We'll probably keep some of the females, but Petco won't take the fish until they're a certain size so I need more space for them in the mean time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice